I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy confusion
Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: December 03, 2006 09:36AM

I have noticed a lot of people on this phorum are having a hard time getting the different epoxy types confused. They read a thread and put the suggestion into their working area without having a basic idea of the type of epoxy they are using. Please use the glossary at the top of the page before you start a project , if you are not completely familiar with the different types. Rod building epoxies basically come in two types, one for glueing compents together and one for finishing and coating thread. Do not try to coat with a bonding type or vice versa. Rod Bond is the best bonding epoxy for gluing components that I have ever used. but there is no way it could be used for finshing because of the consistancy. On the same hand if you try to bond up a reel seat with with finishing epoxy you are in for a rude awakening. Welcome to the addiction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy confusion
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 10:47AM

Sam - have you noticed the large number of new names appearing on the site in the past few weeks. I suppose it is a result of some of Tom's extensive marketing for the Show in High Point. Rodbuilding is really getting a boost from somewhere. Your advice on properly using the available resources on this site is right on target. In most cases, if someone is having trouble with a particular task, a wealth of good infomration can be found in the glossary, library and a search of key words with all dates set in the search window. It will be worth someone's time to verify the answers to a post that appears on a thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2006 12:56PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 11:44AM

As with any industry, rod building has a unique volcabulary specific to it. Like the movie "DUNE" came with its own volcabulary, the same is true for rod building and is often the best 1st place to begin this hobby as it will cover all aspect necessary to produce a rod, moreover allow you to discuss it intelligently (not that my posts are so crystal clear) This puts everyone on the same page, to start a conversation that then can advance in depth. Many definations might need further elaboration as they apply to varing aspects and situations, then understanding specifc terminology becomes fundimental.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: December 03, 2006 12:19PM

Ditto all the above!
Personally I'm very happy to see all the new names on the Forum. (more friends to meet!)
However, it does get a bit frustrating to see the many repeated posts on the same subject
and or seeing questions that frankly dont make much sence due to the misuse of terms.

It took me a bit though to click my way around the site here and find ALL it has to offer after
I found it so I do understand.

Welcome to all the new forum members registered or not! I love the traffic and the sponsors
love the business I'm sure!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 01:26PM

I don’t necessarily think that having new builders ask the same questions that were answered along time ago is a bad or redundant thing.

For the simple reasons that things advance, and answers change as we advance in this craft. What may have been the best answer last year or even a few months ago? May be out dated, or even the wrong answer based on improvements in techniques and products.

Sure some questions will all most always be the same but others not. A few years ago Thread Master would not have been in any post. Now there is not a post on epoxies in which it is not brought up.

If a new person just went back and searched the archives form say the first 50 pages instead of asking the question, and proceeded to order and build based on that info. They would have missed out on using an incredible product. The same could be said about some of the new blanks, guides, laser inlays, weave patterns, splinning etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2006 01:27PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: December 03, 2006 02:48PM

Steve,

I agree whole heartedly with your point regarding past questions and answers. Look at the changes in attatudes towards
sewing thread especially about CP and Madiera. However, when the same question is posed today that was posed yesterday
that can be frustrating. Heck, I've seen 2 threads on the exact same subject posted within hours of each other. Not variations
mind you but almost the same question word for word. Nature of the beast I guess with most forums with heavy traffic.

Also, although it frustrates me at times that is MY problem not theirs and if they decide to ask the question in there own thread
instead of posting in an existing one or ask the same question over and over. Well, we can answer or not. Simple.

What may seem simple or trivial to some is obviously not so simple or trivial to others.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 07:16PM

I am happy to share anything I have learned along the way since I was a rank beginner. Perhaps the best lesson l learned is to get a good grounding in the basics first. For me it started with studying Tom Kirkman's excellent book: Rod-Building Guide. Then, studying the Glossary and FAQ's. If the Library had been available then I would have read all the articles at that point. Before I asked any questions I ran a search (under all dates) to see what had been covered thus far on that topic. Then... if I needed further information or clarification I would post the question on the Forum.

I offer this history in the hope it will help anyone who is just starting out. The real benefit is in taking charge of your own education. Learning is vastly enriched if you conduct your own exploration. Think of it as a treasure hunt. When you let your seach lead you into unexpected areas it is like finding gems along the way. Nurturing your curiousity as as valuable as finding any specific information. When we simply ask for an answer and it is provided we lose the many riches we would have uncovered had we set off on out own path of discovery.

Rod Building offers many life enhancing benefits which extend far beyond the boundaries of simply gaining skill in the craft. I am speaking of my own experience. It takes courage to try something new. It builds character to recognize one's limits and then dedicate one's self to overcoming them. The personal friendships I have formed through this Forum and at the Conventions have enhanced my life. The list goes on.

The very heart of Custom Rod Building is the spirit of invention. Conceive an idea. Give it a try. Refine it. Share it. Be free to experiment for yourself. Creativity blossoms when we are free from the fear of criticism or failure. We learn far more from our errors than our successes.

The last lesson I will share is that, while learning the language and the proper techniques is vital, only practice will build your skills. For some this work comes easy and for others it takes longer. Judge yourself against no one but yourself. We are each unique and with practice everyone will improve.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 03, 2006 10:04PM

WHOHOO1!!!

Way to go Chris Karp......Another DUNE lover....."Bless the Maker and his Water......" Or something to that effect.

Rodbuilding is constantly changing.....A few years ago sewing thread was a no-no, but now names such as Madeira and Sulky are common place. Adhesives and finishes are constantly changing as well. My first wrap job, I coated the thread with 30min epoxy because I though epoxy was epoxy.....Needless to say the results were less than stellar. It is a learning curve that is involved here and mistakes happen and even the glossary does not have ALL the answers.

People want instant gratification sometimes, and the answers to all their questions in a single sentence.

As a "Kitchen Sink" rodbuilder I am always experimenting with new things and even doing things that I have been told is wrong, just to find out WHY it is wrong to do it that way.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: December 03, 2006 10:37PM

I have noticed the new people posting and I coudn't be happier to see them. We need all the new ones if we are to advance this craft. I was lucky when I started many years ago, I was taught by an expert and was taken under his wing. However when using this phorum for answers make sure you have the basics first. Derek, as you found out using rod epoxy insted of finishing epoxy. I have always been one to experiment, as a matter of fact I was using Madeira thread 5 or 6 years ago. Do not be afraid to try something new, go ahead and see if it works then if you don't like it tear it apart and redo it the way you want. That's what custom building is all about.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 10:53PM

I am also glad to see new builders post and I'm a firm believer in experimenting but what troubles me is I seem to see a trend, although small, to the instant gratification school and people that don't seem to want learn the basics or to do any research and in some cases actually say they are not interested in a book. They want to build a "custom" rod to sell but find it easier to ask questions like how long of a grip, what kind of guides and where do I put them and what color thread should I use and how much can I charge!
I love sharing and helping new or old builders as a payback for all of the help that I have received here but I really think that a person should at least take the time to explore the site and learn from the library, FAQ's, Glossary and make a little effort on their own.

I don't mean to sound harsh - Long day!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2006 09:51AM

The reason I installed the Glossary and FAQs on this site was to hopefully cut down on the number of redundant questions that get asked by newcomers. I suspect it does keep that number lower than it would be otherwise. But the fact is, the whole point of forums such as this for most people is to rush in and get a quick answer to something they're having trouble with. The nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Above someone asked about refinishing rods and specifically asked that no one suggest a book - he wanted a forum. He has chosen to take a chance on questionable information from a public forum rather than something that has been checked (hopefully) for accuracy and quality. He's probably in a hurry.

Again, it's just the nature of the forums. Nothing wrong with it, but something we have to accept. Questions are going to get asked over and over and the mistakes which the "old timers" find so amusing are going to be repeated over and over by newcomers.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: December 04, 2006 11:30AM

That's what the Internet is about. Instant gratification, good OR bad. I had a problem with my Power Stroke, found out about an owners forum and asked for help. Got it right away, fixed the problem and have been an avid forum user since. Had I just searched through the site to find what I needed, a daunting task in itself, I more than likely would not have continued the forum use and missed out on the great info, assistance and humor that I've found there. Same with this forum....twice a day. What's really amazing is that MOST of the help requests are answered with the correct information owed entirely, I believe, to the quality and ability of the contributing posters, and a nod to Tom and Rodmaker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster