I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

weight of epoxy on thread wraps
Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2006 01:57AM

Does anyone have quantitative information on the weight of epoxy used to cover thread wraps? The guesstimates in archived posts cover a wide range, from 20% to 100% of guide weight.

I am curious, for example, of the grams or grains per linear centimeter for sparingly applied epoxy that just barely covers the thread wraps on small guides.

thanks much.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weight of epoxy on thread wraps
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.saix.net)
Date: December 21, 2006 03:55AM

I'd think hat would be subject to quite some variation, depending on the epoxy used, the thread used, the size of the guide foot, and the length of the wrap over the foot.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2006 05:56AM

Also the diameter of the blank.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John Scarborough (---.244.57.148.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: December 21, 2006 08:31AM

It's a gaurantee that someone on this board has figured this out, but until they respond try this.

Get a digital gram (or smaller) scale, weigh the amount of "mix" you normally use, apply the mix to wrap/rod and then ~ reweigh ~ what is left over, subtract that number from the original and you will have the amount used. (including the "normal" waste). That is the only accurate way to know how much "You" use. Not very scientic or indepth "mathmatically," but it will give you accurate use information for specific size rods, guides, wraps, each size will be different. At best you will figure out what a square "centimeter" of epoxy weighs for that size wrap and guide .

I did this a few years ago trying to determine how much finish I was using on pool cues. Cues are much more consistant in size so I didn't have to make to many samples before I knew how much I was averaging, but with fishing rods [?], Thousands of variables.....but details are what makes a good rod maker........

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.177.---)
Date: December 21, 2006 08:57AM

Steve,
There is an article in RodMaker, Volume #8-issue #3, titled Guide Weight And Rod Performance that goes through the affect of the weight of guides including the weight of the thread and epoxy on a rods performance. It will not give you the affect of the particular guides you are using and the way you apply epoxy is also a variable but it will give you a pretty good indication.
You might also want to consider getting one of the small, inexpensive, battery power, digital scales. They are only about $30 and do a good job of measuring the weight of guides, epoxy and thread.

Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2006 11:38AM

fellas, thanks for the replies. In this situation my concern is with small guides high up on a fly blank, so the blank diameter can be readily taken as "pretty darn skinny" and I think we all know what sparingly applied epoxy looks like, when it just barely covers the thread wraps. My question of epoxy weight "per cm linear length" eliminates the issue about how long the wrap is. And density variances among brands of epoxy, I'd guess, are pretty small - these things occupy a narrow range of physical properties across the full range from air to glass.

in any case, I have access to laboratory balances that work quite well, quite low. What I lack is the time to conduct my own experiment, but sometimes it is the only way. I build only 1 or 2 rods annually, so getting out all the stuff and doing this on the kitchen table entails more hassle and familial grief than just asking around.

thanks again

EDIT:

found this very precise information in an old post by Robert Ketley:

"I carefully removed a No 4 snake guide (ID 18/64ths) and its wraps from an old 6 wt fly rod. I weighed the wraps and the guide on some lab scales. This is what I found:

Snake guide - 0.18 grams
Wraps and coating of finish from guide- 0.0395 grams

Now, some of the finish would obviously be stuck to the blank, so lets double the weight to 0.079 grams, just to be safe. This would mean a total guide + wrap weight of 0.259 grams"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2006 01:33PM by Steve Perakis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster