I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Orientation of double foot guides.
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.atlsf)
Date: December 15, 2006 11:24AM

Picky, picky, picky - I know that, traditionally, stamped double foot guides are oriented with the single post forward and the double post aft. However, I just purchased four Fuji TSVSG #16 "V" shaped strippers to use on 9 - 10wt rods. Per Tom's advice I am now using these i/s of the TNSG because the rings are about the same height as a #20.
The only problem is that they seem to be cocked a little forward when placed on a level surface. And, when placed on the tapered blank it is worse. If I oriented them "backward" with the double post forward, they were perfect. Now I know the frames can be bent using two opposing pair of pliers, but that takes a lot of trial-and-eror bending to get it just right where the feet are snug to the blank. I would prefer not to do this.
Has anyone dared oppose tradition and mounted them backward?
And, is there some structural reason that they should be mounted with the single post forward.
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orientation of double foot guides.
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 11:33AM

Scott or Thomas & Thomas used to mount them "backwards" some years ago if I remember right. Some of the Japanese spinning rods have the stripper single foot on backwards. I don't think it makes a difference performance wise.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: December 15, 2006 12:20PM

I have a couple of old T&Ts left over from my factory days. The stripper is on "backwards". I think from a thread back awhile ago this was discussed. It seems that the thinking or at least marketing was this helped with line flow. I'm not really sure if it does or doesn't. I do know that these are excellent casting rods. However I don't think the performance is helped or hurt by the orientation of the guides in this case. I think if you place them temporarily and test and one orientation is better than the other then use it. Performance trumps tradition in my way of thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2006 12:23PM by Steve Rushing.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 12:26PM

I would venture that the "right way" is the one that best suits you for the purpose you have in mind.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2006 12:42PM

In this case, the line will never know which way the frame is oriented so it really doesn't matter.

Bending the guide is really not much trouble. In fact, for the problem you have there, you can place your thumb and forefinger solidly across the ring area and then press the guide feet down onto flat table, and then simply apply pressure to the ring area to bend the upper frame back to the alignment you wish. I assume we're only talking about a little adjustment.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.atlsf)
Date: December 15, 2006 03:54PM

I am going to have to bend the 16's. My 12's came in today and they are perfectly upright.
Tom, the frames are pretty heavy guage Ti. I don;'t think they will conform to the shape I want with finger pressure. Also, afraid I will cause the ring to pop out; if not now, maybe sometime in future.
Fiji does turn out some nicely finished guides.
Herb

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2006 07:09PM

You have to grasp the ring area so that the bend will take place below the actual ring. You may be able to grasp this area under the ring with a pair of fine needle nosed pliers and bend it back a bit that way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster