I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Totally brand new
Posted by: John Powell (---.OnlineToday.Com)
Date: December 22, 2006 09:42AM

Hello,
I love to fish. I would like to build my own rod. I have a friend that uses a fly rod to catch cat fish. I have a fly reel but I want to make a pole. Can any one help me? I would like for it to react like the "utra-lite" ugly stick. I still want to use my fly reel to catch catfish and trout.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Totally brand new
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 10:49AM

John,
You could not pick a better time to start learning about rod building than right now. There has never been so much accurate information available and much of it is totally free. The key is to build a good foundation of knowledge by learning the basics first. For that, I recommend The book " Rod-Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman. It is illustrated and easy to follow. There are also very fine instructional pamphlets by Flex Coat which are sold through many of the suppliers on the Sponsor List to the left.

Rodbuilding.org is bursting with excellent information on almost every aspect of the craft of rod building. Spend time learning the terms in the Glossary. Study the FAQ'S; read the Library Articles over and over until you understand them well. Subscribe to RodMaker Magazine for the very best detailed information of all. Last, but not least, use the Search feature of this Forum to look up any and all topics of interest to you.

Now, about your actual question:

There is not enough specific detail in your question for anyone to be able to provide a useful answer.

"I have a friend that uses a fly rod to catch cat fish" ... Well, what does that tell us? There are fly rods that can barely land a 6" cat fish and there are other fly rods that can land a 125# Channel Catfish. We need to know the size and power of your prey and the method you plan to use to attract him to the hook. Are you casting 100 feet or floating a line from a boat?

"I have a fly reel but I want to make a pole".... OK. Again.. help us with some specific details about the fly reel you plan to use with this rod. What is the line rating of your reel? Since you mention the Ulta-Lite Ugly Stick (which I am not familiar with) and the fact that you wish to catch catfish and trout it seems likely your prey are small fish. If this is so, then all your choices will need to be appropriate for small fish.

But before you begin this project learn the basics. Study the proper methods of assembling a fishing rod. Almost all fishing rods are assembled in a similar fashion. This requires certain adhesives and epoxy finish. You will learn all of this in "Rod-Building Guide".

Every part of the rod you build requires a decision to be made. Will you use a ready made cork grip? What kind of reel seat? Which type of guides? Which blanks will be similar to the one you like?

All the information you need to build this rod is available to you through this site, Tom's great book and other sources. It will take some effort on your part to gather the knowledge and for it to become clear to you. Only at that point will you be able to begin to make some choices for this project.

If you wish to take a fast track, contact any one of the fine suppliers on the list of Sponsors and tell them the details of the kind of fish you are seeking and the type of reel you plan to use.. and the way you will use the rig.. and they will likely be able to sell you a kit to build a rod that will meet your needs.

Even if you do it that way you will still benefit from learning rod building the right way.

Good luck and have fun in the process.

Dave

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 22, 2006 11:06AM

Like Dave recommended!! Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman will be the best $15 you will ever spend on this hobby/addiction.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn01.pacbell.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 02:24PM

dave is right on. and kudos to asking a vendor to help set you up given the details. they are very helpful. check the column to the left of this page. all have earned a place as vendors, usually by good customer service although there are other outlets too. and one more thing... in flyfishing, it's called a rod, not a pole. (chuckling) ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 22, 2006 03:51PM

In ANY fishing, it called a rod! Edison and AT&T use poles! LOL!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2006 06:32PM

My earliest fishing adventures were on family outings to a very modest pond in Queens, NY. I fondly recall the joy of hooking, landing and releasing some feisty little Sunfish. We used common two piece Cane Poles. If that name is improper I suggest that the popularity of the name has made it acceptable. Cane Poles may be the only exception to the ban on the "pole" designation for fishing instruments.

Posted by: Robert Gilbertson (---.dialup.fsr.net)
Date: December 23, 2006 01:30AM

John,
One thing you might consider is posting where you live. If there are any rod builders in your area I am sure that someone would be willing to let you visit and show you some of their finished rods and answer any questions that you might have. Tom's book is a must have. You will refer back to it many, many times. You should go into "my control center" above and unhide your email address so people can respond to you without filling up this forum. Good luck with this addiction!!

Bob Gilbertson

Posted by: John Powell (---.OnlineToday.Com)
Date: December 23, 2006 07:57AM

My e-mail address is: popcornmanishere@msn.com. I don't know how to change this in the control box. Robert, I live in the Dallas, Texas area. When fishing with my fly rod I am under a bridge in a floating tub and I let the fly line sink from there. It is alot of fun fighting a 9lb blue cat on the end of the rod. I will get the book. I will go see the guy at The Bass Pro fly shop in Grapevine and ask if they have it. I have two fishing shows comming up that I will attend in January one in Dallas and one in Shreveport, Lousiana I am sure they may have some equipment to get me started By the way, if anyone has a decent Jon Boat for sale I would like to know about it.

Merry Christmas to all of you

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2006 11:26AM

In, "my control center" you would just click where it says "privacy options" and then click where it says, "I confirm this is my email address."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster