I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rules Clarification
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 15, 2006 08:21AM

There was a post made yesterday complaining about a company's service. I have been asked by 3 persons why it was not taken down. Plain and simple, it did not violate any of the board rules.

Complaints or comments on products, service, dealers or manufacturers have never been prohibited on this site. What is prohibited, is any such thing that contains insults, personal attacks, bad language, etc. No one has ever had a post removed from this site for posting a complaint. But many have had posts removed for going beyond civil statements and turning a complaint into a personal attack.

And for the record, no one has ever had a post removed from this site because they disagreed with me or me with them. Never. Not a single time. Such a thing has never happened. Never. In fact, while I do not allow personal attacks or insults in posts here, on the occasions when such things are made against me personally, they are left up. They are not removed.

There is a right way and wrong way to do things. Most people understand that a well written, civil and reasonable complaint gets much better results than a rant filled with hateful insinuations. Again, complaints against products or companies are not prohibited here, but they are expected to be done in a civil manner. This is spelled out clearly in the rules posted at the top of this page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2006 09:08AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rules Clarification
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 08:34AM

I don't know specifically the posts at issue, but Kudos to you Tom. You run a great site.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.ord.scnet.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 09:47AM

I have sometimes wondered why you take the abuse that a few give you publically here when you remove the same type thing when they are aimed at others.

Overall you should know you are doing things in the best manner possible. If not, then this board would not be the most often used by the custom rod builders. Stick to the rules because they have helped make this place what it is. Public forums are a hotbed of all sorts of shenanigans. Usually it is a few who ruin it for the many. Forums are better off when they shoo away those few who cannot behave like mature adults. You have done a good job of that and yet still ensure that the maximum amount of free exchange of information can take place.

Date: November 15, 2006 10:01AM

Well when they're talking about me, it means that they're giving somebody else a break.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 10:43AM

Tom, while what you say about giving someone else a rest is true, when someone is hammering on you, it's like the old saying "biting the hand that feeds you".

Date: November 15, 2006 10:46AM

Maybe, but I don't mind. The true test is whether or not your numbers are going up or going down and at what level. The success of this site and the magazine tell me that I'm doing things in a manner that the vast majority approve of. I am not so naive as to believe that I could ever do anything that would please everyone.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 12:02PM

Tom,
It doesn't get said much but you certainly run the best rodbuilding forum on the net. I personally appreciate the fact that opinions are welcome but personal attacks are not. There are too many other forums out there that are (in my opinion) out of control. Profanity, personal vendetta's, egos,etc. I can't imagine the work that must be involved in maintaining this site and I'd just like to say "thank you" for your dedication to it. There are tons of great info as well as good people on here and it's your commitment that makes it such. Please don't stop what your doing because you are doing a great job. My .02. Randy.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 12:50PM

Ditto. Most rod building sites other than this one see very little use. What use they do get is usually from the same half dozen or so builders. There is a reason why this one has such a large audience and so many active participants.

I also saw Billy's post about the lathe and it wasn't so bad. I can understand his upset after spending so much money. I think he'll get things in order. They're just naturally slow.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 05:48PM

The Goverment should be run so well

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 06:03PM

" As any craft or art form develops, increasing experimentation takes place, new techiques are discovered, and the fronters pushed further forward. As interest builds, more and more people involve themselves as practitioners of the craft. Communication between these people is absolutely essential for the development to continue. History has shown that when for whatever reason communication fails to exist, little or no real developement occurs. The individuals involved are isolated. Each is regulated to the necessity of reinventing the wheel himself. And this process must be repeated over and over, step by step. Lost is the stimulation from knowledge of new accomplishments. So, too, is the challenge to improve oneself, and in doing so, improve the craft for the betterment of all. The art form stagnates. It never really develps, and in many dies a lingering death." Thanks Tom for keeping and helping to maintain a common language amoung rod builders. I wish I would have had a site like this 30 years ago.

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: November 15, 2006 07:20PM

I suspect it may have been the post I made regarding assistance in contacting PSI but I cannot be sure about that. It is not important either that I know. But I reiterate the last thing I said in my last post on that thread and that was what a great site this is. I received assistance in spades.

John

Date: November 15, 2006 08:08PM

John,

It was not yours and there was absolutely nothing wrong with your post or the request it contained. Don't worry about it.

Posted by: Alan Royce (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 08:50PM

Tom,

I run my own business and I know what you mean about sometimes having to put up with something that you might not let go by with someone else. Although I am not sure it was the case here.
HOWEVER, you should be very proud of what you have done with this site. Looking around the net, I know that what take place here does not happen in very many other sites if any. The free flow of information and Ideas here is just unheard of.

I guess what I am saying is I am sorry you have to put up with this type of thing. But THANK YOU very much for doing so. This site would just not be the same if you did not alow that type of exchange. I am sure I speak of everyone and I would bet even those that complain. YOU ARE DOING AN INCREDIABLE THING HERE, by letting all have a voice. KEEP IT UP.

Thank you!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2006 10:51PM

Tom,

I'll add my thank you as well. Not thinking, and using poor judgement, I've made a few post responses that were deleted by you. I thank you for doing that, it reminded me that some things aren't appropriate in this forum. That being said; Has the RodCrafting forum been taken down? I haven't been able to get into it for a couple months now. Keep op the good work!!!

Bill in WV

Date: November 17, 2006 09:00AM

I have no idea about the goings on of other forums. Their sponsor link here is still paid up for a few more months and until I'm asked to take it down, I won't.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster