I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which One ????????
Posted by: Dave Orr (70.54.206.---)
Date: December 12, 2006 11:53PM

OK, so I'm just getting into this hobby & I would like to know what speed motor I should get to build my drier? What speed is best for applying finish? I have seen tons of motors from 4.8 to 40 rpm. I could use info on what speed is good for what.
Please help...........My Brain Hurts :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which One ????????
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 12:32AM

I've got driers from 4rpm to 11rpm I've seen them up to around 20rpm. I like 4 or 6rpm as a rule

Faster is not necessarily better. What you're after is a flawless finish. That's gonna depend on your mixtures, thickness, CP or none, and the environment in your building area - such as, humidity Also, the slower drier motors make great application spinners - put your rod in the supports, start the motor, and apply the finish right around the rod. This speed also works when you're varnishing a rod or grips

- hope that helps.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 13, 2006 12:32AM

Welcome Aboard!!! Everybody has their favorites. The most common (I think is 18 rpm). I have motors ranging from 3 to 40 but I have settled on the 3 rpm. Actually, I get the best finish by hand turning for an hour and then turning on the dryer. Some apply at high speed, but I think that most apply while hand turning. If you build a dryer, I think that the most critical thing is to be able to have the rod PERFECTLY level while turning

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: December 13, 2006 02:53AM

Dave,

I am pretty new at this as well, but have a little experience since I have built about 20 rods so far. I have found that the slow RPM motors (mine is 4RPM) works very well for drying. I use a combination of hand turning and then transitioning to the motor for giving me the best results without having to babysit it too long. As far as applying finish is concerned, it is more difficult and time consuming for me with the slow motor and I had a hard time getting nice straight lines out past my wraps with hand turning to apply the finish. I now apply my finish with a 44RPM motor and I can't say enough about how well it has helped me speed up the application process as well as helping me achieve those straight lines. I would say that for ME, I would not go with anything slower the 44RPM motor for applying finish. If anything, maybe a little faster wouId be better. I have even read where some use up to a 200RPM motor for applying finish. The only thing I wish I had, was some sort of slip clutch to stop the rod to do some minute touchups around the guide feet and such. Hope I have been of some help.

TJ

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 03:10AM

I've tried faster & slower but I think the 18rpm drying motors suit me best. Also, the epoxy mixer described in RodMaker magazine & on this site works very well with 18rpm. I haven't had a bad mix since I built mine. Ralph

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 05:06AM

mike brought up a good point. make sure the blank is level before starting to apply thread finish.

i use a 6rpm dryer for applying finish, although i start off by hand with the individual guide feet tunnels first. i think the slower turning motors like 3-6rpm are just fine for the actual drying portion but in the application, i have found my 6rpm to be just a bit on the slow side for me. the problem for me (and so far i have been using mostly flex coat lite though occasionally the heavy build) is that by the time i reach the end of my typical 8-9 foot fly rod the finish starts to set just a tad more than i'd like. 6rpm works for me, but i think i would like something faster someday, like 11 or 18rpm.

i think tom's magazine had an article once and brought up the point many beginners take too long to apply finish. i think it should take no more than a minute for each guide foot. 30 seconds even. speed comes with practice though.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 07:06AM

For applying finish I went to a 5 rpm to a 30 rpm, and might go faster still. For drying, I hand turn. I tried leaving a rod in the 30 rpm turner once, and it came out just fine. I don't use heavy coats, just two light coats, if it matters. I found that one coat finish jobs come out too sloppy for me.

Dave

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: December 13, 2006 07:15AM

Myslef I use the 200 rpm motor setup from Flex Coat for applying the finish. Works great and I can get the epoxy applied very quickly. It comes with a slip clutch for the chuck which is one of the rubber diaphram type chucks. I think Mud Hole carries just the chuck if you want it. After applying, my dryer is a 4 rpm motor. The faster speed for applying makes getting nice straight edges to the epoxy a breeze and lets me get the epoxy on quickly.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2006 08:51AM

I don't use any sort of application or dryer motor, but if you want to, the 18 RPM is a good all around speed and seems to work well with any of the current finishes.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 10:19AM

Mike S. - you got me to thinkin - Uh Oh!

I too apply finish at speed (200 rpm) simply for the speed and getting the perfect trim edges. I use my rod wrapper and the foot pedal to stop and start. I do Forhan and security wraps which causes me to stop and start to dab the end under the of single guides. I use the foot pedal to stop - the wierd thing is my foot control is hard to control (needs constant repair and adjustment) with my foot and I keep it on the work bench and operate it with my off hand and move it along the rod.

Would the Flexcoat slip clutch chuck in my rod wrapper head to allow me let the wrapper it turn at speed and stop the rod with the clutch - or does it have to be linked to the Flexcoat motor to work?

I hand turn for the ~ first 30 minutes to level and dry at slow speed - dryers from 2 to 16 rpm and can not tell the difference in quality of finish surface.

Thanks

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: December 13, 2006 10:55AM

Bill,

It fits onto a 1/4" motor shaft for how it comes from Flex Coat. I will look at mine later when I get home to see if it would work putting it into a chuck.

Posted by: Dave Orr (70.54.206.---)
Date: December 13, 2006 02:36PM

Thanks for all the info guys :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Matthew Birge (---.jck.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 03:35PM

i use my rodwrapper for applying and drying i think its 18rpms

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster