I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrap finish- i wasn;t thinking about colors
Posted by: Dennis Pantazis (---.69-128.unk.tds.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 12:11AM

belated turkey day to all and happy digestions. i used some of the quite time today to work on my rod project.

my blank is a matte gray rainshadow. i used garnet thread without color preserver and steel blue mettalic for trim bands. i did a couple as nail nots, but was not happy with the way they came out. then i did the rest as 3 wraps of mettalic a la ray adams writeup. i liked the results of the the double tags (if you will). nice tight. even appearance.

i applied finish today to the first part of my rod today. since i am still working on getting the guides lined up , i decided to finish the hook keeper and the decal areas. i mixed up a small batch of epoxy to see how it worked and how it behaved. i figured that these areas would be easiest to redo if i had to. i mixed a small batch of epoxy.

the garnet turned translucent, which is what i wanted. however, the trim bands' tags show through! i did not consider how translucent the thread would be when i wrapped the guides. at first glance, you do not really see the trim tag under the thread, but looking closely at the wrap, you can pick it out and know what it is.

so, now i am a torn on what to do. do i live with what i expect will be the tag ends of the metallic showing through the traslucent garnet thread or re-wrap at least the trim bands in a manner that will not show through. thing is, what is that method?

what do you do with metallic trims and translucent thread wraps?

dennis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrap finish- i wasn;t thinking about colors
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 24, 2006 12:58AM

Nail not would be the only method that I know of to not have tag ends show under the wrap. Use a toothpick or straight pin to put a dab of CP on the nail knot tags and let them dry and trim tag ends off with a pair of cuticle clippers

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jay Lindholm (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 01:29AM

I don't think that the metallic trim tags detract all that much from the wraps as long as they are neat, same length (3or4 turns), at a 90 degree angle, and the start and end points line up.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: November 24, 2006 08:20AM

Also keep them on the side of the rod not seen while in the fishing position.Rod builders are the only one who look at the non-business side of a rod to critique others work and get an idea where they can improve or offer advise.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: William Webster (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: November 24, 2006 09:16AM

Dennis, if you complete the trim bands separate from the other wrap (don't catch in your metallic under the garnet), you can usually get them down to 3 or 4 wraps if you are careful. When you pull your tag end under to complete the wrap, it is only under the metallic thread and cannot be seen. Tape your pull loop to the blank so your first wrap is over it. These wraps are very fragile, though, so a small dab of CP only on the last wrap of metallic thread can help hold in place. Or, if you catch in your metallic thread under the garnet, you only need it under 2 or 3 wraps. When you finish the main wrap, place your pull loop for the trim, wrap 2 - 3 turns of metallic, and only pull the tag under the metallic thread. You then only have your catch in thread visible under the garnet, while the tag end is under only the metallic wrap. That's probably clear as mud. I also believe neat trim tags are not a detractor, but I put mine opposite the guides, because when people look at the wraps, they always look at a guide.

Regards
Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster