I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using bolts as mandrels
Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 09:38PM

Has anyone use bolts say 0.25 to 0.375 diameter for mandrels. My first effort to use them on 6-8 inch long bolts which I drilled an 1/8 of an inch dia. hole in the head of the bolt. I then tightened down th wood with the nut, placing the threaded end in the drive chuck of my lathe and the head of the bolt in the hole of the live center. I have encoutered problems with Andy Dear's mandrels because they were too long and I got all sorts of wobbleing. I might be nuts but comments would be appreciated.

Ed Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using bolts as mandrels
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 10:36PM

I am presently using 12" long 3/8" and 5/16" allthread in a powerdrill as a lathe so you are already way better set up then me. Wobbling (oscillation) usually means that the mandrel is bent (which given Andy's Rep is a stretch) or your bed is not true. SOMETHING is out of balance. The would not be any oscillation it everything was true and plumb. It has been quite a while since I worked on anything other than a hobby level lathe though.

Wish I could help more.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 10:41PM

Ed,
Every mandrel I make is run through 2 diferent lathes here in my shop at the full 18" length to make sure they're straight. I actually discard about 20%-30% of the ones I make because they're not straight. Every now and then one slips through, but not often. I doubt the mandrels are not straight, and if they are crooked it's because of incorrect use or perhaps damage in shipping...which does happens occasionally.

By the way,....bolts are not nearly as straigh as drill rod is. Are you sure your headstcok and tailstock are in alignment? What kind of lathe are you using?

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 10:44PM

Ed,

What diameter mandrel??? Can't you push any unused part of the mandrel through the chuck out the back of the head stock?? What kind of lathe do you have? Does your headstock and tailstock line up perfectly? Andy can make a mandrel any length that you need. I can't imagine it being the madrel, though. Did it by any chance get bent?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 11:12PM

Ed,

I use a Jet Mini with Andy's mandrels (length to fit the lathe) and have had no problem what-so-ever with the mandrels, only with operator error from time to time. I have, however, used very short bolts in the lathe to turn very narrow things like butt caps.

Stan

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 16, 2006 09:06AM

Thanks for the comments! I've beenusing a 6" bolt 1/4 dia. and an 8" bolt 3/8 inch diameter. I need to check the aligment of the head and tailstock on my lathe. I suspect that may be the problem.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2006 10:03AM

Ed, what are you using for a Chuck? I have a Oneway 2436 lathe with a decent live center and a Oneway Stronghold 4-jaw chuck. That setup is great for turning wood but I noticed some wobble due to using a 4-jaw chuck. 4-jaw chucks really aren't set up to center mandrels. I kind of fixed the wobble by using shim stock on the jaw faces to better center the mandrel and use a spindle steady if needed. The fix, in my case, was to start using a 3-jaw chuck which is better suited for holding round stock like mandrels. I recently purchased a 3-jaw chuck from Grizzly and had an adapter machined to fit my lathe, now all wobble is gone. If you need some short mandrels just pick up some drill stock from MSC, McMaster-Carr, or your local machine shop supply and cut one to fit. Or, you can run one of Andy's mandrels into the headstock to shorten it up, or run it long and place a spindle steady near the end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster