I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Preshaped Grip- Looks like Leaning Tower of Pizza
Posted by: Lou Perez (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 11:28PM

I bought a PacBay bamboo burl reverse half wells grip that I want to turn down and fine tune to match an all cork seat w/ slide rings. Well, when I opened the box today I noticed that the grip is distorted/warped and leans to one side when I stand it up on it's butt end. I put it into my piece of allrod to turn on my drill and it straightened out nicely . When I removed it, it looks warped again.

I am thinking that the hole is centered, but that it must have been stored in an odd position causing it to warp to one side. Logic tells me that when I slide it onto the blank and it gets epoxied in place that all will be well. The tendency of the cork to want to spring out of shape should not be stronger than the epoxy bond and the blank should hold it straight in its place.

First time I've bought a preshaped grip that had a perfectly centered hole, but looked like the leaning tower of Pizza.

What say you all? Should I be worried that over time the grip might separate or break free from the blank?? If it makes any difference, this is going on a fenwick fenglass 605 and it does bend into the cork on a good fish.

Thanks,

Lou

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preshaped Grip- Looks like Leaning Tower of Pizza
Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 11:47PM

i too had a bent pac bay bamboo burl cork grip. i was worried but went ahead and glued it onto a fly blank anyway. it's been fine.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Danny Ross (68.45.65.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 12:19AM

dup post

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2006 12:21AM by Danny Ross.

Posted by: Danny Ross (68.45.65.---)
Date: November 30, 2006 12:20AM

me too...(quality control????) all is good after they've been installed..

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Scott Ryan (---.kaf.afgn.army.mil)
Date: November 30, 2006 05:00AM

I have one of these too. I bought one that has burled rose wood on the ends. I haven't installed it yet but from what I am gathering I should be ok?

Regards

Scott

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 09:08AM

I have had 2 this way. From all of these posts, I gather that this is the way that they come.
I installed the grips, and all is fine.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2006 09:50AM

Should be fine once you mount it. Your only problem would be when or if you have to ream it to fit. If you use a close fitting reamer all should be well, but if you try to use a reamer or file that is much smaller in OD than the ID of the grip, the warp could cause you to ream too much on one side. Just be careful on that regard,

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.nyc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 09:53AM

Cool, thanks guys. Tom, I hadn't thought about possible problems during the reaming, so thanks for adding that bit of info.

Lou

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 04:47PM

it's not the way they all come, but appears to be a common problem. at the time, i ordered two, one was fine, the other bent. they were both fly reverse half wells. i used the bent one on a buddy's rod and after a year fishing, no discernible problems.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 09:21AM

I too have had a couple look like they were bent to one side,so that one side looked a bit flatter than the other.Fortunately I noticed the difference in shape before gluing it up and was able to aligne the grip so it looked even on each side when viewed from the top.I had the slightly flatter side facing up fitting against my palm and the more curved side down as it was a tad more comfy than the other way around.The difference in shape was not as noticable when done this way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster