I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank based on preferences
Posted by: Brent Nelson (72.24.181.---)
Date: November 28, 2006 10:59PM

I know this topic has to have been addressed here probably thousands of times, but I need to ask again. I searched the threads and couldn't find the answer,so here goes.

I want to build a nice but economical fly rod for myself this winter. Not cheap, but not outlandish either. I will be able to afford something really, really nice next year, but hope to find something in the moderate price range so nice, I 'll forget about spending a lot :)

Here are my preferences for fishing, in the hopes someone will suggest a line weight, length, and blank (by manufacturer):

I fish almost exclusively nymphs, with floating line, sinking tip, and very rarely, rapid sink.

I like extreme sensitivity, a stiff tip for a fast action, especially for big nymphs fished deep.

I will be fishing mostly for trout, in southwestern and wester Idaho, but would like a rod that could also be used occasionally for crappie and bass (I had an 8'6" 5-6 weight rod that a 2 1/2 pound bass almost broke)

Eventually I would like to use the rod on lakes, from a pontoon/float tube.

I have been told that Temple Fork and Rainshadow, as well as CTS are all good blanks, but I'm not familiar with these. I had a Lamiglas before, and it was ok. I've been told Loomis are great, but not sure if they are really moderately priced. I guess the price range would be $50-80 for the blank.

Since I don't cast all that well, I was wondering if a longer rod, like a 9' or 10' might help.

Suggestions please! Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank based on preferences
Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2006 11:50PM

i was going to jump in with recommendations for batson's RX6 (formerly known as forecast and definitely inexpensive), tiger eyes (nicer than RX6 for me) or a pac bay or batson RX7(7+) etc, but since i don't fish nymphs that much, i'm not sure which would fit your needs for this first fly rod.

but your last line caught my attention. i don't think a dfferent sized rod is the best solution for not casting well. i would recommend casting lessons, either formal or informal from someone who knows what they are doing. in my town, there is a sporting goods store which has a small (but good) fly section, and they also offer periodic free casting lessons. see if you can find something akin to that, or through a local club or TU chapter.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 01:13AM

Dan Craft Ent. (link on the left in the column of site sponsors). Most of his blanks are priced just a bit higher than you've mentioned in your post but not by a great deal. You will be challenged to find a better blank at such a modest price.

Brand loyalty is an interesting and curious thing to me and we all have our brand preferences among the many things we buy and I guess we all get caught up in it. Try not to fall into the trap of thinking that one company's blanks are all expensive or inexpensive or all of excellent quality or of poor quality. Most manufacturers carry multiple lines of blanks and each line will vary by quality and price. You can buy an expensive blank and be disappointed; it's also possible to spend a modest amount and be quite pleased. You just need to do a little homework and shop around - I'm sure you'll find the right thing - but I would start with Dan Craft.

I've been pleased with Tiger Eye too but they are not as fast as Dan Craft and you mentioned that you wanted to fast tip. The CCS Data Site located here is a good resource for finding the right blank.

Sam Stoner

Date: November 29, 2006 08:10AM

Sam

Those blanks look to be about the same price as some of the Loomis blanks. Do you think they are close to equal? Do you think a longer rod still okay for lobbing nymphs, sculpins, etc.?

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: November 29, 2006 09:53AM

I highly recommend the Dan Craft blanks for the purpose you have in mind. I have used an the FT905-4 for the same use over the past two seasons and am presently building on a FT1005-4 for the same purpose. The Rainshadow blanks are also very good blanks. While the Forecast and Tiger Eye blanks are a great value I don't find them on a performance par with the Dan Craft or Rainshadow RX7 models for the use you contemplate. Sam has given excellent advice on choosing blanks in my judgement.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 10:08AM

imo for nymphing the length of the rod is more about line control than casting. I high-stick very close to where I'm wading so that I can control the line for drift. Most of my casting is a roll to get the line up and then chuck & duck if the fly(ies) are heavy and/or a lot of shot and deep water. If light flys and shallow water I may tuck cast. No false casting if I can help it. For these reasons Iike a 9' 6wt mod/fast (on the faster side of mod/fast)action rod on bigger river's and tailwaters. I fished a Dan Craft FTL this weekend that my son built and think it is an outstanding blank for this application. The rod that I normally fish (until I "borrowed" my sons) is a Rainshadow RX7 that I also use to chase river bass here in GA (LM, Spots and Shoalies). I really like the versatility of the RX7 for my personal casting mechanics (I'm a very average caster).

This FTL rod is also going to be used for river bass fishing. imo, a 6 wt is as heavy as you will need unless you know you are going to be fishing under real windy conditions the majority of the time then a 7 wt might be better because of the size of wind resistant bugs or weighted streamers (eg, Clousers) you are probably going to be throwing. I've got a lot of nice river bass on a 4 wt and have never worried about the rod breaking.

As far as sensitivity keeping everything on any blank as light as possible really helps. On my nymphing rods I use a size 10 double foot stripper, 1 size 3 light wire SF and then straight to size 1 SFs for running guides. I use a Whitlock knotless connection for my leader to line connection so passing knots is not an issue. If the rod is going to see double duty like you want I use Alconites (or equivalent): Size 10 double, size 8 SF and size 6s all the way out. I think the ceramics certainly add to the durability and for me seems to help in shooting. I try to false cast as little as possible when casting big bass bugs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2006 10:12AM by Steve Rushing.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.static.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: November 29, 2006 10:49AM

Brent,

In my opinion, the Dan Craft blanks are superior to the Loomis line of blanks of comparable price. I'm not saying that Dan Craft blanks are always better than any Loomis blank, just the ones whose cost is nearly equal. That's my opinion, someone else my offer a dissenting view; I just think that Dan Craft offers an excellent quality blank at attractive prices.

For the type of fishing you've described, I think you would be pleased with a Dan Craft blank.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: November 29, 2006 12:09PM

I can endorse the advice given by both Sam and Steve relating to the Dan Craft blanks. I normally use a 6# line for nymphing purposes but I use it with the 5# FTL blanks. These blanks are fast in action and have reserve power beyond their listed rating. Really a most versatile taper design that allows one to use a 6# nymphing line or a 5# line for fishing dry with the same rod.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 29, 2006 01:52PM

I agree with what's been said as far as good rods for your purpose. But, just be careful what you are asking for since it was sort of confusing. You say you want a stiff tip and that usually translates to slow action, not fast. Basically, the definition of fast action is a soft tip and relatively powerful mid and butt.

Posted by: Wayne Kohan (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: November 30, 2006 12:15AM

I agree with all the above. I bought the Dan Craft FT1007 (10 ft, 7 wt) this year to use for nymphing for steelhead. I love the rod for its intended purpose, that being nymphing for large fish on a fairly large river.

However, a 10 ft rod is longer (obviously) and heavier, and thus more wearing on your arm with a day of fishing. Plus it would never work on the smaller rivers I fish. I have 7 or 8 fly rods now, all different weights, lengths, etc. Obviously I can only fish with one at a time, and if I have to pick only one for a fishery I don't know well, I find myself grabbing my 8 1/2 ft 5 wt Sage VPS. It's a very light weight, softer flex rod that is a joy to fish with. I also really like my three wt, 6 1/2 ft fiberglass rod for small stream work.

If you will be mostly nymphing for trout, a 5 wt should do fine unless you want to throw huge streamers. A 10 ft rod helps in mending line, but is pain to use in the trees. Supposedly a longer rod is better for float tubing, but I haven't found an advantage. If this is going to be your go-to rod I would suggest a 9 ft, 5wt, and at this time I would go with the Dan Craft. I am happy with the blank I got and the service I recieved. I would call Dan and discuss his blanks with him, and tell what you want to do with it, and he will set you on the right course.

Wayne

Date: November 30, 2006 08:30AM

Great feedback--nice to know there are so many other nymphers out there, too! It is grossly apparent that Dan Craft makes a fine blank, and I am in the process of getting ready to order (i.e. convincing wifey of the crucial need for this rod blank). Thanks for all the great comments. I especially appreciate the comments by Steve regarding casting, etc. But everyone's post was extremely helpful.

"One man's fish is another man's poisson"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster