I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod Builders International
Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: December 22, 2006 04:14PM

This thread has sparked some heartfelt reactions and inteligent input, which I believe varifies a need for some sort of organization to take the helm to promote and lead the custom rod building profession to be just that-A recognised profession.

If the RBI can fill this need, and Joe Douglas is willing to head up such an organisation, then he has my support, in any way I can provide it !

And in my opinion, this forum, lead with sense and sensitivity by Tom Kirkman will continue to provide the best available exchange of information there is on the subject of custom rod building for any one who cares to look, and more if they choose. This serves the need for education on the subject of rod building as well as could be done !

I for one, will keep on learning here.

Earl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2006 04:23PM by Earl Hamilton.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2006 11:17AM

I think that this concept has a ton of merit and could a beneficial venture, however I would add some input to one area. That being the certification process. I personally believe that much forethought on that is going to be a necessity before implementing it. I can forsee some people signing their posts on the various forums ______ ______ RBI certified. Others, not quite so vain, not doing so, much like we presently see. Or " His opinion isn"t really valid, he isn't certified" It doesn't take much for these little nit picking disputes to start.

Look what is already happening just with this thread. One gentleman feels that guild members will come aboard, while another is admonishing him about a post on the guild forum.

About a year ago, I took a vehicle to a repair shop that serviced all of the company fleet. A really nice facility with all of the modern diagnostic equipment. ASE certification sighn on all the walls. ASE patches on everyone's sleeve. There was a 1969 Corvette sitting there that no one could perform a tune up because it was equipped with a breaker point ignitioon system which many of you know preceeded the all electronic controls (ECM, PCM, etc) I had to show them how. One of the mechanics had an old dwell meter that belonged to his dad, but knew not how to use it. BUT, HE WAS CERTIFIED BY ASE.

As I said, I think it can be a great thing, but much thought will be necessary. Also, all of the above wind blowing, of mine certainly doesn't imply that I know the answers

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2006 11:37AM

I've spoken with Joe about this and the type "certification" thing he has in mind is not what anybody else is doing. There are good models available for this type of thing in other craft endeavors such as the Knife Makers Guild, the American Association of Wood Turners, etc. It's not as easy as just having a guy glue up a handle and wrap and finish a guide and then say, "Okay, you're certified." Joe has worked in the computer/information technology field and knows a thing or two about cataloging best practices and holding instructional courses. He knows what he's doing.

But rather than put the cart in front of the horse, let's let Joe proceed with his initial work which will be to build a "brand awareness" for RBI. The main thrust initially should be to elevate the image of custom rods and custom rod builders in the eyes and minds of the fishing public.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2006 12:12PM

Tom, I am one hundred percent in agreement with what you are saying. All I meant, was that when it came time for that sort of thing, that planning would be critical, only because of human nature. I would not be at all surprised to learn that Joe, with input from you and maybe others have already covered most of the issues that would be involved.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.gamma8.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 23, 2006 10:36PM

I don't think RBI will be anything as serious as AIIM. However, from my business experience and association with many international associations, what is most important are standards and best practices. Without these careful considerations, what certification can we base on. So, what Joe is now setting out to do is very commendable and I admire such an individual who is willing to put his time and money to hatch such a noble cause where people like me will benefit. Joe, though I am not from the US, but as the name RBI implies, I will definitely support your endeavours.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.hostforweb.com)
Date: December 24, 2006 09:41AM

I think Joe can succeed if he can go about his business unimpeeded by others involved. I have reason to fear that there will be some who will not want what he is doing to succeed.

If we do not remember the past then we are doomed to repeat it. Does anyone here recemember rod building past? Let me refresh some memories just in case.

In 1998 or 1999 Tom Kirkman helped launch the rod builders guild with a major announcement in the pages of Rodmaker magazine. He pushed the Rodcrafter seminars in the pages of his magazine as well. I remember seeing the entire seminar schedule for Rodcrafters published there. Now he is pushing the launch of Joe's RBI organization in the pages of his magazine. I think Tom's stand on helping anyone who is for the good of rod building is pretty well documented. It is not heresay but historically recorded in print. He has helped everyone at some time or another.

But look at the other shoe. The first report in the old Rodcrafter Journal about Tom's magazine was an insult at what he was doing. The first report that Rodcrafters ran about the then new rod builders guild was also pretty unflattering. Rodcrafters was not out to help, but to tear down what others were doing because they saw it as competition to their rod building empire. Luckily it fell on its own.

Now fast forward and ask yourself, do you really think the guild will publicize Joe's RBI organization? Will they push it and recommend that people join? Do not hold your breath. For all their posturing on how they believe we should all work together for the good of custom rod building I do not think you are going to see a glowing editorial in their next issue of the journal about how they think Joe is doing something positive for the rod building hobby and that everyone should consider joining. If Joe's lucky they will just say nothing. If he's not lucky then he should expect to come under fire from them.

The only good thing about all this is that if history does repeat itself then Joe will succeed and those who would want to stand in his way will fall by the wayside.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: December 26, 2006 09:18AM

Amen.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster