I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinking of getting into rod building.... Where to start
Posted by: Randy_Oswald (---.dr01.rsmt.mn.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 08:52PM

I've been thinking about, and reading books on making rods.... All the info I've been getting is confusing. Can anyone tell me where I should start, and what is needed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking of getting into rod building.... Where to start
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 09:02PM

Get a copy of Tom Kirkman's "Rod Building Guide" from one of the sponsors on the left. It will remove the confusion and start you off on the right foot. It's easy to read is well illustrated and you will find it a source of information for a long time to come. You might also read the articles in the library here as well as search for answers to specific questions here with the search feature.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 26, 2006 09:10PM

Ditto on the Kirkman book! It will take you Step by Step. Immediately after you get the book, try to find a good 12 step program that deals with addiction/obsession!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 09:37PM

Addiction: Another word for rod building.

Follow the addice as stated above. Visit this board often. Build 2 rods and call me in the morning.

Most of all have FUN..........

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Scott Ryan (---.kaf.afgn.army.mil)
Date: November 26, 2006 09:44PM

Hi Randy

Well you started at the right place. This forum. I would also suggest Tom Kirkhams book, its really good. You can purchase it from sponsors on the left. As for what is needed I only bought a couple spools of thread, a rod cradle w/ tensioner, Dryer motor, Flex Coat brushes, & finish coat, that was like 3 years ago. How many rods have I build since then? 4 to be exact. what I use now is a beat up custom/junk rod cradle, I have about 50 spools of thread, thread packing tools, razor blades, the Renzetti Wonder Weaver for custom thread design, Doc Ski's custom thread art DVD, and a bunch of other stuff to many to name, and this compared to some people on the board is minor.

Instead of buying everything you need you could look for a rod building kit. I think Mud Hole tackle on the left has one. It should have all the stuff you need. All you would need to get is the blank.

Hope this helps

Regards

Scott

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.ny-newyorkc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 09:50PM

Ditto on what Jim and Mike said. You'll be hooked after the first rod!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 10:37PM

You'll need lots of odds and ends most can be made cheaply, check out my gallery for lots of homemade fixtures that aid in rod building without paying for the high dollar store bought equivilent. But you will have to buy enough store bought stuff as it is.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 27, 2006 12:20AM

Definitely get "Rod Building Guide". It'll get you on a great track towards learning to build good rods. Available from most sponsors to the left.

Don't start building without it!

Stan

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 27, 2006 12:41AM

Also, if you can get to High Point in February for the 2007 Rod Building Exposition, you'll have the opportunity to learn a ton of rodbuilding stuff, from experts, including seminars by Jim Upton on How to Build Fishing Rods. Check out the link at top left and view "seminars".

You can't fail to learn things at this particular event. Highly recommended !! It's the best there is available.

Stan

Posted by: shahrokh mirfakhraei (---.biz.visl.arrival.net)
Date: November 27, 2006 03:19AM

I suggest to get Doc Ski's Custom Rod Building and Wrapping , it is very complete with details and he is one of the members here and you can ask him questions , he is a master
I joined a website a few weeks ago as some of my friends told me about it , it has a lot of very good DVDs that you can download and watch them for 7 days and after that you need to optain a new license for it , they have 7 days free trial and after that they charge 9.95 /month , but you can download and watch a lot of them in 7 days , they have dvds like doc ski 's rod building 1 & 2 , doc ski 's advance weaving 1 & 2 ( each of them cost 19.99 if you wanna buy ) , Doc ski give you his personal e-mail and phone # at the end of one of DVDs and i had the honor to use his valuable knowledge through e-mail . and many more DVD's with different subjects , its full of information .Just wanna share it
www.totalvid.com
under browse choose outdoors then fishing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2006 03:30AM by shahrokh mirfakhraei.

Posted by: Peter Maltby (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2006 04:27AM

You might want to check out Steve Petri's Rod Building Basics DVD. Very practical and informative. You can view a trailer of the DVD on our website.

[www.ackfishing.com]

Have FUN!

Pete Maltby
ACK Fishing & Tackle
[www.ackfishing.com]
866-285-0673

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2006 10:55AM

Don't know where you live but the chances of an experienced builder living within 100 miles is very high. Click on the directory on the top of this page and take a look. You will be get ahead of the game by watching some of the tasks being performed. Make a friend for life!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Randy_Oswald (---.gfo.seagate.com)
Date: November 27, 2006 01:22PM

Thanks Bill, I just took you advice. We'll see how it all works out.

Randy

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2006 09:54PM

Continue to fish and look into Biology, Entomology,Chemistry, and Horticulture.

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.153.8.77.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 27, 2006 11:28PM

Hey Randy. . . This website is one of the best places to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions. These guys will bend over backwards to help you out. W A R N I N G rodbuilding can be dangerous to your health! My wife says this hobby has gotten way out of hand. However, I'm a pretty lucky guy; she loves to fish.

Bob Turpen
Dawsonville, GA

Life is to short to fish with UGLY rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster