I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions & guide questions for Light/Ultralight Spin Jig Rod -
Posted by: Rolfe Deppe (217.33.127.---)
Date: December 25, 2006 09:52AM

Hi
This is my first post on this really excellent forum. I build rods for my own use and want to benfit form all the experience represented here in sofar as my next project is concerned. I am wanting to build a maximum 6' rod for some kickboat fishing I will be doing. I say 6' as anyone who has fished off a kick boat or similar will know it is awkward to cast accurately and do active retrieves with a longer rod. I am currently based in the UK (although lived in South Africa most of my life and also spent 18 months in CA & ID) and am wanting to build a rod that is basically for finesse jigs&grubs of 1/16th-1/8, although I will sometimes need to throw 1/32 or 1/4. I am mostly fishing for English perch (very like yellow perch but running 1-2.5lb regularly), chub (kind of sqawfish/big creek chub that average 2-4lb) and European Walleye (called Zander, locally 2-6lb). I regularly get hookups with small pike (to 24-30") and so need a bit of backbone as well. Although mostly throwing jigs/grubs, I will also throw spinners, small cranks like Megabass Griffon Baby, Smolt, tiny Pop'R' & 3" soft jerkbaits as needed. I have been using 8lb braid and will stick with this. Reel will be a Stella 1000FB.

My shortlist is as follows:

Loomis SJ700GL3
StCroix 4S60LF SCIV
StCroix 5S60LF SCV
Lamiglass LSJ700 XMG 50

I also fancy the Loomis SJ6400IMX for a real ultralight (maybe a 2nd rod?) - is the given maximum casting weight of 1/8 oz accurate, would it struggle with hopping a 1/8 grub in 10' of water? Any comments on this blank?

Otherwise, any comments that may help me decide which to go with would be helpful. If I have missed another high-end contender, please let me know. Durability is not a huge consideration as I am pretty careful. Warranty problematic anyway as no-one in the UK handles any of this sort of product so would be on my own most likely. I want to use the new Fuji TATSG single leg Concept guides - has anyone used them with braid - do they cause more tangles than the standard single foot guides? I have considered Recoil guides as well but don't fancy having to replace them 4-5 years from now which seems to be likely with braid and hard use.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rolfe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions & guide questions for Light/Ultralight Spin Jig Rod -
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2006 10:24AM

As much as I like G Loomis products, the GL3 you listed is NOT in the same class with the other three blanks. IMO, the SCV is an incredible value and a fabulous blank and therefore would be my choice from your list. Pair that blank with TYSG and TLSG guides and it will be worthy of that Stella reel.

BTW, the St Croix SCIV and SCV blanks are durable and should not give you cause for concern - as with any rod, don't overrate the blank and keep the drag appropriately adjusted and you will be fine.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 25, 2006 10:26AM

Hey Rolfe Deppe,

This is what I plan on building for an ultra-light

Below are the components I plan to build an ultralight spinning rod.
All parts are from Batson.
blank
IF662 Olv. Grn. 6'6" 2 2 0.275 3.5 Med-Fast .70oz.

reel seat
GSFG16C-TC Graphite N/A Flip Green Mtl.
Stainless Steel PVD TiCh Over Chrome Light TiCh 100mm (3.95) 15.5mm (.610)

Guides (the spool is 26 mm)
qty) 1 BMLG12 SS304 stainless steel Blk. Chrome x 2 Satin Black Hard Alum.
Oxide N/A Polished Charcoal 12 (8.10mm) 13.8mm (.543) 32.08mm (1.22)

qty 1) BMLG08 SS304 stainless steel Blk. Chrome x 2 Satin Black Hard Alum.
Oxide N/A Polished Charcoal 8 (5.55mm) 11.5mm (.453) 22.35mm (.880)

qty. 5) BMLG04 SS304 stainless steel Blk. Chrome x 2 Satin Black Hard Alum.
Oxide N/A Polished Charcoal 4 (2.33mm) 6.93mm (.273) 10mm (.395)

tip top to fit blank

BMLT04R04.0 SS304 stainless steel Blk. Chrome x 2 Satin Black Hard Alum.
Oxide N/A Polished Charcoal 4 (2.2mm) 1.6mm (4.0)

I plan on using only 4lb. test line for sun fish and small crappie.
The comment's I got are listed farther down the board

Ultra light spinning rod 268 3 Tim Hurst

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 25, 2006 11:10AM

The G Loomis GL3 SJ700 isn't in the same league as the others and that is why you want to use it. It has a lighter tip and more backbone in my opinion than any of the others listed. It's like an ultralight mag bass blank. I've caught small trout, perch, crappie, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, walleye, large trout inluding accidental steeelhead and chinook salmon on 4 and 6 lb test. I've seen no blank anything like it, and that's why it's one of my all time favorites. I know of no one who's tried one that didn't put it on their short list of rods they would always have in their arsenal.
I was introduced to it by Stan Fagerstrom a world renowned trick caster as one of his all time favorites many years ago.

Posted by: Anson Lytle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 25, 2006 05:47PM

My vote goes to the Rainshadow IS602. It's a 5.0' blank but gives you plenty of "umph" while retaining a nice sensitive tip. You might want want a little quicker action but the RS is very durable.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.gamma8.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 26, 2006 12:37AM

Rofle,

All your first choices are right on for such a light application. I have built on all these blanks. Your choice of the Fuji TATSG guides are also spot on. If you dare, reverse the stripping guide. Your second or back up choice of the Gloomis SJ6400IMX is an excellent blank for your application. Though it is only a 2-6 lb, it's extremely powerful. What I see missing is the new CTS Elite tournament series of blanks. They have a wonderful 2-6 lb, 6 footer which is also ideal for you.

Cheers,

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: December 26, 2006 11:42AM

For the fish you are chasing, I'd loose the St. Croix options. While I love St. Croix's blanks, I hate their L and UL tapers for Bass/Walleye applications. Great Panfish tapers, not so great Bass/Walleye tapers.

Take a look at the butt diameters for the L/UL rods from St. Croix and then equally rated Loomis (or other) Spin Jig blanks. They are very different blanks. And for the fish you're chasing, I'd be using a Spin Jig blank.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: December 26, 2006 01:50PM

I agree. The St Croix tapers are regular spin tapers, more suited for panfish. What you are after is a light tip for tossing those l'il spinnerbaits and plugs, grubs, etc, but with enough backbone to handle to handle pike and chub to 5 lbs. The spin-jig taper models are perfect for this, as will anything saying "mag taper". The butt diameters are the clue. Look for something with a rating of about 4-8lb. That's personally my favourite type of fishing, and that SJ700 in GL3 will suit you just fine. I use a GL2 SJ6400 that I extended to 6'2", and it's endless fun. You'll feel outclassed at first, waving such a light stick, but cup your spool and get low into the rod, and you'll really feel the power kick in. I recommend a longer rear handle as well. 9 inches from butt cap to reel stem works fine for me.

Posted by: Rolfe Deppe (217.33.127.---)
Date: December 26, 2006 04:20PM

Thanks Guys, really useful input. I guess I am now leaning toward the Spin Jig format (my original inclination). I think Ted, Matt and Spencer's comments w.r.t. the butt strength/backbone are relevant for the fishing I am doing. I have been using a S842-2 IMX a lot recently and the slowish taper is irritating when fishing slackline lures (jigs/grubs), I feel as if I am a little out of touch with the lure. Backbone is OK, but it doesn't load very quickly. I read through a thread on glass scrim versus carbon and so the CTS Elite is now on my short list (with the Loomis & Lamiglass SJ700). Problem is that Lamar's site doesn't list tip & butt diameters and the casting weight ranges seem either too light EST 721SJ (1/16th-1/8th) or too heavy EST 722SJ (1/8th-3/8th). Does anyone have any comments on the given casting weights? Also, are these blanks available ex-stock now? Do the Loomis & Lamiglass blanks listed above (GL3 & XMG50) have carbon scrim?

Thanks for the 1st guide backwards tip Anthony, will this decrease propensity for the braid to throw a loop around the guide leg? If not this, then what is the benefit?

Does anyone have any comments on matching low modulous graphite blanks to braid? It seems to me from my own limited experience fishing GL3 and IMX that GL3 is softer somehow, more forgiving than IMX. Given that braid has no stretch - is it fanciful to think that braid + high mod graphite creates a very 'abrupt' striking & playing action? Or is this pure moonshine? Clearly this thought assumes blanks identical in taper but not in graphite material. If there is something to this then that might favour the GL3 Loomis or the CTS with tip made from 33mil graphite?

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: December 26, 2006 04:48PM

Rolfe

I use superlines almost exclusively. I think only one of my 18, or more, reels has some form of superline on it. From a Loomis SJ7500 and 4 pound test Fireline to my St. Croix 76MHF Muskie stick with 80 pound Power Pro.

If you're worried about stress on the rod or on the fishes lips, use your reel drag. You can't adjust your rod taper in the heat of battle, or your line selection. But your drag has the ability to allow you a nice solid hookset and then be backed off for hard running difficult to handle fish. I prefer having a fast rod with excellent backbone and the appropriate no-stretch line versus "softening up" as I feel that is sacrificing on feel and the ability to hook fish.

Between the GL3 and IMX, I'd opt for the IMX. No glass and quite sensitive.

The St. Croix L and UL tapers are much like your S842. I have that rod as well and it is night and day different from the SJ series but very much like the St. Croix's. I also own a 5S59ULF as well. Both the 842 and 59ULF have their place, just not when I'm after Bass/Walleye.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: December 26, 2006 04:54PM

On such light gear, whether you use mono or braid, reversing the stripper will have no discernible performance benefits. The TATSG's, in addition to being different looking, offer light weight, corrosion resistance and SiC rings, but at a price. I have Alconites on mine, and aside from having to replace tip rings (my own fault: crazy stunt fishing antics), I can't fault them too much.

The CTS blanks would also fit the bill nicely. The choice depends on what weight lure you'll be throwing most regularly. From my experience in the UK, you'll be throwing between 1/8 and 3/8, so I'd go with the 722. Gives a little more hooksetting power, but will still be able to throw between 1/16 and 1/8 fairly easily.

Oh, and the 6400 in IMX is a FUN stick. You'd have no probs fishing a 1/8 jig and grub in 10 ft at all. The short length however, may have you struggling to get a big chub or perch away from nasty stuff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster