I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork turning capabilities
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2006 10:20AM

Been doing some research on higher end rod wrapping machines and some say they spin fast enough to turn cork?

How effective and accurates are the wrappers in doing this?

Do the higher end chicks accept mandrels? etc.

Any info and/or personal experiences would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork turning capabilities
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 10:59AM

I'm pretty certain that the Renzetti, CPW, etc, are capable of turning cork but I just can't imagine turning cork anywhere near where I wrap and build rods. The dust gets everywhere and I don't think it can be completely avoided no matter what you do.

If you don't want to get a mini lathe and only plan on turning cork, EVA, I'd suggest a Grizzly Hobby Lathe (well under $100) . Light weight, very portable and can be taken outside and set on a couple saw horses Works quite well and is favored by a lot of builders [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2006 11:40AM

Yes, but realistically, probably only the Renzetti and the Custom power wrap units are capable of turning cork with any regularity. The Amtak/Pac Bay wrappers just aren't substantial enough to turn a lot of cork. I do use mine occasionally to finish sand or even up a grip.

Both Renzetti and CPW units have regular lathe chuck options and the Renzetti has a heavy-duty drive motor that would be a good choice if you were planning on turning any cork. Both also have tail stock kits that would be very useful for using mandrels or for any boring.

However, I heartily agree with Mike that it's a good idea to separate your cork turning area from the wrapping/finishing area. I know some people don't do this but you will need to consider the air cleaning devices that Tom and others have recommended to avoid having the dust haze on everything. A decent dust collection or vaccum system, along with the box fan/furnace filter would be needed to keep the dust at a manageable level. I've settled on my lathe in the garage and my wrapping and finishing work upstairs in the rod shop. This works for me.

Also, when you get all the options on the Renzetti or the CPW, to have an effective cork-turning and wrapping station in one machine, it is probably more money than buying a less expensive wrapper and a quality wood lathe like the PSI Turncrafter pro or the Jet. If space is your premium, and you only have room for one tool, then the CPW or the Renzetti will be a good investment.

Good luck!

Terry

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 02:57PM

My partner and I have 3 Renzetti rod lathes. Two of them are used to wrap rods the other is used to turn cork grips and Eva or any other grip material. The two we have for wrapping rods are located in a dust free environment while the one we use for cork turning is located in another location with a hi-vac system to help solve the dust problem. The one we use to turn cork has a 1/2 horse motor so it's strong enough to turn anything I want to turn. I think the max. rpm on the 1/2 horse model is close to 1700. I've found that the higher rpm's are whats needed to shape
eva or hypalon foam grip material. You can use the 1/10 horse power motor to turn cork and I have done so in the past but I perfer to use the larger motor, just seems to yield better results.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 03:47PM

I would get a dedicated lath and some mandrels from {Andy Dear} Their are some good sales out their right now. Hit, Amozon.com

Date: December 16, 2006 04:39PM

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone that I know that started turning cork/EVA on a Rod lathe or Grizzly (myself included) ended up buying a wood lathe to do Wood, Acrylic, Bark and who knows what else!!! Making grips, reel seats is addictive. Save yourself a step and get a wood lathe.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2006 04:49PM

Yes, sales are on for wood lathes.

PSI Turncrafter pro, 18" between centers, 1/2 hp motor (not variable speed) for $220.

Grizzly 1/3 hp motor variable speed $159.

Both from Amazon.

Buy now! Quick, before the price goes down again! :-)

Terry

Date: December 16, 2006 05:04PM

I'd be real leery of anything like the Grizzly, Harbor Freight, etc. many are not capable of screwing a chuck on to them, getting extension beds (which you would want to bore out full grips or turning stock to place on mandrels for turning) and other accessories. The Turncrafter, like the comparable Jet, Delta and Rikon can change speeds by moving the belt to different pulleys
Turncrafter Pro is available direct from PSI for $199 with the extension bed [www.pennstateind.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2006 06:30PM

For the price of one of the high end Renzetti units, you could buy a Amtak/PacBay/Batson wrapper AND a PSI Turncrafter. To me, the ability to have seperate dedicated machines would make this a no-brainer.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster