I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mesquite Wood Question
Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.1dial.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 09:20PM

I want to use Mesquite wood to make a handle on one blank. Do I need to let the Mesquite wood dry for a couple of months before turning, or can I use it fresh cut off of the tree?

I want to stain the piece of Mesquite after it is turned to desired size.

Thank you,
Marvin Engel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mesquite Wood Question
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 09:29PM

All of the wood I use in tuning inserts is either kiln dried, or left to air dry for several months---upwards of a year. I would cut the blanks you are going to turn oversized, Anchorseal all surfaces, then set them out to dry. I am not familiar with Mesquite, but would expect it to require a drying period.

Herb

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 09:38PM

Hi Marvin,

I've just turned several inserts from Mesquite and find it quite nice looking without any stain at all. The old "rule of thumb" for drying wood is one year per inch of thickness. If you try to turn it while still green you will likely find it hard to get a smooth finish. I'd suggest storing it in a very dry place like your attic for a year or so before working with it.

Harry

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 10:12PM

Marvin,
I used to turn tons of mesquite down here as it grows like a weed in Texas. Cut it into small chunks a bit oversize and dry it for about 4-6 months and you're good. Mesquite is like the 4th most stable wood in the world. Once it dries, it won't ever crack, check or warp....it's amazing wood really.
For a really cool effect take some pieces that are cracked and fill the cracks with turquoise dust and epoxy....really really nice. A lot of guys down here make jewlrey boxes that way. I am with harry....leave the stain off, it's beautiful as it is!

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Marvin Engel (---.1dial.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 11:01PM

I have plenty of Mesquite wood. Fresh cut and plenty of dried Mesquite. I want to turn some mesquite into the same size as the standard cork rings(1-1/4"OD X 1/4"ID X 1/2" wide and go from there. I will also probably make some one piece handles out of Mesquite and bore them on my wood lathe.

I appreciate all the information.

Thank you,
Capt. Marvin Engel
(In The Heart of South Texas)
Big M's Fishing Charters LLC

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 11:19PM

Mesquite is one of my favorite woods (thanks to Andy) Beautiful with just Tru Oil on it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Adam Brown (---.direcpc.com)
Date: November 16, 2006 08:46AM

Wood does not shrink evenly in all directions so it has to be well seasoned before final shaping, but you can rough shape your piece before drying—just leave enough material on so that final shaping will remove any distortions/warping that develops. Another option is having your wood stabilized, if you look at any wood turning catalogue get dips to do this. I have never used any of these products, only know that they exist.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: November 16, 2006 10:03AM

And, mesquite stabilizes very well.

Andy

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: November 16, 2006 10:20AM

I haven't used Mesquite but I dry other wood I cut green by cutting the green wood into desired lengths, (8 inches in my case) and then breaking that down further into blocks 1 1/2 inches X 1 1/2 inches. I then seal the ends of the blocks with wax or glue and allow them to dry, Drying time will vary by the temperature and humidity of the storage location as well as by wood varieties. I use a small digital postal scale, reading in grams, to determine when the blocks are dry by occasionally weighing each individual block and recording that weight on the block. As time progresses the blocks will tend to lose weight more slowly. When I get repeated weights that remain the same or actual begin to vary higher and lower with each weighing I consider the wood cured and ready to turn. There may be easier and better ways to determine when the wood is dry and stable but this has worked well for me.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.mt.access.transaria.net)
Date: November 16, 2006 05:10PM

If you have plenty of wood, try drying a piece of it in the microwave. Put it on a paper towel and "cook" it for about a minute, take it out and let it cool completely, repeat until it's dry. You can use Stan's method of weighing it before you start and when it stops losing weight, it's dry. I've done this several times and it works fine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2006 05:11PM by Gerry Rhoades.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 16, 2006 06:15PM

I'm doing Gerry's microwave method right now and so far so good!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster