I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help on attaching guides for quide placement
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 06:25PM

im building a 6-12lb class rod and im having trouble putting the guides on to find the right placement...

i tried taping them and i can get the lower guides taped on but the guides toward the tip top ive spent hours trying to tape them on and its so skinny up there that i cant do it (doesnt help that i have big fingers)

can someone recommend something to try so that i can easily attach them and easily move them up and down the rod?

thank in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help on attaching guides for quide placement
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 06:32PM

Jon I am now using 1/4 blue tape that I buy at auto paint stores. It runs about $7.00 a roll. I like it because it does not leave any "sticky" on the blank when I remove it.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 06:34PM

have you tried surgical tubing sliced into little "rubber bands"? [shop.mudhole.com]

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 06:38PM

Hi Jon;
If you have a short piece of surgical tubing you can cut that up in little slices to make tiny rubber bands. Slide them on the blank per however many guides you have and a couple extra for breakage, works great. Or use twist ties, I use them a lot, you can tighten or loosen them as you need to. Little pieces of telephone wire works good too as a twist tie.
Good luck
JBH

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 06:43PM

Dental bands, like used on braces.

However, if you will keep trying with the masking tape you will succeed. It is like anything else, practice makes perfect.

If you want to try some dental bands, send me your mailing address. I have plenty and only use them occasionally on very light fly rods, so I can spare a few.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 08:05PM

For me, The simplest way is to get tubing of various ID,s (go to any Hobby shop that deals with model airplanes. You can buy tubing in numerous sizes by the foot (used for fuel lines, etc) A cutting board and razor blade will give you a lifetime supply of really thin "rubber bands" in no time at all in various sizes.

Just slide however many you need unto the blank (with a few extra) roll them down to where each guide goes and slip the guide foot under the band and you're all set. When you wrap goes a ways up the foot, just touch the band with a razor and it will fly off. Quick, easy and makes adjusting position real easy.

Some also use the tiny rubber bands that are used for dental braces.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: November 29, 2006 08:24PM

Jon,

I use skirt collars that are used for securing bass jig skirts similar to the dental bands. I bought a bag of thin rubber bands and cut them in about 1.5" lengths. Then take a piece of mono or braid and stik both ends through the collar on the same side to form a loop. Then insert the piece of rubber band through the loop of mono, and pull the rubber band through leaving a loop on one end and the tags sticking out the other. Then just slide them up on the blank where you want your guides, and pull the tag ends of the rubber band to cinch the collar up tight on the blank. Then it is just a matter of sliding the guide foot up under the rubber band. When you have wrapped up the foot enough to secure the guide, just take a very small pair of nippers or razor and cut the rubber band off. I think if you search through the equipment photo section, there is a pic of what I'm talking about. Works pretty good for me, especially on those little fly guides.

TJ

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 08:30PM

The surgical tubing works well for me. I ordered it from www.reefscuba.com and got various I.D.s of the amber tubing, enough to last 'til nursing home time. Galen Briese was the gentleman who put me onto this source of tubing. Thanks, Galen.

Also, ReefScuba's pricing is good, as is customer service and prompt shipping. I've tried other methods but the surgical tubing, in proper sizes, seems to work quite well, IMO.

Stan

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 08:38PM

I use the same stuff as Steve Libby above.....and if the blank is THIN, I take the cut ring and double it over, this makes two strands on the blank to put the foot under and it makes it really tight and that is NICE for the smaller guides/areas of the blank.

DR

Posted by: Brian Clark (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 08:44PM

I find that elastic thread works best for me. Wrap two turns, draw tight, and tie a knot. Once your wrapping thread climbs up on the guide foot, snip the knot. It is inexpensive and available at anyplace that sells sewing supplies.

Brian

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 09:24PM

If you live anywhere near a farm coop (or similar) you can pick up a package of castration bands for about $3. Dental bands work well too, but you need to get the stronger ones or use several together. But, as stated earler, masking tape will work fine with a little practice.

Clyde Thomas

Posted by: Darin Travis (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 09:26PM

I also use the surgical tubing and had the same problem on light rods near the tip. But since I also bow shoot, I have found that the tubing to hold the peep site in alignment works great for this and is available at most sporting good stores in two sizes, 1/16 in id and 1/8 in id. It usually comes in 3 foot lengths, so one piece will last a very long time.

Darin Travis

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 07:14AM

wow you guys really come with it quick! :D thanks im going to try all these out and see which one works best for me

thank you all very much

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 12:08PM

I use masking tape as well, and this method will work for double foot guides, on the skinny part of the blank. Use 1/4 inch tape, the long way, not the short way. (Down the top axis of the blank, not wrapped around the circumference) The first guide on a fly rod is usually about 4-5" from the tip, and the diameter there is approaching 1/4, maybe less. A one inch strip of tape is applied to the guide, aligned, and the tape just push-folded around the blank, instead of wrapping around the blank.
As aforementioned, a bit of practice will serve you well, if you like the tape idea. When going rotary, a trick is to start the tape first, on the blank, 180 degrees away from the guide, so when the tape gets to the guide, it's well anchored, and able to accept tension to tuck the guide under it, and finish the wrap.
Another turn, and it's not going anywhere, so you can align the guide. This works fine with the single footers. For them, I use 1/8" masking tape.
I cut a piece this thin off the wider rolls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2006 12:09PM by Ken Driedger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster