I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need a slow motor for rod drying go here!
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 11:41AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a slow motor for rod drying go here!
Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: December 16, 2006 12:31PM

Many of the forum sponsors have in stock or can easily get
drying motors, chucks, rod stands, ect... and provide top
notch service to boot! Why go anywhere else??

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 16, 2006 02:01PM

Here is one good reason. I had a Flex Coar dryer motor and stand and after 15 or so years the motor stopped working. So I go and spend for a new motor and stand. The first motor was a 6 RPM and my new one is 18 RPM. If I had known about Surplus Supply I could have gotten the same motor for $9 instead of paying $75 for another motor and stand (not as good a quality as the original Flex Coat Motors) and put it on the old motor stand. In fact I will order a 6 RPM motor from SS and take the Flex Coat off of the stand and use it for drying flies. I prefer the 6 RPM on my rod dryer. I would order the motor from one of our sponsors if I could get the same motor with the same torque for $9.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2006 02:32PM

Good luck getting 15 years out of a $9 motor. I have three in my garage that didn't make it for ONE year combined. The "Intermittent duty" shown in the item's description is the first clue. Leave a heavy rod on these over night a handful of times and they're pretty much used up. All you have to do is wake up one time to the rod stopped and the finish sagging to the bottom, an the extra $20 for a Flex Coat replacement motor doesn't sound so bad...

Ellis, if you still have your old Flex Coat unit, you can get their replacement motor for about $30 and put it back in service.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 02:55PM

Mark,

I am 100% in favor of using sponsors unless the item cannot be purchased from them. In the case of drying motors, you pretty much have only a couple of speeds available from vendors whereas many builders have other speed as well as configuration preferences (multiple motor setups, adjustable height for leveling, etc.). One other point is that I have had two different "name brand" drying motors (well in excess of $50 each) that had the IDENTICAL motors that I purchased for $3 each.
I will always support the sponsors here, as long as the prices are reasonbly close, but you can't expect people to pay many, many times the cost for an IDENTICAL (right to the brand name) item when they can save that money and spend it on more components from the sponsors....................

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2006 03:00PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 03:00PM

Hello I support the vendors on on the left , But their are alot of fellows that are using BBQ rotisserie motors also! So please Don't be so Judgmental. The more money I have I spend on Blanks and Guides. Jay P/S My Surplus was new and motor has been running for the last 1 1/2 years with no problem. . Sorry Mike we were typing at the same time.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2006 03:20PM by Jay Dubay.

Date: December 16, 2006 03:15PM

I agree with Mike and Jay. For example, if I can get the same spool of thread for a dollar cheaper elsewhere and it is the same brand, I will buy it from a non-sporsor to save money to spend on rod blanks. Afterall, we can't run to Home Depot or Ace Hardware to buy blanks, we buy them from our sponsors after some searching to see who has the best price for the item.

Date: December 16, 2006 03:25PM

Easy there fella's... Judgmental? Where'd THAT come from? The whole point was saving a few bucks on an "unknown" motor isn't always a savings in the long run.

Mike, if you can get the Hankscraft (Flex Coat OEM) motors for $3, that's awesome. Get all you can! I've contacted them directly and the quantity needed to get them down to Flex Coat's price wasn't worth doing.

There was nothing said nor intended in my post about getting motors from sponsors. The Flex Coat unit was referenced, so I spoke to that. That's a PROVEN motor for the application. Believe me, I've heard plenty of horror stories of home made dryers going down at the worst possible time.

As far as rotisserie motors, it you can get a deal on one, GREAT. If the price of the motor and your time to turn it into a dryer is a savings, great again! At least you know that a rotisserie motor was intended to turn a pound or more for several hours at a time. The duty cycle on MANY gear motors isn't like that. They're meant to come on for a few seconds, do their task and shut off. Without knowing the duty cycle, torque, etc..., they're liable to cause more grief than the money saved is worth.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: December 16, 2006 04:32PM

Mark,

I agree with you about the motors and don't think that I was jumping on you, or anyone else!!. I will say though that I have several $3 motors that have been in use for several years so far and I have also had cheap and expensive both motors fail.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 16, 2006 05:07PM

Didn't mean to sound harsh here either, Mark. I just wish Flex Coat had kept their original motor they had on the dryer. Actually, I had more like 20 years use out of it and the one now is already making a churning sound. I don't think it has the torque capacity that the old one did. Who knows, only time will tell. When I see Roger I will tell him that I don't like his motor. I once complained that I didn't like his color preserver and he said, "Don't use it." After nearly 30 years I am still using it and have grown to like it.

Date: December 16, 2006 05:55PM

Mike,

I don't feel like you jumped on me. Many of the readers on the board see a sponsor's post and simply assume it's to sell something, which is true very often. A lot of sponsors ONLY post when they see an opportunity to sell something. That seems to be what many readers have come to expect and in fact stops me from replying to a lot of posts!

That wasn't my intent at all, but I can see that's not how it was taken. Fact is, I don't even stock gear motors because like I posted, I can't get a "proven" unit with a warranty cheap enough to make it worth while for any one involved.

I'm a "tinkerer" and made much of my first equipment myself. It was about this time of year many years ago when I awoke to find a xmas rod that I was building for my Son "guides down" with finish dripping off them after the dryer had quit before the finish set-up. That was a "heavy duty" version of the two motors I'd already burned up that same year. I marched down to Bob Marriot's Fly Fishing, coughed up $85 (way too much) for a Flex Coat dryer and have never looked back. 200+ heavy rods later, it's still going (literally, it's running as I type).

Granted, not everyone is in a position to buy a factory built dryer. Especially when they're just starting out. There's a lot of stuff to buy and many look to the dryer as a place to shave a few bucks. However, it's hard to convey the feeling that I had in my gut that December morning without it looking like a sales pitch. MANY of our walk in customers that purchase dryers have similar stories. I could go on and on about it, but why? Most reading it read it put the “salesman” spin on it and disregard it anyway.

Ellis, don’t take Roger’s comments personally. He’s one of the most sincere people you’ll ever meet. He’s commented to me that he wished he didn’t have to sell CP. Look at posts on ANY brand of CP and you’ll know what he meant. I’m sure what he said to you just didn’t come out right. IMO, he’s probably the most stand up guy in the business. Also, your gear reduction (18RPM VS 6) probably has more to do with the reduced torque than the motor itself.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2006 06:14PM by Mark Griffin.

Date: December 16, 2006 06:56PM

Mark,

I've NEVER thought that you were pushing anything. Please don't shy from responding to posts because you are a dealer. You and Andy Dear are two people that have great reputations and whose opinions are valued on this board!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: December 16, 2006 08:47PM

Ditto Mike!! That's a FACT!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 08:49PM

[www.surpluscenter.com]

This on might be better as it's a continious duty motor

Thanks for the link Jay. Merry xmas :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2006 08:50PM by Jan Zeiters.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 09:01PM

Mark,, Andy,, I am with Mike, If you have anything , product, info, good advice, good joke , anything that might help someone, you jump right in here among us. You never know when someone might be needing exactly what you have to offer and don't know where to get it. I for one need to pick your brain quite often. Thank you guys for posting !

JBH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster