I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hot wire cutter for EVA foam
Posted by: Michael Shea (58.162.72.---)
Date: December 27, 2006 07:21AM

Hey guys,

Did a search but came up empty-handed. I'm trying to cut my EVA foam grips to suit the rear section of the Fuji SBS reel seat and am having trouble getting a perfectly fitting grip. My efforts with the belt sander turned out ok, but it was hard work and not 100% perfect (most people wouldn't notice, but I do).

So, my question is, has anyone use Nichrome wire to cut an EVA grip before and did it work nicely? I don't want to go to all that trouble to build one if it doesn't work anyway.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hot wire cutter for EVA foam
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 09:41AM

I think most use thread to cut the grip while turning on a mandrel. Remember not to wrap the thread around your fingers, but hold the thread between them only!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 27, 2006 10:02AM

Thread works great. Like Ted said, simply hold it between fingers, NOT wrapped around them!!!! Just like slicing butter

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.44.194.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 12:48PM

Michael,
You can also shape the foam grip material (either Hypalon or EVA) using a dry wall sanding screen. Just cut the screen into smaller strips and then use a lathe or power drill to turn the foam while shaping with the strip of screen. It is very effective.

Mike blomme

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 06:34PM

CAn anyone explain how it would be possible to cut the contour shape of an SBS seat with thread or drywall sanding screen?

Waht I would do is se an Exacto knife and do my best to "trace" teh shape of the seatt. I wouldn't try to be perfect, I would try to get it where I can continue to take a little bit more off each time until it fit perfectly. Obviously, this doesn't answer your question regarding the wire cutter, and is probably not as perfect as you get with teh belt sander. MAybe try using a drum sander to ge this shape?

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 06:44PM

It'd be easier to do it with square EVA stock, but failing that, try making a template and clamp from wood and allthread. Think along the lines of a split grip clamp. The radii and length measurements can be obtained from Fuji Japan's website, and traced out onto the wood. Cut 2 pieces, and cut the shape of the seat. Then, with the 2 pieces clamped together, drill them to accept the allthread. They can now be used to clamp round EVA together, and you can use either hot wire, a drum sander or a knife to follow the curves.

Posted by: Michael Shea (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 27, 2006 06:48PM

Thanks for the replies guys, but I think you've misunderstood what I mean, or I didn't communicate it a little better.

Cutting (straight lines) or shaping the grip is fine, but I need to be able to cut the curve for the SBS seat, and obviously I can't spin it in a lathe to do this cut since its a kind of S shaped along the length of the grip.

I'm trying to find a picture of the Fuji SBS reel seat, but am finding nothing at the moment.

Date: December 27, 2006 06:51PM

Nope, I get you just fine. Template out the curve onto 2 pieces of wood, drill and use allthread to align them. Clamp EVA between the wood, and cut away!!

Date: December 27, 2006 06:59PM

Thanks Billy and Ted. I didn't see your posts when I replied, but you've both given me ideas. I think combining both Ted's template idea with Billy's drum sander would work well. The drum sander will ensure that the entire grip is cut flat at the same time, and the template would be used to see when to stop the sanding.

Now to the next question, does anyone have a template for the Fuji SBS seat? Pretty much a long shot really, I guess I'll have to get off my butt and make it myself :)

Date: December 27, 2006 07:02PM

Oops!! Sorry Michael. Misunderstood the question!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.61.---)
Date: December 27, 2006 07:22PM

just one question about using thread to cut the eva.. whats the reason for not wrapping the thread round the fingers?

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Date: December 27, 2006 07:25PM

Christopher,

If the thread were somehow to get caught or wrap into the lathe mandrel, you may end up with a big hurt!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.61.---)
Date: December 27, 2006 07:49PM

ahh , i was thinking if it was due to that... thanks mike..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Date: December 27, 2006 08:03PM

Date: December 28, 2006 07:59AM

Billy, that template is for the Fuji IPS seat. The SBS seat has a different rear curve, with 2 curves of different radii. The IPS only has one. The SBS template can be found on Fuji Japan's site, in the catalogue section. The catalogue is also downloadable as a PDF's for the different sections. I can e-mail the graphite seats section if needed.

Ted...

Date: December 28, 2006 06:01PM

Thanks mate, I totally forgot about that I actually already have the full japanese catalogue. They've provided perfect measurements for me to make my own template.

Date: December 28, 2006 09:44PM

Ted, sorry about that. I knew it was for an IPS, but assumed it was close to or the same as the SBS. I also have a Fuji Japan catalouge, but it's on loaner at the present time.

Mike, good luck, post a pic when you're done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster