I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hawaiian Whipping Rod?????????
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (199.62.8.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 05:47PM

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

This student of this fine art has learned alot from the masters that roam these boards. I look to you masters of the art of rodbuilding for much needed information.

I have a friend that live on the Hawaiian Islands that requested me to make a "Whipping" rod for him.

What is a "Whipping" Rod?

What are some good suggestions for blanks for a "Whipping" rod, including "Calstar"?

What is the preferred type of handle on a "Whipping" rod?

What type of specs should I be looking for in a good rod blank for a good "Whipping" rod?

What kind of fishing is a "Whipping" rod used for?

Is there anybody on the islands that builds rods that might be able to help me out with this rod along with some other rods that are used on the islands of Hawaii?

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hawaiian Whipping Rod?????????
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2006 06:52PM

I can't claim to be extemely familar with "whipping" rods but I believe this is a type of rod sold mainly in the orient and which is very similar to what we on the east coast of the U.S. would call a plugging rod, or even something lighter, such as a popping rod. They're used for casting light plugs for smaller fish (relatively speaking) along jetties, breakers, coves, bays, etc. Most range in length from about 6'6" to 9' in length, with the 7' and 7'6" probably being the most popular.

If anyone else has information on whipping rods, please help Tony out.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 07:56PM

Tony,
I grew up on Maui ( 20 yrs) fishing for Ulua at night and Whipping during the days. I built a friend of mine a Rainshadow SU1145F-M. He wanted something he could Whip while walking on the beach. They use plugs, Mirrow lures, Cast Masters and even Cut bait sometimes ( Tako = octopus ). It is a great way to fish and can be very productive. Some of my fondest memories are fishing with my father this way as a kid catching Papio of the rocks. I would also not hesitate to use any of the Salmon/Steelhead blanks ( ISA1026F, ISA1027F = 8'6", ISA1086F, ISA1087F = 9' ) for any of the Whipping techniques. Most of the rods are made with EVA grips in the spinning configuration, alot of guys there will not use cork because the cockroaches eat it, and if you ever been to hawaii you know what I mean. We also sell the Bigger Whipping rods for Ulua's but I do not think that is what you are talking about( SU series ) we also sell the Slide Bait Rods ( SU1569F, SU1508F, SU1509F ) with the matching Ulua Bells..
My $0.02... Fishing Hawaiian Style... That is where this all started " Phantom Custom Rods " My fathers first shop in the 80's.

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast Product lines
www.batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 08:19PM

Bill - sounds like you enjoyed answering that one! If that is what experience Bob used to build your popping rods I sure am glad. I thought all this time that Mirror Lures were built for us swamp rats exclusively. The "whipping" action is what any person buying a popping rod does the first time they pick it up! Maybe whipping is a better name to start with.

Gon fishn

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 11:32PM

There are many types of "whipping rods" in Hawaii. Many times "whipping rods" refer to rods 5 1/2-7 1/2 feet rated up to 10lb test line. Lure weights would be 1/4-3/4 oz. These rods are usually used to catch reef fishes and others such as akule(big eyed scad), opelu(mackeral), and papio(jack crevalle spp.) from shore. When fishing cliff areas longer salmon steelhead rods are used as Bill said, preferably fast tapered, 9'-14', 10-25lb line, and 1/2-1 1/2oz. I sure am glad that Bill Batson has Hawaiian roots, thus the screen name Paniolo(cowboy). I use a couple of the Rainshadow Hot Shot blanks for cliff whipping at night for Menpachi(squirrlfish) and Aholehole(flagtail?). Will build a 12'-13' rod for Papio/Ulua( Jacks) plugging next. Aloha and Mahalo.

Posted by: Tony Ruffino (66.53.220.---)
Date: December 01, 2006 12:13AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the help and advice.................................

Mr. Batson thank you especially from you. I especially like your line of blanks and am glad that you can conviene and suggest some blanks of your line that would work for this application. I have been to Hawaii. I've been to Honululu. That's where my friend is from. He heard from another fellow co-worker that I began to wrap rods and called my up to ask me if I could wrap him a "Whipping" rod. So I'm thankful for the help.

Tony

Posted by: Jay Stewart (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 02:28AM

Tony,

You've been given advice from the best. Of course a lot has happened since the days Phantom Enterprises was turning out 20 to 50 rods per week! But before you go and select a blank, may I add that you should ask your friend what species, what size lures and what kind of water he'll be fishing. The term "whipping" encompasses a whole range in variety of light tackle beach fishing. There's a big difference in a 4 pound test whipping rod and a 15 pound test whipping rod. Then you can come back to the boards and ask, "what kind of blank would you recommend for fishing akule in the fall at the Kailua seawall? Or, my friend lives near South Point and wants a whipping rod for 5 to 10 papio..." But, then of course, maybe he doesn't know????

Jay

Posted by: Tony Ruffino (199.62.8.---)
Date: December 01, 2006 06:28PM

Hey Guys,

I just got off the phone with my friend and what he's asking for is the following, you advice is respected:

9 foot spinning
4-6lb test line
small to medium plugs

Any blank suggestions would be appreciated. If you have any "Batson" blanks that you would recommend would really be greatly appreciated, since I like the "Batson" line of blanks for the quality and pricing benefits.

Tony

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 07:38PM

Tony,

That's a light whipping rod, 4-6 lb test.. We have a few blanks to choose from in that line class:

Rainshadow IST1081F = RX7 graphite , 9' ,2pc ,4-8 lb test, 3/16 - 3/8 oz lures = MSRP $66.42
Forecast SH1081-2 = RX6 Graphite, 9' , 2pc, 4-8 lb test, 3/16 - 1/8 oz lures = MSRP $28.18

I personally would recomend him going up one power to the following:

Rainshadow IST1082F = RX7 Graphite, 9', 2pc, 6-10 lb test, 1/4- 1/2 oz lures = MSRP $68.96
Forecast SH1082-2 = RX6 Graphite, 9', 2pc, 6-10 lb test, 1/4-1/2 oz lure wt = MSRP $33.08.

I am curious as to the species he is targeting?

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast Product lines
www.batsonenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Date: December 02, 2006 02:02AM

Maybe the halalu/akule in the channel at Ala Moana. Too far out for the normal whipping rods. Sounds too ultralite for papio unless he's a super sportsman.

Posted by: Daniel Hall (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2006 02:54AM

Whipping is the local word in Hawaii for fishing with a spinning rod. Most whipping rods are very light, but much longer than what we were used to on the mainland. Here, a 9 or 10 foot whipping rod (not overly long by any means) is often used with 4-6 lb test, usually for small kaku (barracuda) or papio. Back on the mainland, a spinning rod of 4-6 lb. test was usually only 6 feet or so. I rarely see a local using a whipping rod of less than 8 feet.

Local whipping rods are usually very flexible in the tip allowing for long casts with light lures, but they do have a little backbone in the butt section.

The most popular lure by far is a small casting bubble with a 1 or 2 inch curly tail grub about 3-5 feet behind the bubble. The largest plugs I've seen these guys cast are still fairly small topwater "kaku" lures.

Once you get into heavy rods for ulau (generally slide baiting, although some still do spin cast for them), most don't refer to it as whipping anymore.

I've never built one, but always wondered if a fly rod blank would make a good whipping rod.

FYI, dunking is the Hawaiian term for soaking a bait. "Papule", or crazy, is the term for guys like me that cast a fly rod out here. Lucky-lucky is the term for blindcasting.

Date: December 02, 2006 02:07PM

Yes. Fly rods blanks in the 10-14wt range can be made into whipping rods but most users prefer a faster taper than fly rods offer. You want to turn the fish before they head into the reef. I have seen "pupule" persons use mooching rods on the cliffs for smaller game. It's a struggle bringing them up with those rods.

Posted by: Tony Ruffino (66.53.223.---)
Date: December 05, 2006 12:12AM

Hey Guys,

The suggestion of the heavier rod is exactly what the doctor ordered. I just got off of the phone with my friend and he told me that he's not really going to be fishing for papeo. He told me which fish and I think it was mentioned on this board. Not sure what was the name of the fish. The only problem I have now is to find out how much shipping is going to be for an oversized packaged it being 9+feet.

Thanks,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster