I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralight 'casting' blank
Posted by: jeremy airey (---.bl.uk)
Date: November 28, 2006 07:36AM

Hi Chaps
Been a while since I last posted so bare with me.
I'm looking for a true ultralight blank that I can use with a pistol grip/casting reel setup - for info the reel is a Shimano Scorpion 1000 direct from Japan.
I thought I'd found the perfect rod in Shimanos 5.5 foot u/l mini telespin which after getting a pistol grip and some Amtak holos did the job perfectly for a while.
The only problem with the above rod is that it has a tendancy to break at the slightest knock, they seem a very 'brittle' blank - not too desirable a quality. I've just '86'ed the second one in 12 months.
What I need is a rod with a light tip action so I can CAST 1/16 to 1/8 lures using a multiplier (yes a spinning reel would be easier but not as much fun). Length around 5 to 6 foot would be nice and preferably 1 piece.
Money not too much of a problem although please note I do live in the UK so postage could become a factor - a supplier/retail outlet would help me too
Can you guys help please?
regards and thanks
Jeremy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralight 'casting' blank
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2006 08:46AM

What about one of the SJ700 or SJ720 configurations from Lamiglas, Shikari or Loomis? Sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2006 09:12AM

Those are good recommendations. They have fast actions and light tips so you should be able to do what you want.

For using a casting reel with such light lures, you may do better with a longer rod. The additional leverage you can put on the rod tip will help your casting of such lightweight lures. One of the blanks Marty mentioned, inserted into a standard casting handle like the old Fuji BL or similar, would give you about a 6'6" rod that should be able to cast those lighter lure weights.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: November 28, 2006 09:18AM

The SJ 700 GL3 G Loomis may be what your looking for, the only problem, if you could call it that, is that it has way more backbone than your used to in the ultralight blanks you've used. I built one for a gentleman in Florida that uses it to fish the golf course water traps alongside his house. He's caught everything from small panfish to some nice sized bass with it using a liitle Shimano Bantam 100 EX ultralight casting reel that they made back in the 80's. He says he fishes 1/8 oz beetlespins and Roadrunners with the rod/reel combo mostly.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: November 28, 2006 09:30AM

For myself when casting the smaller crankbaits, I also like the shorter rod if I am casting in close quaters and not much room for a longer rod. Myself I would look at St Croix with the SCIV 4S60LF or the SCIII 3S60LF or 3S50ULF. I also have a rod I am converting to a pistol grip just for these small crankbaits. It was made with a Shikari blank, thin it was a SHII blank and around 6 foot long.

Posted by: jeremy airey (---.bl.uk)
Date: November 30, 2006 05:56AM

Thanks Guys for the suggestions could I just ask a few more questions.
I like the sound of the Lamiglass and Shikari blanks - I checked them out and their websites description seems to be what I want.
If possible is there anybody out there who has first hand experience of them and could give me a heads up on which one has the 'faster/tippier' action. Are they fairly 'robust' blanks?
I'm especially interested in the Shikari blank but have no experience with any Shikari products at all - I do have a couple of lami triflex based rods and am very happy with there quality so presume that runs through there whole range.
I really am looking for a VERY tippy, very fast actioned blank. I really hate the feel of a slow blank for this sort of fishing and need a tip that loads well and quickly to help me get that reel spool turning. A spinning reel would be easier but not as much fun IMO and it's easier to work and more is had using a multiplier - kind of nuts I know but a whole lot of fun.
One of the probs. of living in the UK is we don't get a lot of (if any) choice at the more specialsed end of the rod/blank market. To give you an example most UK anglers think an old flyrod makes a good ultralight blank - UGH!!
Any input on this would help.
thanks again
Jeremy

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 30, 2006 06:23PM

The Loomis SJ700 is the fastest I believe of the blanks listed, it's like a UL mag bass blank. Haven't fished the Loomis SJ 720 so I'm not sure about that one. Light tip, huge amount of backbone for it's rating. Have accidentally caught salmon and steelhead on this blank while trout fishing with spinners. The blank's power was never a problem. The tip requires a faster casting stroke like a mag bass blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster