I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who uses magnifier?
Posted by: Tom Church (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 07:07PM

All right all you guys over 60, do you use a magnifier and why. I currently use the headband style but as stated in an earlier post I am looking at a lamp with the magnifier attached. Pros, cons.... help me out here.

Tom Church

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who uses magnifier?
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 07:14PM

I use my headband magnifier more than the lamp type. Although I do use the light from the lamp for closeup work. I do use the lamp magnifier when I am doing a weave. So for wrapping guides I can get by with the headband. I am glad that I have both.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 07:20PM

Portability is the main issue for me. The swing arm magnifiers clamp or bolt to your bench and their reach is limited. They're great for buttwraps because you're doing that in the same spot on your bench time after time, but for guides, you're having to un-clamp it and re-clamp it every couple of guides as you move down the blank.

We sell both ( here---> [] ) and if I had to take a guess, I'd say we sell 40-50 lighted headband magnifiers for every swing arm magnifier that we sell.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 07:38PM

Only being in my 40`s I us ethe swing arm but more for the light than the magnifyer.I cant work through a magnifyer ,it makes my hands too big and i cant handle the thread.I more use it to check for gaps in butt wraps.I do swing it into place after applying finish to a butt wrap to keep it warn.Use of a thermometer with a memory says it stays fairly steady at 72degrees.Just about right for Threadmaster.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 07:40PM

I use my headlamp the most, but when lighting is more critical I have an Ott smal folding task light that I slide across behind my work and an Ott clip on magnifier that I move across the front as i need it. Both are light and easy to move quickly.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 07:54PM

Oh yeah, I'm im my 40's too!

Honestly, lighting helps me more than magnification which came to mind after reading Spencer's post. I have overhead lights, but the older I get, the dimmer they get! Stupid lights... Something that I DO use the heck out of is the clamp on type lights that you can get at any Hardware Store, Wallyworld, etc... They're less than $5 each. They take a regular 60W bulb and have a spring clamp and reflector on them. I usually have several on the wall behind me pointing at the wrapper, but have been known to move them to the front of the bench when my eyes start getting tired. They move VERY easliy and with one on either side of you, they're not in the way and can make a BIG difference. Worth a look.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2006 08:05PM

In my 40's too and like clockwork my 20/20 is going down hill...need to see a professional. Not being an optimologist, I'd venture to guess that maybe using non perscription and /or assisted magnifiers might be detrimental? (ever sit down with magnifiers for a bit, then take them off to see the replay of the game...and it takes quite a bit to focus?) To each his own.....we'll all wear Coke bottles like Doc Ski eventually....LOL!

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.gamma9.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: November 22, 2006 08:36PM

I am coming to 61 and have been using a lamp cum magnifier for the last 5 years. I still use it regularly for the second layer of A on A threads of the same color, especially black on black. Most of the time I use it after the first coat of epoxy to removed bubbles, thread frays and other minor faults. I don't and never use it for cross wraps as device does not move with your wraps as you move up and down. Since I bought the head gear from @#$%&, I now use this for cross wraps and find it very effective. I think my wraps are getting better and my closed wraps are now more accurate.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 22, 2006 08:37PM

I personally use the visor type magnifier and recently switched the the kind that Mark has at his place. I love it because it has several lenses that can be changed quickly and easily. One of them is even the coke bottle size that I need. Thanks MIke.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 08:37PM

Well, I am in the 40's too but I wear bi-focals already. And I need to go in and get checked again. It's getting bad. But yes, I use the Optivisor for detail work, or any thread work.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 08:47PM

I am over 60 and I have both the headband magnifier and a mag. lamp also. I use the lamp more for light than magnification. The advantage the headband has is that it does go over my glasses. The major problem I have with the headband is that I have difficultty finding tool that I have placed on the bench to work on wraps. I have to flip the headband up to find things that are right in front of me. I do use the magnifing lamp when I am doing straight wraps with my rod lathe. It seems I have a larger field of view with the mag. lamp. Use the method that gives you best results and everyones eye balls are different!

Ed Smith

Posted by: Jan Zeiters (---.dsl.dynamic.humboldt1.com)
Date: November 22, 2006 08:55PM

Optivisor

7X

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.acsalaska.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 09:43PM

I use the Ott more for the light than the magnification for the same aggravations in moving as previously mentioned. What is just perfect for magnification are the folding lenses that clip on to the bill of a hat. Sold at the fly shop for 'older' fly fishermen! Can see under them to find the razor blade and over them to watch the game and thru them to work. Those plus a headband LED light for black on black is the way to go!

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 10:29PM

as far as moving the Swing arm Magnafier lamps, you can get a Socket that goes into your bench (you drill the Holes) it has a nut on the bottom to secure it to bench. just move the lamp to the next hole in bench as you wrap

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 22, 2006 10:59PM

Pushing 70 and use an Optivisor. I also use some goosenecked halogen lights recycled from a previous life. Old eyes need both magnification and more light.

Stan

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.insightbb.com)
Date: November 22, 2006 11:19PM

Just a couple words of advice since this is what I get to do for a living:
As mentioned above, in general, the greater the working light >>------> the better in most cases. As we age, the human eye requires more light to see the same thing vs. when we were younger. Won't go into the anatomical reasons why. Light can be as important as magnification.
Try to use the least amount of magnification that you can get by with and still get the job done. In general, increasing the mag or power of your optical system decreases the depth of focus and maybe more importantly reduces your working distance.
If you can get the light source off to the side or better yet, slightly behind you pointed at your work in front, you will have less stray light entering the eye and therefore will reduce glare considerably.

Posted by: Fred Crum (66.6.80.---)
Date: November 23, 2006 12:51AM

I got my Optivisor last Dec and haven't looked back! My thanks to all who suggested it to me! That coupled with a good lighting should keep us all going for a few more years hopefully. I remember being fourty, does that count? LOL

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2006 02:35AM

I use both the optivisor and lighted magifier. Mostly my optivisor though.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2006 06:16AM

Over 60 and with bi-focals .. wearing glasses since age 5... I have resisted wearing any magnifiers. My best aid is a Halogen Desk Lamp that throws a very strong light right where I need it. When I need to inspect a wrap I use a Linen Tester Magnifier.. the kind that is 1" Square Metal Frame that folds flat when not in use. It lets light in from 3 sides. Good little tool.
It was developed for fabric manufacturing to count the stiches in fabric. Photographers use it to inspect film slides.

Rob: I always heard that prolongued use of magnifiers weakens the eyes. Is this factual? It also seems that my macro vision is better when I remove my glasses.

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (166.165.229.---)
Date: November 23, 2006 10:12AM

Tom,

If you will remove the "Hidden email address" from the site I will email you a good solution to the light and magnifer problem. You can find my email address and email me and I will reply if you don't want to publish you email address. Mine is available on this site.

Larry R. Tysinger

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster