I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: spiral wrap vs. conventional
Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 08:10PM

Seems to me that this thread has gotten to the point of trying to separate the fly from the pepper. If fishing had ever been that much of a "struggle" for me as opposed to enjoyment, I would have found a new form of enjoyment long ago.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my spiral works well for me. Does that mean that I will only use that rod to fish with? Sure doesn't. Not in this lifetime. There are times and or places that I prefer my conventional. Would I expect everyone to drive an SUV because I do? No I am not that close minded.

*edited for language

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2006 09:30PM by Moderator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 08:28PM

You got it, Royce!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 09:28PM

Bill has a good point and you see it all the time. Fishermen struggle trying to reel in fish on conventional gear and you see the rod twist and rock with every crank on the handle.

Bass fishermen lift bass into their boats which would be hard on any rod but it really hard on conventional wrapped rods when that much load causes the rod tip to twist around.

C. Royce,

Compared, one way IS a struggle. I remember my dad saying that there was no need to buy radial tires. The old bias ply had been awful good for a lot of years. What did radials possibly do that bias ply tires did not? But he spent the last few years of his life driving on radials and commenting how smooth they were and how they didn't seem to flat spot like the "old fashioned" tires did.

It's all about improvement and trying to build a better fishing tool. At least that's what I try to do for my customers.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 03, 2006 10:04PM

I don't think Royce was commenting on the benefits of the spiral (he said he likes them). I think his comment were directed towards what seems to be a endless debate just presenting the same arguments over and over. Sort of like debating politics/religion!!! IMO somewhat dubious opinion "real world fishing situations" pretty much proved to me a long time ago that the simple spiral is the most effective configuration regardless of what textbook/laboratory wisdom says. As someone once said "the proof is in the pudding"

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: December 03, 2006 10:18PM

Gentlemen,

After all the debates, I also feel very inconclusive over the real world issues of angling. Fresh water fishing in particular, why do we always prefer to use lighter gears to fight a heavier fish. Most of my friends say that they prefer not to overpower a fish as they want to feel more torque and moments. Personally, I use line weights 1-4lbs and 2-6 lbs very often just to land a 2 to 3 kg peacock bass. What do you think of this school of thoughts?

Anthony Lee

Date: December 03, 2006 10:48PM

Boy! There must have been more of that stuff in the pepper shaker that I thought. I never said that spiral wrapped rods were not good. By the same token, I'm not going to throw away all my other rods. I mentioned that there were situations where I preferred the conventional set ups. I truly believe that it is within my rights to feel that way.

#1 I suppose that the defination of "struggle" is in the eyes of the beholder.

#2 Surprise!---bias ply tires are still manufactured and marketed today.

#3 If we are to believe TV commercials, we cannot open a can with a convientional can opener without the can, opener,
and all else falling to the floor.

#4 I guess I am a neanderthal, because I can open a can with an old GI issue P-38.

Date: December 04, 2006 12:16AM

Tom-------Sorry for my boo boo on the language thing. It won't happen again.

Royce

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 10:28AM

I think this was one of the best threads to follow in a long time...a lot of useful information exchanged here!!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster