I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

G-Loomis P904 Custom Blank 8-17lb.
Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.1dial.com)
Date: November 22, 2006 09:17PM

I recently purchased a G-Loomis P904 1 piece blank in the 8-17lb. class. Does anyone own this same identical P904 set up as a casting rod? I will be placing 8 double foot fuji guides on this blank.

I am going to use it for Redfish and Speckled Trout (Live Bait and Artificials)once completed and wanted to know if it performs as good as I was told it would. I have never owned a G-Loomis before. I paid $85 for the blank at a tackle dealer in Corpus Christi. It will be for personal use. Not clients. I thought $85 was not a bad price for a G-Loomis. I just wanted to hear from someone who has already put it to the test.

I will be putting a Abu-Garcia C-4 SERIES 5600C4 with 12lb test line and 25lb shock leader for Redfish and Trout.

Your information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Capt. Marvin Engel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: G-Loomis P904 Custom Blank 8-17lb.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2006 09:32PM

It's a great blank, but don't weigh it down with all double foot guides. In fact, do it and yourself a real favor and use the Simple Spiral on it. Put single foot fly type ceramics on the bottom and you'll have a very nice performing rod.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2006 09:32PM

The blank performs well - IMO, in the 7'6" length the HS9000 performs better for reds and trout on the flats - lighter and faster tip, strong butt. I live/build in Tampa, so the conditions/species are almost identical. I have never built one as a casting rod, however. I would think that would potentially detract from the action and the ability to use ultralight braided line. I build them as spinning only. The price you paid is MSRP for a P904-GL2 blank, so you did fine in that respect. We use 8# or 10# braid (2-3# mono diameter) and 15# or 20# flourocarbon leader so we can cast long distance to the schools without spooking them - no problem with 40"+ fish, just don't try to force a larger fish to you until it is ready.

Date: November 22, 2006 09:45PM

Tom, I do have 2 sets of the single foot guides. They are very light in weight. I will use the single foot guides since I have not placed the double foot guides on yet.

Do you think I need to put a double foot guide for the first one closest to the reel?

I will be using this setup just for the winter months down here fishing on the end of the jetties by boat in 30' to 50' of water and up close to some docks that are 50' in depth.

Most of the Redfish will be oversized this time of year in these particular areas and the Trout that are down that deep will be solid fish.

Marvin Engel

Date: November 22, 2006 10:01PM

Jim, How much does the HS9000 7'6" blank sell for over in Florida?
Marvin

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 10:52PM

Being from florida and having built on that blank before i can answer that question for ya marvin. That blank sells retail for around 85 here marvin and it is a good rod for reds or snook etc.

Date: November 22, 2006 11:33PM

Thanks for the information Billy. The tackle store I purchased the P904 at also had some G-Loomis 7'6" Burgundy colored 6-12lb. class blanks, but I wanted something in the 8-17lb class. I believe it will turn out to please me when I complete the setup.

Again thanks for the information Billy.

Capt. Marvin Engel

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2006 11:51PM

If you want pricing, just go to the G Loomis website and take a look - the MSRP is listed there with all their offerings. The "Burgundy" blank you saw was a GL3 Mahogany blank - at 7'6" and 6-12# line class, it could have well been the HS9000. FYI, it is sold as the GWR9000S Greenwater in a factory rod. G Loomis recommends the rod for reds, permit and stripers. It has a magnum butt and can turn even the largest reds - for the weight and size, it has surprising power.

Date: November 23, 2006 12:19AM

Jim, I will take a look at the Website. We do have some permit over here in the surf, but not as many as you all do over there. We also have a few Snook, but only out on the ends of the Jetties. My Dad lives in Port Mansfield in deeper south texas and they catch snook quite oftern down there. They have more snook the farther south you go from the Port Aransas-Aransas Pass area that I normally fish.

The corps of engineers just recently completed the Packery Channel project. It has been a big plus for us by giving us better tidal flow into Corpus Christi Bay and the upper laguna madre. There are more catches of snook at the packery channel jetties than just up north 18 miles at the Port Aransas ship channel jetty entrance. I have noticed that there are more Specks on the flats and on the platforms in Corpus Christi Bay.

Well Jim I appreciate the information you provided me.

Thanks again,
Capt. Marvin Engel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster