I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning reel seat alternatives
Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: December 06, 2006 10:24AM

I am building a couple of light spinning rods for my use. I really like to be able to move the location of the reel seat. I just finished a rod and used Andy's hard burl cork and graphite slip rings over it. Thought I was all set. I thought with the hard cork it would all lock down tight. But the first time I actually caught a fish I found out. The handle bends under the cork (which I like a lot) and the rod flexes and the reel just comes loose or actually pops off. In the past I have used Al rings with better, but not good, results.

So, is there anyway of making a sliding reel seat that actually holds the reel? Black electrical tape sure looks tacky on that nice burl cork handle. Another reason not to go to the tape is that this is a 3 piece travel rod and I would really like to be able to take the reel off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning reel seat alternatives
Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 10:53AM

Try a Fuji plate reel seat. You tape the reel seat on your handle and then it has a sliding mechanism to hold your reel. I use them on the ice rods I build. I permanently mount mine by inletting the cork a bit and then wrap the plate reel seat onto the cork handle with Trimar thread and epoxy.

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 11:42AM

try sanding a flat spot where your reel foot goes. that should help some.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2006 11:55AM

I'll add this to the mix, in a back issue of RodMaker some time ago I did an article on alternate handle ideas. One idea I mentioned, and included a photo, was of a reel seat with dual moveable hoods. Now you have to use two seats to make one, of course, but it's an idea you might consider. Having two threaded barrels on the same seat allows you to move the reel fore or aft by about an inch or so. A rigid barrel of wood shouldered to hold the barrels, should eliminate the flex under the seat.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: December 06, 2006 12:43PM

Years ago, there were some commercially made sliding reel seats for spinning rods. The whole seat slid up and down the cork handle and locked into position when you tightened everything down. I have a couple around here someplace on old rods. I'll look for them and see what brand they were and exactly how they worked.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2006 02:07PM

You're right - I remember them. They were thin metal and the whole thing fit over the cork and there were two rings on top that clamped not only the reel but the seat itself. I can picture them perfectly. Doubt any have been made in the last 20 to 25 years or so.

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: December 06, 2006 02:15PM

If anyone finds these things please take a picture and post it, Please

Posted by: Fran Park (204.211.36.---)
Date: December 06, 2006 02:56PM

Mudhole carries a line of adjustable spinning seats, that slip over the cork handle. But they are very big. I used one on a cork tape handled surf rod, and it works really well. I don't know, but it might be worth asking them if a smaller version isa available.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 05:12PM

Tom - I just saw those aluminum slide seats in someone's catalog or website. I just can't remember where, but they had some in stock.

Posted by: Carrington Tate (---.wellsfargo.com)
Date: December 06, 2006 06:23PM

the aluminum seats you are referring to can be found at Ricks Rods in Denver CO. The seats are from Phillipson and can be had in silver, brown, and black. I used one for a spin/fly combo and it works great. Got the idea from Steve Kartalia (sp) who posted a photo on either this site or the old photo site. [www.ricksrods.com]

Found the picture----- fishingphotos.net, page 11 of the handle assemblies section, 6th picture. tried to do a link and it didn't work for me.
hope this helps

Carrington Tate
Durango, CO

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2006 06:31PM by Carrington Tate.

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-156.btcentralplus.com)
Date: December 06, 2006 07:16PM

Heres one from REC [www.reelseats.com] but it may be big for light rod. I guess you could make the spacer as long as you wanted depending on your reel foot length

That seat in the above post is really interesting!!!.

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.gamma9.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 07, 2006 02:23AM

Abu was famous for movable reel seats from the 60s' thru 80s'. Take a look at this posting.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: December 07, 2006 02:46PM

Hi Folks. Thanks for all the good answers. The link to Ricks rods showing the Phillipson seat was expecially nice. I actually have a couple of small diameter, thinn metal alum sliding seats I bought from someone on this forum in the buy/sell section. But they are skinny and flimsy and I did not want to use them. I guess I was looking for a "magic" solution. After trying the sliding rings for a while I have decided moving the reel is just not worth it. I am going to rebuild with either a straight Fuji seat or a Fuji seat with a cork insert. Got a couple of UL blanks coming up and I will look at the slip rings again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster