I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium blanks
Posted by: Brad Hetzel (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 07:49PM

Does anyone know of a good Titanium blank. My Father in Law has always loved the way his Falcon Inshore rod performed. I believe it was a Titanium blank.
I saw Lamiglas has a IM700 material, but I believe its only for fly fishing applications. We fish in Murrells Inlet SC mostly targeting Flounder, Red Fish, Spotted Trout.

Thanks For your replys
Brad Hetzel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium blanks
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 07:56PM

I can't help you with the titanium blanks, other than to say it was/is primarily a marketing tactic. I can point you in the right direction for a very nice blank selection for your intended use - the G Loomis HS9000. The blank is 7'6", 6-12# line, 1/4-1/2 oz lure, Mag-Light Power, Extra Fast Action. They are available in a 1 or 2 piece GL3 version and a 1 piece IMX version. Call Bob @ Custom Tackle, he generally keeps them in stock and can fill you in on the wonderful nature of the blank.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 08:04PM

Maybe someone who has the Mudhole Catalog can help both of us. Lamiglas details seven different types of blanks in the catalog one of which is listed as Titanium/IM700. The description describes a high modulus graphite bonded to titanium. Four pages of blanks follow and I do not see the titanium blanks listed anywhere. Is the titanium blank sold or only used in their production rods? The IM 700 series are listed in several places.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 08:21PM

The Mudhole site lists them [shop.mudhole.com] but it looks like there is only 4 blank models

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-216-61.myvzw.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 09:15PM

The Lamiglas blanks advertised as Titanium/IM700...at least the ones I have seen and held are basically a titanium tube on the lower 1/3 or so of the rod that is adhered to a standard high mosulus carbon blank that comprisies the upper 2/3. These rods have been around for a number of years now, in fact I frst saw them back in 1999 when Todd had some at a Rodbuilders Get Together. It's really an interesting concept.
The other types of Titanium blanks are like the ones Reddington had on the market a while back, where basically they have added microscopic Titanium dust to the resin system in hopes of making it stronger. I was chatting with a blank designer last week regarding new technology that is replacing traditional scrim in blanks and we discussed this nano-titanium technology. According to this person, none of this type of technology has actually been proven to have any merit, or be any better or more effecient than what the blank makers are doing now. He described it as "heady theoretical ten to the negative nine type of stuff, that has yet to be proven effective for reinforcement" I have what seen what is referred to as nano material, but have not yet used it in a finished rod, so I won't pretend to know much about it.

It does jack up the price and make for some interesting marketing though.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 09:22PM

The Redington's did not prove any tougher than anything else. The stuff was supposed to make them more resistant to impact on the outside of the blank. Plenty of them broke.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 04, 2006 09:23AM

They quit making the Ti2000 spin/cast blanks. Not sure if they still make the salmon/steelhead versions still.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 06:11PM

The Lamiglass Ti/IM700 4 piece travel fly rod blanks have a titanium tube for the butt section that is .500 on all sizes from 4wt. to the 10wt. I have built several of the 10 wts. and end up wrapping the butt section with black thread to cover the bare titanium metal. The blanks are stiff and are about a half wt to a whole wt heavier than listed, but the titaniun tube has nothing to do with the action of the tip. These are great rods for throwing sinking fly lines. The 10 wt. will throw a Teeny 450 saltwater line like a cannon without shocking the blank or overloading the tip.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2006 02:11AM

I fish a lot for flounder ,red fish ,spotted trout with a spinning rod build by me on ALL STAR AUSTIN BAF908-4(9' W8) fly blank,4 piece.
Super rod,the biggest catch on jig 1/8oz.,FIRELINE 4lb.,black drum over 40lb.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster