I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Writing on rod blank
Posted by: Jason Sullivan (---.phillipsplastics.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 02:36PM

In the past I have used sandpaper to scuff the blank to use a gel pen to write on the blank. I'm doing my first blank by Rainshadow and this doesn't seem to work well.

How do you write on a blank for personalization?

Jason Sullivan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Writing on rod blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2006 02:45PM

Sandpaper might be a bit rough,unless you use a very fine grade. I'd try some fine Scotchbrite and sort of "scour" the area where you wish to write. This should tend to do a better job on the entire surface, whereas coarser grits may only be scratching a small portion of the overall surface.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 02:45PM

Hi Jason,
I havn't had very good results writing directly on blanks myself (bad handwriting!) but a good trick
is to write on a strip on Scotch "magic tape" and then apply that to the blank.

There is a very good thin tipped artists pen you can get along with bottles of different colored ink
you can get from several sponsors that many guys use with great results.

RodMaker magazine has a great article on making your own lables with your PC and printer!
Volume 9 #3

Decal Connection will make lables for you and they do an OUTSTANDING job!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2006 06:05PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 02:47PM

I use one of those old fashion dip type pens, mixing the lettering paint often as the mettallic solid pigments want to settle out quickly in the silver and golds colors. It seems to slightly scratch the matte fin, when I have to redo an attempt and wipe the masked off area clean with turpintine. There maybe a trick to using a gell pen which others will clime in with, and it might well be to 1st apply a coat of krylon, followed by a sealer coat of krylon or thread epoxy over the lettering

Posted by: Doug Blacklock (---.fpcusa.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 03:01PM

jason, i was writting on a clear avery lable then applying it to the blank, but just last night my lovely wife took, i believe its called a p touch pen and wrote wright on the blank no problems i flex coated right overeit. its a fine point paint pen we found in michaels next to the gel pens it came in metallic gold and silver. hope this will help
GODBLESS doug blacklock

Posted by: Bill Holsonback (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 03:18PM

Try using a toothpick dippid in artist paint. gives a nice fine line, works for me.

Posted by: Jason Sullivan (---.phillipsplastics.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 03:34PM

Raymond_Adams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Jason,
> I havn't had very good results writing directly on
> blanks myself (bad handwriting!) but a good trick
> is to write on a strip on Scotch "magic tape" and
> then apply that to the blank.

Raymond, I love the Scotch tape tip. Thanks!!

I also have sloppy writing but a couple customers have told me it adds to the charm. :)

Sully

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 06:05PM

I prefer to write over a finish coat.

I "scuff" my first coat of finish with a 3M microfiber polishing cloth.

I inscribe with a technical drafting pen, size 000, and opaque white ink.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 06:50PM

Raymond, it can't be that easy... or can it? After applying the scotch magic tape do you coat it with Krylon or anything? Do you know if it'll hold up over a long period? Guess I'll be trying it out on a broken blank this weekend, sounds just too darn easy. Thanks!

Clyde Thomas

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 08:24PM

I'm with Matt.

Lay down a coat of finish and write on top of it once dry enough.

DR

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.177.---)
Date: November 29, 2006 08:35PM

You can write directly on the blank with acrylic paint and a regular quill pen without any preparation to the blank whether the blank has a gloss or mat finish. The paint is inexpensive comes in a wide variety of colors and is available at any hobby shop. If you make a mistake alcohol and just a little rubbing will take it off. Also you can apply epoxy directly over it in a half hour or so.

Posted by: Jerry Chambers (68.156.225.---)
Date: November 29, 2006 08:58PM

I use a gel pen called "Gelly Roll". I write directly on the blank, if it does not go on well I scour the area with scotchbright pad and try again. I let it dry about 1 hour and coat with ThreadMaster or Flex-Coat. The key to not smearing the ink is to not touch it with your brush, just let the finish flow off the brush onto the blank and level out. The pens are made in Sakura Japan and can be found in most craft stores.

Posted by: Charles Horan (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2006 10:52PM

I've tried a few methods, but my most foolproof is using acrylic ink with a metal quill type pen with a fairly fine point. Make sure the ink is shaken or stirred thoroughly so that the solids aren't all at the bottom of the jar. Then just dip the pen and go. After each line of writing, wipe the tip clean, or it may clog up on subsequent dips. Keep a paper towel or rag and some alcohol nearby--mistakes are easily removed with a quick swipe if of the wet rag or paper towel. The only drawback I've ever found with this method is that if you are applying the signature over a decorative wrap which is already epoxied (of course you will add another coat or two of epoxy after the signature is thoroughly dried) you can scratch the epoxy if you make TOO many mistakes and wipe them off. No big deal, though, as the subsequent coat will fill in any scratches quite nicely anyway. Just let the ink dry thoroughly before putting on more flexcoat or whatever finish you are using. I can attest that this acrylic type ink will not run when used under flexcoat, classic rod coat, or permagloss. I haven't used it with any other finishes.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 04:52AM

I agree with Charles. I tried a number of different ways and found acrylic ink with a thin metal quill pen to be the best...............................for me. Everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another. Try different methods on an old blank and find out which one works best for you. If none work for you, call the Deal Connection. They are very nice people and their decals give your rod a very professional look., however I think a signature by the builder gives the rod a nice personal touch.

In regards to acrylic ink, I had problems with some of the colored inks, but I have got very nice results from the white, gold and silver colors.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 06:40AM

I have been using Testors paint and a fine quill pen for inscribing names on rods, for the past four years......works like a charm !!

MaryLou

Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.1dial.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 10:07AM

I use a Opaque Paint Marker in the extra fine tip It is a liquid you shake up before using. (Available at Michaels) The gold and silver colors are very beautiful for writing on rod blanks. The cost is about $3.29 per liquid pen.

Marvin Engel

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 10:16PM

Hi Clyde,

Yes! it can be that simple! Yes you should spray with fixitif and or CP to seal
the ink and keep the finish from lifting the tape just like any other peel & stick
lable. Also, the magic tape is very thin and tears easily and if you not careful
and touch the sticky side with your fingers you will leave a print that sometimes
shows thru from the top.

It is easier to write on a flat surface though then a round or curved one.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Michael Newby (---.joh.za.prserv.net)
Date: December 01, 2006 06:24AM

Hi

I'm with Bill Holsonback, I found that a toothpick gives a great, fine, thin line. I use acrylic artist's paint...it comes in 100's of colours, and if you make a mistake, just wipe it off with a damp cloth, and start again. If you use a brush, you can find very thin ones at an artist shop, and they are not cheap. The acrylic paint washes off with water. But I still found the toothpick to give a better and neater (and thinner) line. Plus no cleaning! Just chuck the toothpick away.

I must add, I've only finished two rods now, and both I did with the toothpick...but they came out great.

I like the Scotch tape tip though...(it's like..."why didn't I think of that???"). Just write it, stick it, and finish over it. Good tip, Raymond!

Regards
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster