I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power wrapping machine with excellent control and dual direction
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2006 10:38AM

I have read the posts about using or not using a power wrapper to make a rod.
After using both, i.e. the manual as well as several of the commercial units. I can understand and agree with both sides of the equation.
The folks who use the hand wrappers say that they have better control and can do a better job. Those who use the power wrappers claim that they can wrap faster with as good control.

The issue that I found with many of the power wrappers was the inability to turn the rod VERY slowly. This is required, when both starting a wrap, as well as when doing some of the intricite complex wraps.

Also, most of the power wrappers could not easily be backed up in case of a mistake. I know that none of the other wrappers ever make a mistake, but I have made at least one mistake today.

--
The problems with inability to turn slow with power and control and the inability to run in reverse are solved by the use of the DC industrial gear motor that I have used in building the last power wrappers.

I am using a 24 volt 300 rpm industrial gear motor. This is coupled via a belt to a Taig headstock pully, driving a 3 inch Taig lathe chuck.

The motor is controlled by a 0-24 volt variable voltage power supply. The voltage is run through a double pole double pole switch to allow motor reversal.
The power supply is contolled by an industrial foot pedal to give very precise and exact control of the wrapper.

Now, with this unit, it is possible to have a nice 1 rpm speed for starting wraps, all the way up to a 300 rpm speed for the long butt wraps necessary on some rods.
Any questions, drop me an e-mail

hflier@comcast.net

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power wrapping machine with excellent control and dual direction
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 11:05AM

Were did you purchase the motor and parts?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2006 11:06AM

Wraps are started and finished by hand, not under power.

Nearly all the power wrappers are variable speed and your ability to feather the foot control has much to do with how slowly you can turn the rod.

The Renzetti has a reverse tension spring so you can reverse rotation and still maintain tension on the spring.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 04, 2006 09:49PM

I added a rheostat to mine so I could control the speed without having to find that sweet spot with my foot control. I've never been able to wrap anything at top speed, not even the long butt wraps.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2006 09:44AM

I also prefer a slow speed motor for power wrapping. I have a 1750 rpm industrial motor that has a right angle gear box attached. This is connected to a dc motor speed control that allows me to dial variable speeds from dead stop to about 120 rpm smoothly, and with lots of torque. I have fashioned a chuck to fit the 5/8" shaft by clamping on a short section of 3/4" foam pipe insulation. This setup will twist your arm off at any speed. I have added a floor foot switch that starts the motor at whatever rpm's the dial is set to. I have also added a direction reversing switch. I start my wraps using the motor. I do my wraps at about 20 rpm, allowing me to pack and correct as I am wrapping. Great finishing and drying motor too! I dry rods at about 4 rpm and the motor runs cool and steady for hours, sometimes over night. (I also have another one of the same motor that I have built into a finish mixer, and the variable speed allows proper speeds for mixing different viscosity finishes.) These motors - in there former life - were valve operating motors in a local water treatment plant. They were being replaced in an upgrade and were rescued from the scrap pile.

The only drawback to this setup is that it's too slow to use for cork turning!

This setup is perfect for my home made rodbuilding lathe, and I wouldn't know how to do it any other way!

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster