I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fished my first rod
Posted by: Anson Lytle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2006 08:53PM

Took out my 5' 6" UL rod for it's first test. Although the big fish were landed on other setups, I did manage a few 1 lbs trout on it. The feel of the Matrix blank was quite nice and the rod performed nicely.

Although it wasn't the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, my first rod build performed nicely.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fished my first rod
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2006 09:05PM

Quite a feeling wasn't it!! There is nothing like that first fish caught on the first rod that you built!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2006 09:11PM

I suspect most feel the same way I did when I caught the first fish on the first rod I had built - you get a feeling of relief and perhaps even a bit of surprise when you realize that what you've made will actually get the job done. After that, subsequent rods you build are done with a bit more confidence. Eventually, you even begin to feel that what you're building is superior to what the commercial makers are building.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: November 18, 2006 09:59PM

Way to go Anson!

Ditto Mike & Tom!!
I'll never forget the first fish and better yet the first BIG fish where the rod was really
put to the test and passed beyond expectation. That feeling will stay with me for
the rest of my days. I hope your does too!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.ny-newyorkc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 18, 2006 11:00PM

I sure feel the same way as Mike and Tom. The first fish I got on my first rod was a 30" Muskie! A buddy and myself was up in northern Wisconsin fishing for Smallmouth and Walleye. Talk about a confidence builder!

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.139.141.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: November 19, 2006 01:30AM

It is indeed a good feeling to catch fish on a rod you made. I remember the first one I caught. I was looking closer at the way the rod was performing under load than I was the fish. I guess I was sort of surprised it worked!
Now, I still use a few store bought rods when I am fishing, but really want to catch them on my rods. Caught a nice spotted bass last week on a BPS rod, and my son was laughing because I was complaining that I didn't catch it on one of my rods.
Sooner or later, time and money permitting, all I will use is my own rods.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2006 08:02AM

Nice job Anson. That is a feeling that will stay with you always. The pride and joy of cathing fish on the rod YOU built, be it your first, next, or all in the future, all feel great.

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: November 19, 2006 09:24AM

great job, your hooked, no more store bought for you.

Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.1dial.com)
Date: November 19, 2006 10:43AM

All my rods I have on my boat are built by me. My rods get used by a different bunch of clients each trip. They have held up great even after going through the wear and tear of being used and jerked and dropped and everything else that happens to them being in different hands each trip. It does make you feel proud that something you built will hold up to extreme use. They are a little scratched from clients who do not know how to use a fishing rod, set the hook properly, hook everything in the boat on their cast, etc. But other than that a well built rod will stand up to all the elements.

Capt. Marvin Engel
Big M's Fishing Charters LLC

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2006 12:37PM

My first rod built from scratch 8' Spin rod third cast caught a 60# Black drum from the Beach here in Cape May county NJ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster