I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weaving and thread sizes
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2006 07:52PM

I probably get asked 10 or more times a week "How does thread size affect a pattern" Since I recentely updated my first ever weave pattern I thought it was a good time to make a visual reference for everyone to see the possibilities. Please checj out the photo section if you are interested in 4 possible combinations. Of course there are a lot of variables like wrapping tension, thread sources etc. but this can give you a little idea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weaving and thread sizes
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 08:27PM

Doc, I like the way the A and D weave came out. One question, on your weave of the jumping salmon, how do you get the effect of the top of the fish? It looks like gray with black dots. Do you do that by weave black thread in and out or is that some type of varigated thread?

Date: December 15, 2006 08:45PM

Hi Ellis. I am partial to the A and B combination, probably because of the giant Yellowfin I got in '91. The bigger guys are a bit blunter when they get in the heavy 300s. Personal preferences but the 4 patterns can give you pretty good ideas of sizes and shapes. The Salmon is all movement of thread. In this particular case you notice the main thread is black so the spots were made by just moving a thread back for one turn then back in the pattern. Dont get me wrong in some cases you can use varigated thread to get special effects in fins and even the body but not in this case.(unfortunately -LOL)

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 09:36PM

Thanks Doc. As you can see, I am used to catching skinny fish except for fat sheephead that Bill Stevens calls "Bay Snapper." They are actually very good eating.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 10:54PM

Doc I love your work I do some weaving to .I am asking santa claus for your advance weaving technigues . Hope i get it .Keep up the good work .

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 15, 2006 11:50PM

Doc, you are truly Santa Claus. Another question, should I use nylon or ncp threads for such weaves?

Merry Christmas.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2006 12:44AM

Thanks Doc!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 16, 2006 01:41AM

They both work just fine Anthony. Just depends on what shades you are looking for. I mix and match all the time. I guess that is where the artist eye comes in. Experiment and have fun. Welcome Ray and if I dont get a chance to say it latere Merry Christmas to All of you out there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster