I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recycling Rod Handles
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.barrettxplore.com)
Date: November 24, 2006 09:46PM

I'm a total newbie to the rod buiding addiction, in fact I am still in the knowledge gathering stage.
Now to my question; I have quite a number of butt sections from broken rods. Most are in excellent to new condition, I would like to know how to remove the cork so that it can be reused.
I did a search on removing cork, but the results I received were destructive due to the fact the cork was not going to be reused.
Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recycling Rod Handles
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2006 09:50PM

You will be hard pressed to remove it intact. Old rod handles don't lend themselves to being reused very easily.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 24, 2006 09:52PM

Welcome to the obsession!!!!! The cork is epoxied on and I doubt that there would be any way to get it off without destroying it. Preformed grips aren't very expensive so it really wouldn't be worth the trouble even if you could do it in my opinion.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Orr (70.54.206.---)
Date: November 24, 2006 09:55PM

I figured as much.
At least the fugi reel seats should still be usable. So it's not a total loss.

Regards
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2006 09:56PM by Dave Orr.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 24, 2006 10:00PM

I wouldn't bet on those either! You might get them off but it will take some work!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 10:15PM

Ok........Here is the opinion of an established "Kitchen Sink" rodbuilder. Use them! Either order a blank that fits over the section of blank that remains and make the attachment with a thread wrap and epoxy, ir of you actually have the entire butt section of the rod just buy an appropriate blank and remake it as a two piece rod. You can also ream out the handle to accept a new blank but this is a MAJOR chore.

It all depends on how much time you have on your hands and how much you consider your time is worth. I constantly purchase rods from garage sales and even rescure them from the dump as I repair them and give them away to a variety of charities so I have done a bit of this.

You can email me direct if you like and send pics of the sections in question. I will give you some advice if I can.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: November 24, 2006 10:26PM

With a little ingenuity and a lot of elbow grease you can re-use the entire
handle as a unit or cut it apart and reuse the parts but like Derek has
said, it all depends on what your time is worth to you and what the end
results your after. It's a LOT of work for very little gain IMHO.

If you start with a new blank and guides it would pound foolish to not
use new cork and a new reel seat and easier and faster to boot!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: November 24, 2006 11:30PM

I don't plan to build a stack of nice new rods using reclaimed handles, but I thought I could use them to build up a few ice fishing rods at minimal expense. I figure practicing on some rods that really don't cost anything (just thread, epoxy & finish) I won't kick myself if they don't look great. After all they are just practice right.
So after I got a couple of responses to this thead I did a little experimenting. Nothing ventured, nothing gained; right?
I thought of using heat to break the expoxies bond.......it worked sort of. I set my oven at 225 degrees and put one of my handles in for 10 to 15 minutes. When I removed it I was able to twist off the fore grip quite easily, the reel seat also came off quite easily. How ever the longer rear grips are more difficult due to the larger surface area that is glued to the blank. I will try leaving the rear grip in longer to see if that works, if not the alternative is to ream it out or slide it over a smaller blank. On one of the real seats I removed the arbor material stayed in the seat......solution; put the reel seat on the work bench (threaded section up) insert a nut driver that just fits into the seat, give it a couple of taps with a hammer to break the epoxy bond free and remove. Works very well.
So it can be done, with the only real time consuming part being the rear grip.

Regards
Dave

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 11:51PM

Yep!
And sounds like your having fun to boot! Learning even more too I'm sure.
You will find some will just about fall apart and others, well, will just @#$%&
you off!
Enjoy! Thats what its all about.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2006 06:49AM

Dave,taking apart a factory rod is a learning experience to (usually)how you dont want to do things.Did the adhesive stay with the blank or the grip and arbor when it was removed?Also when you drove out the arbor was there adhesive on the inside of the seat or did it release??All could be attributed to a poor surface prep(not a water break free surface)not allowing for a good bond.Take note of the surface of the blank and the inside of the reel seat to see if they where prepped properly.If it came apart that easy I doubt it.See the library above to learn wahat a water break free surface is and how to achieve it if you dont already know.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.239.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 25, 2006 09:53AM

Dave, if you are going to use them for ice fishing rods, you may even want to consider using them as is. If the blanks in the handles are not solid, shim your ice blank to fit inside these "pre-built" handle assemblies. By the time you get the grips and reelseats off, you are going to have to use arbors and do a lot of shimming anyways to take up the gaps in the cork and strenthen it.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 04:27PM

Yes, don't try to remove the components from the blank.

Cut off the handle assembly either right at the end of the foregrip or at the end of the reel seat.
Shim the new blank to fit snug inside the old handle assembly.
Rod Bond away and either add an extra ring on the fore grip or just add a new fore grip and it hides the mating transition.

Finish and go auger some holes when the ice is thick enough.

Terry

Date: November 26, 2006 05:41PM

Terry Turner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

Finish and go auger some holes when the ice is
thick enough.

No problem with ice thickness here in the North West Territories.........it's currently a balmy -26 brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Regards
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster