I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

single foot guide as tip top
Posted by: Patrick W. Heintz (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: November 24, 2006 10:17AM

Its been mentioned a few times in recent posts that a single foot guide can be used as a tip top, and I'm wondering how many have tried this, how does it look, and is it a difficult wrap to do? Intuitively, seems like it would be hard to wrap in the thinnest part of the blank with nothing to hold onto on one side of the guide. BUT, this would solve the problem of matching guide sizes to tip tops, not to mention worrying about tip size when ordering parts. I'm about to build a fleet of saltwater fly rods with Titans, and it would be a lot cheaper to just use single foot guides as tip tops rather than the FUJI titanium/SICS, the only titanium tip top available.

I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: single foot guide as tip top
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.115.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 10:31AM

I've done it, and it is no more difficult than putting a trim wrap at the end of a tube tip. I don't much care for the look though, myself.

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.direcpc.com)
Date: November 24, 2006 10:55AM

I have done this quite a bit on ice fishing rods since the tip is so small. It is not so much for looks but more of necessity. The ice rod tips are extremly small and tops are hard to find with a big enough ring size and small enough tube. A larger ring size single foot wire guide works fine in this application,

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.pppoe.mtu-net.ru)
Date: November 24, 2006 11:40AM

Just my 0.02

I'm with Emory. Upsizing the top on lighter rods may affect rod performance. And not the way you like. IMHO

Pavel,
Moscow, RU

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 12:03PM

Yes, you can do it and it isn't that difficult, but it does look a bit odd compared to a standard tip top.

Make sure to use the security wrap if you use a SF guide on the tip.

Terry

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 24, 2006 12:12PM

Any problem with the line wrapping around a SF guide as a tip top? not fly line, but braided line seems to get fouled around any SF guides I use, and that's not een on the tip. Atch a fish put the rod down, pick it back up, untangle the line, cast.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 01:18PM

ALL of the float rods I build for folks have them...I think it is more durable, and me personnally like the looks of it in comparison to standard tip-tops.

Paul

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2006 11:24AM

Patrick, I let Paul Rotkis talk me into using a #8 Recoil sf spinning guide as my tip top along with the same #8 Recoils as running guides on my 13' Talon float rod - and I'm glad I did. When I placed my order, I ordered Recoil's ultralight fly tip top just in case and but didn't really like it. Although the Recoil looks different on the top, with all #8 sf on the top 6-7 feet of this rod, the line is dead straight and level. I hope I can just learn to cast a centerpin!

Posted by: Erik Godwin (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2006 05:06PM

Patrick,

I do that on all of my rods and love the results. One think I would mention is that I find tape difficult to work with when wrapping small single-foots like recoils near the tip. Instead of tape I quickly tie the guide in place with 10 or so turns of thread and a knot before wrapping it for real. It works for me...

Best,

Erik

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster