I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Noodle Rods
Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 08:38AM

Never built one, never saw one, but want to go steelhead fishing in great lakes tribs. I have bought a couple of blanks, an all star 10 ft., and a St Croix 10 ft and am confused as to what style guides, reel seat spacing, etc to use. Any help on this would be appreciated. I have looked and looked for information and have come up with nothing useful. The books by trhis Nagy fellow talk about Noodle rods and who builds them but not about what they are. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Noodle Rods
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.milwpc.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 10:01AM

Go to St Croix's web site, they list all the spacings for the rods they have, you'll find the noodle rod there, you can also contact them and ask for a copy of all the rod guide spacings and they will send them to you.. I think I went to customer service with that one.

Hope this helps,, otherwise email me privately and I will give you the layout.

mrparrramoure@yahoo.com

<*)))><

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 11:59AM

a static test of the rod determines guide spacing, a noolde rod si a light action whippy crature, long and lean, made from a basically a light action fly blank , 4 or 5 wt, that bends throughout its length, Spinning guides are applied, on the order of one guide per foot of rod , not including the tip, this is a good starting point for the static test, go to the FAQ's bubble and click on it for how-to info such as static tests and concept guiding. Most noodles are 9- 10' or better and rated 4-8# test (for 9 footer, less for longer) lots of guys use heaiver wt fly blanks for better backbone , mich tribs can produce big fish, aslo look at using a michigan style grip, look at my photo gallery under my name "C" in the members gallery. lots of steelhead rods there. You can also just use a fly rod and reel and chuck and duck fish. want more info contact me

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 12:37PM

Also if your new at this think about using floats, I started with a noodle. And built 2 dedicated float rods Boy I catch a lot more fish and more hook-ups, Built one for spin. and one for pin which I am still mastering? doing OK with the pin but still learning to use the finger as a drag, But it's a blast!!

Date: December 02, 2006 12:46PM

[steelheadsite.com] [www.floatfishing.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2006 01:56PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 02, 2006 11:35PM

I agree with the float rod, much easier on the fish if they are natives that you have to put back.

Date: December 03, 2006 03:12PM

Yep, you have more back bone if you were to fish Any of the popular streams you will have some @#$%& OFF people, And a spent fish. When everyone was using theses rods it wasn't bad. But now get your Fish landed Better for the fish and you will have happy Fishermen around you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster