I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

min. drying time on decal
Posted by: Alan Royce (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 08:27PM

I have just flat run out of time on this one and am pushing. I have just appied a waterside decal from Decal Connection (love their decals) and am really wanting to apply the next coat of epoxy as soon as I can. The room is warm and the Hummity (for Florida) is not to high tonight. What do you think the min. would be.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: min. drying time on decal
Posted by: John Britt (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2006 08:29PM

Alan I have done them in as little as an hour,generally if they look dry they are
John

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 11, 2006 08:44PM

If you did not use the Micro Sol you can go pretty quick as John noted. If you used the Micro Sol it might be best to wait at least a couple of hours. It softens the film and kinda solubulizes the film. At least try to force dry it with a hair dryer. This is against the normal reccomended procedures but as the old addage goes Do What U Gotta Do!

Date: December 11, 2006 08:51PM

Bill and John thanks, Yes bill I did use the Micro Sol so I will hold off just a bit longer. Hate to rush it is when things go wrong but as I said I just have run out of time. Thanks Again.

Edited post, Everything went well waited about two and half hours. My only problem is one that I had before and that was cuting the edges of the decal. If you get any type of ruff edge it will show through as a small line or dot and of course their is one if you look close enough. But all in all I think it turned out well. I will try and post some pics if I get time. Thanks again for the quick responce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2006 09:55PM by Alan Royce.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 12:13AM

Alan,
I use Micro Sol all the time and believe it or not I've put finish on as little as 30 minutes after using it. I've never had a problem with the finish. Most of the time, you can get rid of (or greatly reduce) that edge but applying another coat or two of the Micro Sol. I wait until it's nearly dry then iron out the edge with a finger nail. It usually solves the problem. Randy.

Posted by: John Britt (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2006 10:14AM

As Bill said it is far better to wait as reccomended,don't want to see a bunch of post regarding waiting time and problems caused by not waiting.
Alan-hard to explain but if you cut your decals on an angle you get a much flatter edge
John

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 12, 2006 11:28AM

If you are using Micro Sol. Be careful after applying. The directions for the material include warnings that the film is softened and do not touch until dry or the decal will be easily damaged. The old directions also said apply only one brush stroke of the Micro Sol.

I have normally used finger pressure to remove air and flatten the edge after the initial Micro Set goes over the top.

Date: December 12, 2006 02:57PM

Thanks everybody,

Yes I would highly recomend that if you can wait for the recomended period. It is much eaizer on the nerves. There was one area I should have recut I even told myself to do it but it would have put it a little close to the lettering so I decided best to just leave it as is. Next time I will try to smooth the edges after applying the Micro sol. I had thought about it but to be honest was a little nervous because I know that it weakens the decal.

Thanks again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster