I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pouring finish on to foil WHY?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 11:23PM

Getting ready to build a power mixer and done a lot of reading here on them, but why are you pouring the finish out on to aluminum foil? Just curious, I use a spatula to apply the finish to the rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pouring finish on to foil WHY?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 12, 2006 11:28PM

It lengthens the pot life a little and spreading it out allows the bubbles to escape pretty much on their own. If you're using a mixer, bubbles shouldn't be a problem.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 02:40AM

Yep! Heat dissipation (pot life) and bubbles

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.61.---)
Date: December 13, 2006 03:33AM

the heat comes from the chemical reaction of the resin and hardener?

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 09:46AM

like Candy makers pouring their Candy onto a cool marble surface takes away heat , the same is true for "foiling" thread epoxy, in this case, heat from the chemical reaction as it is being produced, and some Rod Makers actually do use marble slabs.
If Mixed with a mind set on not inducing (entraining) air bubbles... "foiling" only serves to remove heat. I limit the amount of mixing cup I use as it is always tipped and I scrap flat against the side of the cup, with my mixing stick and never with a circular motion. I make a "Smile" shaped motion, back and forth never lifting the stir stick. I do scrtch the cup where the premixed components were first added an have since been spread to. You will achieve the same affect using an automated mixer as the Steel BB's are never lifted, but also realise that the mixing cup is never fully scraped over the entirity of the surface that the premixed components 1st touched. There is also a dead spot between the round surface of the BB and the sharp angled bottom corner of the mixing cup that is a dead area, but if your mixing 6 cc's total per mix it is well mixed enough; On the other hand, I can mix as little as a half a gram of the combinded components with favorable and predictable results every time, and thus I need to scrap every bit of the mixing cup the premixed components touched and consqquently were spread to, which amounts to touching just under half the surface area of the inside of the cup.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 09:48AM

Heat comes from the reaction of the two parts, and heat speeds the cure. So trying to keep the heat from getting too intense helps lengthen pot life.

Also the thinner the layer of finish is, the easier it is for bubbles to rise and escape.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 04:51PM

By spreading the epoxy onto foil you create a thin layer with a greater surface area which allows heat and bubbles to escape more readily. Foil is just a handy material to accomplish this purpose.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 13, 2006 10:23PM

Foil, over a 12" X 12" square of cheap marble tile from Lowes, etc, gives even more cooling of mixed epoxy.

Stan

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: December 14, 2006 10:26AM

Because it works great. Thats why.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster