I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rotis. motor
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 14, 2006 11:42PM

what type of store would i goto to find a rotisserie motor? ive tried home depot and lowes and such with no luck....

also me and my friend had an idea for a rod wrapping motor and we are going to build it...ill post pics when its up (its just a joke thing...R/C car nitro motor HAHA spins 20,000rpm)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rotis. motor
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 06:11AM

With the right pulleys that could work.The Big box stores should have the motor although it is a seasonal item.If you have a grill suplier in the area or a bbq web site that may be the ticket.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Church (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 06:20AM

You can get one on @#$%& for about 10 bucks plus shipping. You must live in the north somewhere. I work at Home Depot in Florida and we have rotisserie motors.

Tom Church

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 08:04AM

Salvation Army stores, garage sales, second hand stores..... Bob

Posted by: Brent Salfen (---.lincodiagnostics.com)
Date: December 15, 2006 08:54AM

I bought my rod-building kit from Cabelas. It had a video tape from Flex-Coat on rod-building, wrap stand, thread tensioner, brace for the drying step (felt padded V stand) and a rotisserie motor among a lot of other small tools. I think it cost $50 bucks. On the rotisserie motor, I bought a PVC end cap, drilled a hole in the center of the inside "cup" part and pushed it on the rotisserie shaft. I then drilled four screw "studs" around the rim of the cup part and criss-crossed them with heavy rubber-bands. I put the rod butt in between these rubber bands and the rubber bands have enough "grab" to hold the rod while it turns. (I'm sure the sponsors of the board here have better starter kits- so I would look there first and support the board).

Posted by: Brian Clark (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 08:56AM

Ensure you check out what rpm the rotisserie motor runs at. I built my first turner using a rotiisserie motor not knowing at the time that it only ran at 1 rpm. It still worked alright, although way to slow for applying finishes. I still use it occassionally for drying if I get more than one rod on the go.

Br1an

Posted by: tony giacone (69.85.233.---)
Date: December 15, 2006 10:32AM

you can get a rotisserie motor at sears. i just built my first rod and the rotisserie motor worked fine for drying. i applied my finish by hand the put it in the motor. but i'm thinking i might buy a different motor from one of the sponsors or cabela's. it just depends on how many more rods i build.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 15, 2006 12:12PM

i tried home depot and they said they stopped carrying them but ill try sears and everything you all suggested and if not ill have to order it online

i only need it for the drying process because everytime i apply finish right after that i seem to have to leave and end up with drips in the finish from not being able to turn it

thanks for all the replies everyone :D

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 16, 2006 11:18AM

Go here and save$$ [www.surpluscenter.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster