I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap technique
Posted by: ALTON BENTLEY (---.bragg.army.mil)
Date: December 05, 2006 12:55PM

when I do a spiral wrap the first guide/butt guide from what I have read you can either start left/right or almost straight. Question: For instance if the butt guide goes left so many degrees and put the next one or two to the right? Or if I go right with the butt guide so many degrees and the next one or two go to the left? Pro's and Cons. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap technique
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2006 01:42PM

Offsetting the butt guide to the side opposite to the side that you carry the line was done to keep the line from stacking to one side of the reel spool when retrieving hard pulling crankbaits. It is more of a problem with certain baits and with certain reels (wide spool models being somewhat more likely to do this).

I'm not sure that there are any real "cons" to doing it, although I'm not sure it's really necessary on more than a few applications.

If you do it, you only want to offset the butt guide far enough so that the oncoming line is on the 0 degree axis.

Re: spiral wrap technique
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 02:33PM

Mike;
I don't offset my stripper guide to the opposite side. Most of my bass rods are spirals. Including my crank bait rods and to date I have not had a problem with line loading up on one side of the reel. May be if I were using a lighter rod it might. But most of my rods do little flexing between the reel and stripper guide. I personally believe the line is going to go were the line guide on the reel dictates and not were the stripper guide might. Might also be a problem on larger reels or reels with out line guides. But not on most types of reels used in bass fishing.
Of curse this has been my personal experience other may be getting different results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster