I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9 wt. saltwater ceramic guides
Posted by: Steven Daley (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2006 05:12PM

Usually I put wire guides on my fly rods, but want to get put ceramics on one of these 9wt blanks i got for a head to head comparison. before I buy guides however, I want to know what your setup would be for such a rod (as far as guide sizes)? This is going to be used for some salmon here in MI and some lighter saltwater fishing.

i was thinking like 16-12-7-7-6-6-6-6-5 tip top

any thoughts?

thanks guys,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9 wt. saltwater ceramic guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 09, 2006 05:16PM

I wouldn't go smaller than a 7 ring guide, I'd also go with a high framed 16.

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2006 05:31PM

thanks, i am kinda out of the loop as far as the i.d. of the ringed guides (looks like i overestimated the i.d.).... and yes, i was thinking the high framed titans for the stripping guides. keep the suggestions coming.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.atlsf)
Date: December 09, 2006 06:19PM

I am building a Dan Craft FT 9' 9wt now with Fuji TiSiC Concept guides.
16, 12, another 12 for a tamer, 10 sf, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, tip-top.
I know that many would skip the 8, but I am old fashioned.
Herb

Date: December 09, 2006 06:22PM

Oooops.
It is 16, 12 tamer, another 12, etc
Herb

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2006 06:49PM

If you are going to use Titan guides by all means use the high frame NIV sizes 20,12,10 or 20,16,12 then sizes 10,8,8,8,7,7 NIF guides then the tip. A 16 stripper guide is too small on a saltwater rod go with the 20 you'll be glad you did.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2006 07:29PM

20-16-10-8-7's

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2006 09:00PM

Get rid of all the in-between sizes - they do nothing for you other than add weight. They do not result in a more gradual line path, but rather create a path that is less straight. See the last 3 issues of RodMaker for the articles and photos.

Use the smallest running guides you can that will still pass any required connections. If that's a #6, I'd go:

16 - 12 and then as many 6's as you need.

If the smallest guide you can use is a #7, then go:

16 - 12 and then as many 7's as need.

I'm just thankful that the guide manufacturers don't make sizes 15, 14, 13, 11, 9 etc., or guys would be trying to shoehorn those in there too. You don't have to use them, just because they make them.

Never use more than 3 guide sizes on any rod. (Some spinning rods might take 4 at the outside).

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 09, 2006 09:18PM

Not that it means anything but I agree with Tom. Don't know much about fly rods but on spinning, casting (especially spirals), I never use mor than 3 sizes with the running guides being fly type ceramics

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2006 09:30PM

Disagree, Tom... the line flow is noticeably smoother with a transition down to the running guides. Also, a #20 stripper on a 9wt, especially if you're going to be using shooting heads or tip systems, will limit initial hangups and promote better shooting.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Date: December 09, 2006 09:57PM

The difference between moving from a #12 directly to say, a 7 instead of a 10 is nil because of the distance between the guides.

Over a span of several inches, moving from say, a #12 directly to a #7 isn’t going to change the angle of the line by more than a degree or two at most compared to moving from that #12 to a #10. And the transition will be just as gradual as moving from that 12 to the 10 would be. The transition is the space between the guides, not the guides themselves. The trick is to keep from having any more line path angle changes than absolutely necessary.

Check the photos of the roller coaster path that occurs when using all the various sizes. Every time you change the size of a guide, you introduce another new angle to the line path. If you move straight down quickly and then stay the same on out, you will only have 1 or perhaps 2, path angle changes. With 4 or 5 different sized guides, you'll have 4 or 5 path angle changes.

The guides should be chosen so that they conform to the line path, not the other way around. And yet most builders insist on pre-selecting guides and then making the line conform to a path that is hardly straight at all.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2006 11:10PM

Scott, your right. I've had the pleasure of guiding one of the worlds most talented casters, Lefty Krey. Lefty and I have talked about this on several days on the water and he will tell you fly rods built with size 20 and larger stripper guides cast much better than those that don't. I use a 20 stripper guide on anything over a 4 weight. If I'm building a 9wt. rod that is going to be used with an Abel Super 9 I'll go with a 25 because the reel is 4.125 inches in diameter. If you want to see a acute angle look at the angle coming off the reel to the first guide when the rod is under a fish fighting mode, if you use a 16 stripper. Then put a 25 on there and see what that looks like. You'll agree the 25 looks better under load.

Date: December 10, 2006 08:08AM

I also have read that Lefty, and others of good repute,, espouse the use of at least a #20 - even a # 25 - on 8 - 10wt saltwater fly rod. That is why I was concerned that Fuji does not make a TiSiC stripper larger than a #16. But after reading some opinions on this site I built a number of 7 - 9 wt saltwater rods with the #16 as stripper. The rods cast beautifully and the line flows through the #16 without hesitation.
From what I have read on the subject, the primary reason that Lefty and the others recommend the use of the largest strippers is so knots and tangles will pass through with ease. In my opinion that is counter intitutive. Shouldn't you want the tangle to stop at a point close to you so you can deal with it. And why would you want the tangle to get as far as a running guide to pop off a section of the rod?

Date: December 10, 2006 10:01AM

Lefty is a great fly fisherman and caster, far better than me. But I am confident that I am a much better rod builder than he is. So are most of you, too.

Lefty isn't a very good rod builder, I'm afraid.

Herb,

You're also a much better rod builder than Lefty is. You could certainly teach him a thing or two about rod design.

Butt guide sizing is another matter from what we've been discussing here. Typically you want to increase the height of the frame until you no longer see any increase in casting ease or distance. Ring size is not terribly important, but you can only go so high with the frame so moving to a larger ring gets you extra height at the same time. If you could buy super high 16s or 12s that would be about all you'd never need. But outside of the match type guides, the SVSG is about the highest standard frame around.

When I was consulting for Thomas & Thomas I made them several prototypes and we all felt that an SVSG 16 was the best all around butt guide size on the larger rods. There was no futher advantage to be had with anything with a larger ring. I did like the HSVSG 16 the best due to the extra height, but they felt that the cost was prohibitive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster