I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy
Posted by: Mark Lawton (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 17, 2006 06:51PM

Hey, Im new to rod building and was wondering if you have to use the brand name epoxy like U 40 rod bond or can i just get some araldite from the hardware store. also any help on what tools i need would be good.
Cheers Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2006 06:59PM

Use any liquid type slow cure epoxy for grip and handle assembly. Do not use it for coating your thread wraps, however.

Date: December 17, 2006 07:01PM

should i use a rod finish for that??

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2006 07:03PM

Yes, check the sponsor list to the left and consult with one to get you a good product for what you're doing. The thread coating epoxies are a bit different than the adhesive epoxies.

Date: December 17, 2006 07:05PM

Ok thanks for your help

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 17, 2006 07:33PM

Mark,

I strongly urge you to get a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman from one of the vendors to the left. It will take you step-by=step with pix through the entire process and explain how, what and why. It will be the best $15 you will ever spend on this craft!! Also, readt the articles in the library at the top of this page as well as the FAQ's and Glossary.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Patrick Hoppe (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 08:44PM

I am also fairly new and tried flex coat for a year and then thread master and so far I like the thread master from Lamar better. Also the videos from Putter is GREAT.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 10:32PM

You can use several slow cure epoxies that are available at your local hardware but if you use U40 Rod Bond you'll likely prefer it to the others as it has a Vaseline like consistency that keeps it where you place it with out running and it is handy for household needs as well. Great stuff and easy clean up.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2006 11:32PM

i used loctite 60min epoxy for my first cork grip and its like a rock...$3 for a thing of it and it comes in 2 syringes that are together and you push them out in equal parts without measuring

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 18, 2006 12:50AM

Jon,

If you look at the number of grips that you can do with a Rod Bond kit vs the Loctite, I think that you will actually find the Rod Bond cheaper in addition to being far superior

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 18, 2006 12:57AM

yeah i know im going to use the rod bond on the rods i build now...i only used the loctite because it was my first rod and i didnt want to wait for someone to ship the rodbond haha

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2006 01:15AM

Most epoxy adhesives work for gluing grips & seats but you can not find
anything better than U-40 RODBOND!! Hands down!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster