I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Wrap tightness
Posted by: ALTON BENTLEY (---.bragg.army.mil)
Date: December 20, 2006 03:44PM

I am trying to do a butt wrap for the first time and my questions is when applying the thread how tight should it be? I have had some of the threads puff up and some come loose. Seems like when I do the packing, end up loosening one or two threads. Also, when should I pack the threads? Any tips on this would truly be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Wrap tightness
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2006 04:33PM

Tough question Alton,
You have to find what works best for you. I like to wrap with a moderate loose tension.
To tight and it's hard to pack and push things back into alignment if needed. To loose
and you get that puffyness in some areas. Takes a bit of practice to find what works for
YOU.

I pack every 4 or 5 passes most of the time. When and where I pack kind of depends on
the complexity of the wrap and if it's a closed wrap or not. I closed wrap needs more
packing as you get closer to completing it most of the time.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: December 20, 2006 05:36PM

I wrap pretty darn tight, at least as tight as my guide wraps. I really don't like things popping up and out of place on a wrap, and yes it has happened while experimenting on how tight to wrap. Depending

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2006 07:24PM

I was surprised when Billy Vivona showed me the tension that he wraps with.It is pretty tight.I had done a complicated closed wrap with what I thought to be enough tension and when CP was applied it loosened up.It was savable thanks to the rod gods.Unless someone can show you in person its hard to put a figure on it.Maybe some tests on a scrap to see the reaction when CP (if used) is applied and to see if the wrap is packable.When it is too tight this can be a chore and the thread fuzz`s up at the intersect points.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 20, 2006 07:42PM

Snug and consistant...too tight presents a problem when packing, and too loose is a different animal when you add CP. "Snug" by my definition is " a tension you find comfortable with by trial and error" or " halfway between loose and tight".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster