I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ThreadMaster LITE
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-216-61.myvzw.com)
Date: December 01, 2006 01:51PM

Hey guys,
Many of you have asked for it, and I thought I'd let you know that next week I'll be receiving a sample of the new ThreadMaster Lite. In addition to having a thinner viscosity, it also has a longer potlife. I am going to run some sample wraps, and if all looks good we'll then look at having the PotLife on the high build increased just slightly as long as it doesn't torque around with the other properties.

Personally I hate long potlife..but many of you like it, and that's what matters.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ThreadMaster LITE
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 02:11PM

Andy.....DONT CHANGE the regular Threadmaster !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want the lite version, as you know I asked about it when Threamaster 1st came out. I like a thinner finish for the 1st coat and "regular build" for the 2nd.

Telling on myself: I've been using Aftcote as my 1st coat and Threadmaster as my 2nd......so....when the TM lite hits, send me some.

GLAD to see you making a thinner version!

DR

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: December 01, 2006 02:11PM

Hmmm, 1 coat of lite to penetrate (not that the regular stuff doesn't penetrate 100%), 1 coat of regular over that - can't beat that.

Date: December 01, 2006 02:12PM

DR - interesting you are using Aftcote & TM like that. I'm not allowed to say what I do, lol.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 02:15PM

Been doing it a while Billy......works REAL well. I like the 1st coat to penetrate and be THIN, then I use the TM as my topcoat.

Not allowed? you? HA!

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2006 02:16PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Date: December 01, 2006 02:26PM

Aftcote's not a bad finish...it just takes ffffffooooooorrrrrreeeeevvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to setup and cure to a hard finish.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: December 01, 2006 02:43PM

Andy - I figured out how to fix that long curing problem, and to use the rest of the 4oz kit of Aftcote that I have (and is turning Amber), lol. I'll also add that I recently looked at a rod I built for someone last Decmeber which has seen a ton of use in below freezing temps last Jan thru March...a Calstar 800L. Almost every other 800L i've built has had guide cracking, which I always blamed on guide foot prep & thread tension, etc. To my surprise, there is only 1 hint of the epoxy cracking, and it's not at the end of the guide foot, it's in the middle of the legs in the underwrap. It's good to see that teh finish does hodl up the way it's said to.

Admittedly I was concerned with cracking when I poured it out on wax paper and tried to flex it, as it would crack/split once I flexed it too much & the finish was VERY hard to flex. Aftcote is MUCh more flexible in that test, it wouldn't crack or split unless I worked it back and forth for a long time. All that mattes is how it holds up under actual fishing use, and I'm glad to say it's done as good of a job as I coudl have hoped.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.insightbb.com)
Date: December 01, 2006 02:45PM

Andy, is it possible to increase pot life by a few minutes without increasing curing time by hours? Just curious because I really like the quick curing time presently and love the fact that I can use just one coat for an excellent finish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2006 02:48PM by Rob Grider.

Date: December 01, 2006 02:59PM

Billy,
I am assuming the rod you're referring that had no cracks was with TM?

Rob.....that's the $50,000 question isnt it!!! I am no chemist so I can't say, but we are workig to that end.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 01, 2006 03:11PM

Andy,
PLEASE don't change ANYTHING with the regular. People (myself included) love it just the way it is. To change to suit a few people reminds me of the "New improved Coke" and we know what happened to that!!!!! Don't mess with success.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 01, 2006 03:34PM

Andy Dear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Billy,
> I am assuming the rod you're
> referring that had no cracks was with TM?
>

Yes, sorry I was not clear.

No Billy 40 concoctions on that rod, lol!!

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 05:33PM

IMO,leave the regular ThreadMaster as is & add a Light/thinner version. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: warren commander (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 06:54PM

Bravo Andy! You gonna bring some to NC?

Date: December 01, 2006 07:45PM

I am hoping to have it ready by that time....but I ain't makin any promises.

Andy

Date: December 01, 2006 07:49PM

Let's put it this way, if the sample I get is "perfect" as is...I'll have it in High point.

Andy

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 08:30PM

You can lower the viscosity and increase potlife by adding a small amount ot Everclear. In the meantime drink the Everclear and use the current product as is for great success! Don't mess with success! TM is the best and I have found that I can still apply very thin coatings of the current TM product. Plan to get another years supply in High Point in Feb. 2007

Ed Smith

Date: December 01, 2006 08:47PM

Ed...aren't you a chemist? You must have one of those "special" chemical degrees.

Andy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster