I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Drying motor info
Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.1dial.com)
Date: November 23, 2006 11:14AM

Tim, I am using the same size pulley that is on the Rod Wrapping machine. I made my own pulley using a piece of Nylon rod I had. All I had to do was just drill a hole and then run a tap that matched the set screw and I tighten it down on the shaft and it works fine.

The jaw I am using is the cheap one that came with the Rod Wrapping machine. I have purchased the aluminum spindle 3 jaw chuck to replace the original and the aluminum chuck and mount is superior to the cheap one that comes with the American Tackle rod wrapping setup.

Marvin

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.1dial.com)
Date: November 23, 2006 11:17AM

Steve, I will try to get the info for you. But it will be the mid to latter part of next week. I live out in the stix and will be going into town sometime next week to check my mail.

Marvin

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 23, 2006 11:25AM

Bill,
For the same reason that many of us build rods, wrappers and a dozen other things. Because we feel that we can build a better one to suit our needs. (such as your variable speed flocking motor) . We can build them to suit OUR needs and where their are only 2 or 3 speeds/types commercially available, I can get just about any speed motor that I want for under $10 We can make them the height, width and speed that we want

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2006 11:27AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2006 12:05PM

Mike---The best info that you have received here is from Marvin, and thats for several reasons. You can make any motor that you have controllable. Some things to take into consideration are as follows:

If you choose to use a DC motor, then you will need a rectifer set up to convert your house currant from AC to DC.

Any brush type motor can be operated with AC or DC.

If you cannot see brush holders ( the plastic caps ) it doesn't mean that the motor does not have brushes. Most motors have some kind of holes in the housing for cooling. If you can look inside and see if the armature ( the piece with the shaft through it ) and it has copper wire wound on it, ti is a brush type motor. If it appears to be just a metal assembly with a shaft, it is an induction motor.

To control the speed, you are reducing the voltage entering the motor. That voltage doesn't just disappear. It must be directed to another part of the circuit or burned off in the form of heat energy.Either method will work, but your components must be compatable. For example, one gentleman mentioned that a sewing machine foot pedal acted as an on/off switch for him. The reason is that the foot control has such high resistance at the top of the stroke, that when it was lowered enough to work, it was out of travel.

Without making this a mile long, I would pick the motor that I want to use and take it to a supplier and have him match a controller to it.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2006 12:07PM

I understand varial speed for wrapper - why for a dryer?

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: November 23, 2006 12:28PM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just insanely curious! Why in the world would
> anyone take the TIME, EFFORT and EXPENSE of
> fabricating a drying motor and stand when nearlY
> all of the vendors can ship one quickly and really
> rather cheaply. A few years ago I spent weeks and
> a small fortune getting spare gear motors from TV
> camera zoom lens power units - why? - because my
> Norton had the Vendors List on this site hidden I
> did not even know the stuff existed. Everybody
> talks about the value of their time when working
> on rods and pricing - hours spent chasing parts is
> also a cost.
>
> Gon Fishn

Hi Bill
In answer to your question some folks like to tinker as much as they like to build rods, I just recently put a fairly nice power wrapper together for about thirty bucks using stuff on hand or off the shelf at Ace hardware (Pictures here...
[groups.msn.com] )

I found some little gear motors for two bucks each here [www.sciplus.com] and the solid maple stand I made for the dryer motor came from the scrap bin at the local cabnet shop so my dryer was about 10 bucks if you figure I got 3 motors and had to pay a bit of shipping.

I could have easily just called any number of places and ordered a wrapper/dryer, even a Renzetti had I wanted one, but I got a heck of a lot more satisfaction desiging and building one of my own.

Happy Thanksgiving :)

Date: November 23, 2006 12:54PM

Bill, Because I can (I hope) LOL! I generally turn by hand for about an hour and then at 3 or 4 rpm. There are times when I want to turn faster or slower (marbling, applying epoxy, etc.) I would like the flexibility of simply dialing the speed that I want without changing from one dryer to another, and, most importantly, simply because , hopefully, I can!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2006 05:03PM

Mike you recently made a post that you had a power wrapper. The one you listed has one motor for variable speed wrapping and finishing and one constant speed for drying. Have you ever used the power wrapper in the variable speed mode for the marbeling and finish application task? I apply all finish on the power wrapper at variable speeds from O to an estimated 200 rpm.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: November 24, 2006 09:18AM

I , researched this topic about a year ago myself. I found out that the only way to safely make a motor be variable speed is to buy a gear motor and then attach a rheostat. I then looked at a different direction. I built a setup using three of the cheap motors and using belt and pulleys to get the speeds that I needed. I have a 6 rpm, 40 rpm and a 168 rpm on the the same setup using a jack shaft and plastic pulleys that I made on the lathe. I attacted them to a 2x12 plank and used vacum cleaner brush o-ring belts to get the variable speed. I just have to move the belts between motors and pulleys. I cut the pulleys different sizes to get more or less rpms. So the 168 is about 200, the 40 is at 40, and the 6 rpm at about 10 rpm. The whole cost is about 35$ and it works very well and safe. Just a different way to do things. Galen Briese

Date: November 24, 2006 11:02AM

I located an AC/DC motor that coupled with a speed controller SHOULD give me exactly what I want for under $20. Will let you know how it works out!

Bill, I have a power wrapper that I pretty much only use for sanding/cleaning grips on repair rods and sanding epoxy goofs. Othe than that, for me, it's a pain and I just don't care for them.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: November 25, 2006 05:43AM

Mike...
Just wanted to Thank You for that information you sent me yesterday !!

MaryLou

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Date: November 25, 2006 09:34AM

Glad to do it, MayLou

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster