I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hook keepers
Posted by: Chris Means (---.unknwn.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 25, 2006 04:22PM

I have seen hook keepers for texas rigs. If I remember, it looks like a U shaped piece of wire. Point is you don't have to unhook your soft plastics to use the hook keeper. I have not seen any in catalogs or on internet.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Chris

Let's fish,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hook keepers
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2006 06:13PM

The company that makes that hook keeper has signed over exclusive rights Kisler rods. I have about 30 left. But I am not willing to part with any. Some of the builders here have been making the own. But I'm not sure what they are using to do so. Maybe some stainless steel wire like they use for salt water bait rigging would do the job.

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: November 25, 2006 06:30PM

Chris,

I have not yet made one, but it has been on my list as I have been wanting to make some just like the ones on Kistler rods I make weedless wacky worm hooks using stainless wire that I purchased from a tacklemacking site. I can't recall what kind of stainless it is, but I think it was originally intended as some sort of leader material. The stuff I have is a little small, but I think with the right guage, I think it may work extremely well. One place you might try looking for something similar, is at a welding supply store.

TJ

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2006 06:43PM

Chris,
I just went all through this when a customer (good customer) wanted the exact type of hook keeper nearly identical to the ones Kistler uses. I even know a pro bass guy sponsered by Kistler and he couldn't get any. I looked all over and finally had to fabricate some from a spinner bait. I found the cheapest one I could and used some of the smaller wire on it used as a hook guard. It actually worked out very well. Just bent it to the desired shape and took a grinder to the feet. Randy.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 25, 2006 06:59PM

Small diameter stainless steel wire is usually available at hobby shops that cater to model airplanes.

Date: November 25, 2006 07:00PM

Small diameter stainless steel wire is usually available at hobby shops that cater to model airplanes.

Date: November 25, 2006 07:06PM

Sorry for the double, it was an accident

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 25, 2006 07:08PM

Does anyone have a photo they can share of this particular hook-keeper? Sure would like to see one as I'm not familair with it. Thanks.

Stan

Date: November 25, 2006 07:40PM

Thanks gang. I was thinking I might have to make one.

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: November 25, 2006 08:26PM

Stan,

Check out Kistler's site. I couldn't get any of the pics to enlarger very well, but you may be able to get the picture.

TJ

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2006 09:15PM

these here work nice too. Ive used em'

[phoenixblazerods.com]

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Date: November 25, 2006 10:34PM

Nice
Thanks

Let's fish,
Chris

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 01:51AM

Glad to see someone asked this question. I have to build 2 drop shot rigs for Christmas pres. and these are the type they want on the rods. I was trying to figure out what to use for the material. The spinnerbait sounds good. I like the design onthat sight but tend to like creating with my own hands.

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 26, 2006 12:19PM

Holy crap! It's a bent piece of wire. Why would anyone sign over exclusive rights to it? It can't be copyrighted...can it? Looks like a good opportunity for one of the main players on the left to come up with a similar (but better) one. How about it sponsors??? We need this item! :)

Chuck

Date: November 26, 2006 12:52PM

I saw Pacbay, makes, made a "hook latch" in the 2006 catalog. never saw them sold anywhere, and emailed pacbay twice; no response. Not good in my book, a response would have been nice.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 01:45PM

Shape a paper clip with a pair of pliers and grind down the feet. Powder paint it in any color you can find.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 04:41PM

Anyone that makes spinners or bends wire can make these for you.

I'll make as many as you want for a fee. Probably .020 stainless wire should do the trick, which I have a ton of in my spinner making corner.

Send me an email.

Terry

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 06:07PM

Danny Ross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I saw Pacbay, makes, made a "hook latch" in the
> 2006 catalog. never saw them sold anywhere, and
> emailed pacbay twice; no response. Not good in my
> book, a response would have been nice.
>
> Life is short; enjoy ever minute!

Thanks for the tip Danny! I looked online and that is a slick little unit - even comes in a double foot model. Now to see who has them...

Chuck

Date: November 26, 2006 07:02PM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Danny Ross Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I saw Pacbay, makes, made a "hook latch" in
> the
> > 2006 catalog. never saw them sold anywhere,
> and
> > emailed pacbay twice; no response. Not good
> in my
> > book, a response would have been nice.
> >
> > Life is short; enjoy ever minute!
>
> Thanks for the tip Danny! I looked online and
> that is a slick little unit - even comes in a
> double foot model. Now to see who has them...
>
> Chuck
>
>
>
Chuck I did a post here a few back enquiring about them, and didnt get any real resposes to who carries them, thats when i emailed pacbay, and do date have not recieved a response. Ive never really delt with pacbay directly before, and after that will not in the future. I just ordered some componants, and purposely didnt not get pacbay products, because of the bad, or lack their of, customer service I recieved. Althought I do like their bamboo burl grips. I could see a misshap on an email, but twice? Customer service goes along way with me....

- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 26, 2006 08:02PM

I've never had anything but excellant service/response from PacBay

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster