I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brother P Touch Labeler
Posted by: Joel Todd (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 10:22AM

Has anyone used one of these labelers with much luck as far as sticking to the blank,not lifting up after the finish has been applied,and holding up to the UV light?If so which is a good one to get.Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brother P Touch Labeler
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 10:34AM

I've been considering the Brother PT-15 labeler - its the only one I could find in its class with gold on clear labeling capability. It only has one font and one line printing, but that all i want.

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: December 27, 2006 10:47AM

Sticks to the blank just fine. Does not come up after application of finish (over CP). Has not faded yet (but I think they will). I imagined they would look great on the silver, pink, blue, and green film I bought, but...no matter how I do them...they still look awful to my eyes. Decal Connection sounds like a much better looking solution.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 11:20AM

I have used the Brother and it works well on blanks that are .440" and over. However the smaller light weight blanks the outter sealing strip will lift off when the epoxy is applied. I have tried CP but that will not keep the label from lifting but was going to try a clear coat paint or sealer that would dry a little harder to see if that would help. Other wise on the larger blanks they seem to work fine. Good luck Mark.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2006 12:19PM

Check out Casio's line, many avail on @#$%&, I use their black tape with gold lettering on the back of my weaves, up to 4 lines can be printed very small which I prefer. Other color tapes including black on clear tape which I use on my looms is avail cheap on @#$%& also.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.177.---)
Date: December 27, 2006 07:44PM

Jim,
Is the model that you have the CW-L300?

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 05:07AM

I put some Brother's labels on a number of rods well over 10 years ago. They are black over clear and gold over black and there is no sign of any fading. I also covered some of the labels with Flex Coat and I have had no sign of yellowing after 10-15 years. Still clear as Gin.

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 09:58AM

I tried a number of labels and weren't happy with the results. Short of an Alps MD-5000, I think you are very limited with font/size and colors. What I do now is cheat using clear water slide decal paper and my choice of thread color. It looks GREAT in my opinion and I can do any font/size I can find on the web. I can even add small graphics to the label if I like. As a side bonus, it looks like woven letters.

I make the label in Photoshop using the dimensions from the rod. Then I just fill in the background black and use white for a font color. Once printed on the clear waterslide, the letters are "clear" and the thread shows through. While not as nice as a label from Decal Connection, it looks "professional" and I can do it right from home.

If anyone has any questions on this, please feel free to email me.

Dave

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2006 11:08AM

Hi guys, I just posted a photo of a label I made using a brother P-touch 2600 label printer. I think they look alright for my own use but if I were building a rod for a friend I would order one from decal connection. With the 2600 you can use Photo Shop or which ever photo editing software you like to design your label, that way you get a lot more choices in fonts and font sizes. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.nas2.sho.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 30, 2006 10:34AM

I used to have to label things with a P-Touch in Telecom work. If I didn't cover it with clear fingernail polish they would come off. Clear fingernail polish kept them in position. Don't know how that would do on a rod but the reason to use clear in telecom was so it didn't show.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster