I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod length and performance?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: December 18, 2006 07:48PM

Hello all. I have a question. A friend asked me to build him a 6 weight fly rod for smallmouth bass. He has tried my 6 weight, medium-fast blank but wants more "punch". I have looked over various 8'6" and 9 foot blanks and was curious if rod length makes a difference with casting performance? All things being equal, does six inches make a difference if the primary use for the rod is casting small to medium bass bugs?
Any input would be appreciated.
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod length and performance?
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 18, 2006 08:08PM

Tom,

What do you mean by "performance"? More distance? More line control? Etc... Were both rods of same model and manufacturer? In my opinion after 30 years of casting, I would up it to a weight wt fly rod. Reason is the 7 wt line has more mass to turn over heavier or more wind resistance flies. Also, when the wind comes up, casting a fly like the mentioned would be much better.

And yes, lenght has a factor in casting distance IMO. But, you get to a point to where the longer the rod is more of a hinderance when the wind comes up due to trying to move the big "lever" (fly rod) on your back cast and forward cast.

The one rod that comes to mind for this application is the G. Loomis IM 9' 7wt. Also, I have herd that the Dan Craft blanks are fast action as well and a very good value.

One more thing and I will stop babbling-is the corrrect "taper" of fly line. Using a "bass-bug" taper line compared to a longer bellied line will make all the difference in the world in the way the rod "feels" to him when casting. The rod will "load" (Fancy flyfishing term for BEND) faster with the bass-bug taper line than say a GPX line from Scientific Anglers. Anyway Tom, I hope I helped ya. I'm a rookie rod builder but the fly rod casting performnce topic got my attention and can help ya with.

Merry CHristmas...
Paul

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 18, 2006 08:16PM

I guess it all depends on how well your friend can cast but for bass bugs I would go with a nine footer.
Especially if the rod is going to be fast action the extra six inches might make a difference. I have an eight and a half six weight in moderate action that I cast small flies with but switch to an eight weight nine footer for larger flies. The eight weight is a moderate action rod and the more I practice the better I like that action. It is so nice to be able to make a smooth and accurate cast and not have to "punch" my casts. This morning I spent a couple of hours practice casting on a pond. There are some cattails in the pond and I pretend that there is a bass hiding in them and make cast after cast to the edge of the tails to improve my accuracy. That is how I practice.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2006 08:41PM

If you your friend is of sound build and isn't old or feeble, then a 9 footer should be good for him. Everything else Paul told you is good information. Go for the total package of line, bugs and rod so that everything works together well.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2006 01:03AM

If you friend is going to cast from a canoe, float tube, or otherwise be low in the water he may want to consider a 10'.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: December 19, 2006 10:07AM

Think about the bass bug being 6" closer or further from your right ear.

I go with the 9'. I acutally built a 8.5' six weight and it just sits in the drawer. For me it was just too much work trying to push heavy flies with a light line and trying to make it up on velocity. I wanted a little more punch too. I now fish with a 9', 7wt. for small flies and bugs. I go to a 9 wt if I am trying to toss something really wicked in size.

I do not like the "bass bug" taper lines. The short head just makes the whole thing seem "jerky" when you get a lot of line out. I would rather go up one line size on the same rod than throw the bass taper.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: December 19, 2006 11:18AM

6 inches will make a difference, I am an advocate of increased lengths, up to the point weight or cumbersome clutter becomes an issue. You must remember that 6 inches of additional rod length on the end of a long cast where you need to move the dropping line right or left to avoid an stick up or obsatical will only move the line an inch or two at best, but sometimes thats all you need. If you have the arm strength to wield the longer rods it will give you greater casting distance and hook setting power if the blank is stiff, if it is a long noodle rod casting mono line, you will have exaggerate the hook set to make up for all the give in the rod and stretch in the line

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: December 19, 2006 01:24PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I will pass on the information and see what my friend wants to do. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster