I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sharpening lathe tools
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 27, 2006 11:58PM

What have some of you found to be especially effecient / good for sharpening your wood lathe tools? How much can you do with a belt sander? Precautions, suggestions very welcome! Thanks Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sharpening lathe tools
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.barrettxplore.com)
Date: December 28, 2006 12:12AM

I wouldn't use a belt sander under any condition as it is too hard to control the amount of material being removed. All of my sharpening has been done by hand using the Scary Sharp system. This system uses a piece of plate glass with different grades of wet/dry sandpaper glued to it. In the article on the link the author goes all the way down to 9000 grit. I feel this is a little too much, I have grits starting at 100 and going up to 2000. The system works!!!
[www.woodcentral.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 28, 2006 12:49AM

I use the Wolverine sharpening system by Oneway [www.oneway.on.ca] It's sold by Oneway, Woodcraft, Peen State and just about every wood working store

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2006 08:48AM

Veritas makes a great dry sharpener. The various wet wheel models from Tormek and now Jet are highly thought of.

Sharpening tools is a bit of an art form in itself. Check on some of the better woodworking books and magazines for the how-to. The difference between a tool you think is sharp and one that truly is will really amaze you.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 01:16PM

One thing you can do with a belt sander is to burn the tool rather quickly unless you have a light touch and know what you are doing. And the angles and the shape that the tools are ground to have a big effect on how they work. I too use the Oneway jig mentioned by Mike. But it is pretty expensive when you get all of the attachments. It cost about 180 to buy a slow speed grinder with 2 white wheels and the basic Oneway jig from Woodcraft. But it works pretty well. Another thing I have used in the past is the slow turning horizontal water wheels. There are some low cost models on the market and they work quite well for keeping tools sharp, but cut too slow to be much use in actually shaping the tool to start with.

I like the slow speed grinder and the Oneway jig better than all the othe ways I have tried (Diamond hones, water wheel, standard grinder, belt grinder) because it is fast to get a fair edge. I use a buffing wheel a couple of times in between grinding to prolong the life of the sharpening. My tools are probably not as sharp as they should be and the bevels don't always look pretty, but they generally cut okay. I find that I have to sharpen a lot when I am turning, like a couple of times an hour for some woods and more often if I sand then decide to use the tool again and dull it on the embedded grit.. I just don't like sharpening enough to use a slow system

Headed out to the shop today to rig up a jig to grind my jointer knives on the Oneway platform.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2006 01:19PM by Bill Moschler.

Posted by: Bill Worden (71.216.80.---)
Date: December 28, 2006 03:15PM

Contrary to the posts above, A belt sander can be very effective in sharpening tool with some practice. I owned a sharpening business for a number of years and 1" vertical belt sander can be a very versatile tool. I have shapened tools, knives, lathe tools, circular saw blades and many other objects.

The benefit of a belt sander is the ability to put very little pressure on the tool, due to the belt flex. It is also easily accessible,the tool can be placed in multiple positions and different holders and jigs can be used. The key for the inexperienced, is to start with belts that are fairly worn. And take your time.

Posted by: tony ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 07:06PM

The belt sander works fine but I prefer a hollow grind. The very best suggestion I have is to buy an 8" slow or variable speed grinder with coarse and fine Alm oxide wheels.The wood craft is very good. Get a set of cheap Harbor Freight or Penn State high speed steel (HSS) turning tools and learn to sharpen by hand without a jig. Read up on it, practice, and experiment. It's not that hard to do. By the time you grind down those cheap HF tools a bit, you'll be quite good at it and know what grind works best for you. You'll be ready for better tools and those HF chisels can then be used to grind into custom tools. Sharpening is like wood turning in that you develop a feel for it.

Tony

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 07:38PM

I use a Delta low speed wet wheel for initial grinding because it leaves a concave surface that is easier to work. I follow this with Arkansas stones and then finish using a buffing wheel to polish the edge. The best advise I can give is to touch up the tool before it gets very dull. Sharp tools are safer and easier to use.

rhr

Posted by: Andy Kelpsa (---.firstmidwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2006 10:54AM

I noticed that Harbor Freight sells a system similair to the delta refrenced above.

Anyone else use it ?

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 11:32AM

To set and maintain the geometry of my gouges I perfer to use a jig of some sort. The Wolverine system works very well with grinders and can be made to work with a belt sander (1x42"). The best value in a grinder is the 8" Slow Speed grinder from Woodcraft. It's a pretty cheap grinder but it does come with wheels appropriate for sharpening turning tools. I use this setup for grinding new geometries on my tools and sometimes for sharpening. For sharpening I prefer to use a Tormek, especially for skews. At one time I fabricated a bar mount for a small belt sander so I could use my Tormek jigs for grinding on the belt sander; works well, I just prefer to use the Wolverine.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 11:45AM

I'd have to agree with Tom's comment, but I'll tell you that I use a series of grinding stones and machine oil. Being extremely cautious to follow the angle that the tool was originally sharpened at.

I've got the most expensive chissel set that Harbour Frieght sells (and it's fairly inexpensive) and haven't had any issues with getting a good finish on my turnings.

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations

Posted by: Fred Crum (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 01:21PM

I too have tried most all the systems on the market from simple jigs to plate glass ect. Never happy with the results, I finely gave in and got a Tormek and have never looked back! Simple to use with repeatability. A bit pricy if you have to get all the attachments at once, I didn't, only got a few that I needed and continue as needed. The difference between sharp and really sharp is amazing! The diference between sharp and REALLY sharp is amazing!

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster