I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Oldie Turned Newbie Again Questions
Posted by: Stanley Schaefer (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2006 09:06PM

Hello,
I built custom rods for quite a few years, but I've been away from the hobby for approx 10-12 years. I still have all of my old equipment, but I'm wondering about equipment parts and upgrades, and about availability of materials. I turned all of my cork and foam grips with a drill stand using steel mandrels and a good quality rod support. I wrapped with a Clemens hand wrapper with the 8 spool thread carriage with two rod supports. I prefer to wrap by hand, but I'm considering upgrading my wrapper to use a lathe to turn handles (only cork and foam). I've read the posts about the history of the Clemens and Renzetti equipment, and I'm wondering if the current Renzetti head stock and motor mount will fit my Clemens. My unit is dated mid 90s, and it doesn't have any Renzetti stickers or markings, so I'm concerned that the current Renzetti components won't fit. I also saw a post that said that Clemens parts are still available? I don't want to endorse any particular product, but I did buy a lot of good quality equipment and material from Clemens, including their unshaped foam. Any help with a new source for quality unshaped foam or for quality equipment, tools, and materials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in adavance,
Stanley Schaefer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oldie Turned Newbie Again Questions
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 10:21PM

Stanley,
Welcome back! I have a Renzetti myself but I'm not sure what parts will interchange. I'm sure someone else will chime in here about that. I'm pretty sure that Mudhole sells unshaped EVA foam (at least they used to). There may some other venders indicated on the left list that might sell it as well. Lots of new stuff since you've been away and this forum is a great source of information too. Randy.

Date: December 22, 2006 11:17PM

Thanks for the info Randy. Yes, a lot of changes. There just wasn't much rod building information on the internet back then. I'm really excited by the advanced weaves I'm seeing. Back then, I was just beginning to dabble in multi-color weaves using a basic jig. I've noticed some interesting multi color jigs out there, so I'm doing a lot of studying. Funny how I keep trying to remember how I did things, but it's coming back a little at a time. Thanks again. I look forward to following the posts and participating in the information exchange. Anxious to get back into things!!
Stanley

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 23, 2006 12:14AM

Stanley,

Don't know where you live, but if there is ANY way that you can get to High Point, NC in Feb for the International Rod Building Expo. It's a weekend that you can't even imagine!! 2 days of seminars, , a couple 1,000 builders, most of the vendors and manufactures, etc. Check the link at the top left.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2006 09:12AM

The headstock support should fit. It pivots at the headstock and tightens at the base so there is room for slight mis-matches in bed widths. I don't think Renzetti has changed the headstock support at all, so what fit in the early 1980's will still fit now, on either.

Date: December 23, 2006 04:32PM

Mike, I live in southeast Texas. The Expo looks inviting!! I'm already begging my wife about it. I really would like to go. I'm going to try.

Thanks for the information Tom. I'm also wondering about the motor mount. I probably need to call Renzetti.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 23, 2006 04:55PM

Stanley,
Your e-mail is hidden. E-mail me at mbarkley@wowway.com

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 24, 2006 06:19AM

I have a Clemens Lathe of about the same age as yours. Andy Renzetti told me that all the parts of his new lathes will fit the Clemens lathes. The Renzetti rails have slightly different angles on the sides but the top rail edges are the same. Everything fits. I added a new 8 position Thread Carriage, Foot Pedal and a 2 more Rod Supports when I first got the lathe. Now I'll be getting a new Rolling Carriage and Motor Mount. The only parts that are not compatible are the bed rails themselves. Clemens' lathes have 4 foot bed rails and Renzetti's have 3 foot sections. Their walls do not line up. My lathe came with two 4' sections. Andy Renzetti had some extras and sold me one. I believe he since sold all he had.

As for the motor, I bought the Dayton 1/10 hp motor from a motor supplier. For a few dollars more the one Renzetti sells has a nice plug arrangement.

Andy Renzetti and all who work at the company are extremely pleasant to deal with. They will help you with all your needs. The quality, durability and ease of operation of their products are legendary. Our Clemens Lathes are really Renzetti's. By the way, I use the third rail bed as a hand wrapper. I also hand wrap on the main unit most of the time unless I am wrapping a long section.

Date: December 24, 2006 12:14PM

Thanks for the info Dave. I'm thinking I might add a Renzetti bed extension with the head stock, chuck, and heavier turning motor, to the left side of my Clemens. That'll let me use the unit as a lathe and hand wrapper, and it'll give me the added length I've needed when wrapping. In the past, I had to use a stand-alone rod support for additional support when wrapping the guides toward the tip. A four foot extension would work much better for me, but I could make it work with the shorter one.

You mentioned that you're going to add a rolling carriage. My old Clemens eight spool carriage is a rolling carriage that looks almost identical to the current Renzetti. Are there any differences, or was there a Renzetti that didn't have the rolling carriage? Renzetti's spool tensioners look to be a little better than mine, so I might also check into upgrading mine.

Yes, I'm anxious to call Renzetti and check into upgrades. I'll ask them if they might have any old Clemens extensions, but please let me know if you know where I can get one.

Also, my email address is sschaefer2@gt.rr.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2006 12:15PM by Stanley Schaefer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster