I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel Rod Replacement for SAGE RPL
Posted by: Tom Charlton (---.wdc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 12:28PM

Hi Folks: I have a question for the Board.

My father fly fishes the South Island of New Zealand every year. He has been using a two piece Sage RPL 9 foot six weight.

He wants to replace that rod with 4 piece rod that he can fit in his bag. He is looking for 4 piece fast-actioned 6 weight blank. He will buiild the rod. He is an experienced fly fisherman and definltely wants a fast-actioned blank to handle the windy conditions he typically encounters in NZ.

He liked the Sage RPL and would like something similar in action alot but he is not stuck on that brand especially since they cost so much. While he would like light weight and performance, he does not want anything too fragile either.

He's been looking at the St. Croix SC 5 models, the Rainshadow RX8+, and the Rainshadow RX8 Travel Series.

I am an amatuer rod builder. Most of the rods I build are salt water surf and inshore rods. I also don't fly fish (at least not yet). For those reasons, I don't think I am qualified to advise him on this. I have had great luck with Rainshadow rods but I don't think he should consider only that brand.

Any advice on the above blanks or other brands/models would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel Rod Replacement for SAGE RPL
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.atlsf)
Date: December 03, 2006 01:41PM

Tom,
I don't consider the RPL a fast rod. It's more of a pretty-slow-mid-flex rod . You are talking circa early-mid 1990's right? Sage changed the taper with the RPL+, and that was faster. If your father really likes a faster action then my vote would be for Dan Craft's FT 9' 4pc 6wt. I personally think the FT series is the best I have encountered, bar none. I compares favorably with all my factory rods.
If he really want to duplicate the RPL then a slower blank would be the way to go, and they are all over the place.
If traveling is really an issue, and you do want to stay with a mid-flex (but faster) rod then consider the Dan Craft FTL 9' 6pc 6wt. ( I am familiar with the 6wt blank and I have one for sale on Buy/Sell/Trade - but I wouldn't want to get envolved with shipping to NZ.). I like more of a stiffer butt section and faster tip - that the FTL does not have. But if I remember correctly, it is pretty similar to the RPL.
Good luck.
Herb

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 02:02PM

My experience with the Dan Craft blanks is very similar to Herb's. The blanks your father mentions are also very good but not better than the FT or FTL blanks of Craft"s where performance is concerned in my opinion.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Michael Newby (---.joh.za.prserv.net)
Date: December 04, 2006 03:43AM

Hi Tom,

It depends how much your dad wants to spend, and of course, buying a top end rod like Sage means Unlimited Lifetime Warranty. Slam it in the door, step on it, dog bite the tip off...Sage will replace it.

The new Sage Z-Axis rods are fast actioned, but if your dad compares it to his RPL he may be in for a shock...what he thought was pretty fast is actually more medium. I've casted the new Z-Axis and it's magnificent. So are the new Orvis rods, but just as expensive.
a Good option is Maybe the Sage XP 6wt 4-piece. The XP is a fast-action rod, with a fantastic casting motion too. And with the new Z-Axis out, a lot of shops are having closeout sales on these XP brand Sage rods, and you can pick them up at a relevant bargain.

a Mate of mine has built up a Rainshadow RX7, 5wt, 4 piece rod. For the price, it's action is unbelievable! IMHO, this is the rod to go for. At that price your dad can build up two, because he doesn't want to be stuck in New Zealand with a broken rod, and no back-up rod. Or, Batson can supply spare tips sections, which is also a good thing...to carry around a spare tip (in addition to a spare rod of course, in case of a butt-break, reel seat failure, etc).

The only thing I would suggest in addition, is do not get a rod with a "spigot"-type ferrule system. Always go for male-female type direct interlocking rod pieces. I've had a Scott that uses ferrules to join the blank pieces and broke it 4 times fighting fish. With the others I've had no problems.

Regards
Mike

Date: December 04, 2006 09:19AM

Thanks very much for the information. My father has had the RPL for a long time and has probably not tried many other rods. I will give him a heads up on how times (and rod actions) have changed. I am going to recommend that he call Rainshadow and Dan Craft Enterprises. Thanks again, Tom

Date: December 05, 2006 08:34PM

My Father contacted Dan Craft and got a blank from him. Thanks again for everyone's help. Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster