I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie Has a Question
Posted by: Skipp Hughes (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 01:06PM

Hey fellas

I have been reading this board for a few months and have decided to delve into this obsession called Rod Building

My Question is
What media do you guys suggest for a beginer

Books and Videos

I want to build Graphite Fly and Spin rods
Mainly for Steelhead and Salmon in the Great Lakes

Thanks for your help

Skip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie Has a Question
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: December 05, 2006 01:30PM

Tom Kirkman's Rod Building Guide

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 02:43PM

Hi Skip,

The books you should get Tom Kirkman's, The Dale Clemens books (if can be found). Also check the sponsers web site (to the left) because a lot them have tutorals listed on their web sites. Be sure to check out Fly Fishing/fly tying sites. Alot of them have a rod building section in them now with some great info.

For Videos Doc Ski, Randy Parpart 's videos (all can be purchased via this boards sponsers.

But to me the biggest help was RodMaker's magazine, Get a subscription and then purchase all the back issues you can afford. You can't go wrong with that magazine.

Hope this helps

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.tamc.amedd.army.mil)
Date: December 05, 2006 06:35PM

I'm a real book nut and love buying and collecting books... they are helpful to give you a basic overview of rod building, but when it comes to detailed info, do a search on this forum.

I got a basic kit taht came with a VHS tape on building to get me started. It helped with the basics.

The biggest thing is to just start doing it!!! I advise getting Tom's book, getting a basic rod building DVD from the sponsors, and getting an inexpensive complete kit for your first rod.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 06:41PM

{I have been reading this board for a few months and have decided to delve into this obsession called Rod Building } Sounds like you need a blank guides thread and and Start Twisting!!

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 06:42PM

Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman from most vendors on the left. Best $15 you will ever spend on this obsession!! That and read you way through the Articles, FAQ's and Glossary at the top of this site. A subscription to Rodmaker magazine would be in your best interest also

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 04:50AM

Welcome to the craft and Rodbuilding.org. This site is jam packed with great information in each department. The FAQ's and Glossary are worth studying. I found that by reading them over and over brought my up to speed in a suprisingly short time. The Library is great for learning many specific tasks. The New Concept Guide System and the CCS (Common Cents System) are fairly recent advancements in modern rod building. Learn them well. The CCS is invaluable to the rod builder in many applications. It is well worth studying the Common Cents Info Link on the Sponsor's List to the left (just under the 2007 Int'l Rod Building Exposition). Tom Kirkman's " Rod-Building Guide" is the best starter book out there.

The search feature on this site will help you find posts on just about any topic you might wish to find. Be sure to search under ALL DATES. Finally, if you can afford to spend about $28.00 or so per year, get a subscription to RodMaker Magazine. In fact, it is the best resource of detailed information on the craft by far. Back issues and the soon to be available Digital versions of the magazine will prove invaluable both now and for years to come.

The best advice is, as was stated above, to start working. Nothing will develop your skills as well as practice. You'll learn more from your errors than from the successes. Obstacles will spark your searches. Seaching the Forum will lead you to new topics. Before you know it, you'll be sharing things you have learned. Enjoy every step of your path. There is always more to learn and higher goals of excellence. The more you challenge yourself the richer your experience will be. Set high goals and learn who's opinions merit your attention. There are some true Masters of rod building generously sharing their vast knowledge on this Forum. Pore through the Photo Pages and list the names of those who's work you admire most. When you see their names attached to a post you will know that the info they offer is the best.

Last, and not least, is revel in the spirit of wonder. There is nothing inherently impossible to learn about rod building. Persistence in perfecting a technique is what separates great work from the mediocre. Nothing is as effective as adopting an "I can do this" attitude no matter how hard it looks at the start.

Wishing you a rewarding time in rod building,

Dave

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 06, 2006 10:36AM

Dave, Great response!! You really nailed it!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Skipp Hughes (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: December 07, 2006 12:23AM

Wow I guess my first book will be Tom's

My daughter asked me for Xmas Ideas and first on the list is Rodmaker Magazine

Thanks for all the responses

Now all I need to do is find a noodle rod blank that fits my needs
I never knew there were so many choices

Thanks again
Skip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster