I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread spool
Posted by: italo busi (---.44-151.net24.it)
Date: November 14, 2006 02:55PM

Hello,
sameone from this forum, can help me to find where I can buy and import in Italy same wood spool ?
I needed it because in Italy I cannot find Madeira small spool, so I needed to put the thread from the big spool into a smaller one . I Needed about 50 pieces.
Thanks Italo Busi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread spool
Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.130.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 03:42PM

Italo

I get thread in four ounce spools and load it on to smaller spools. The wood spools work for a while then the pressure of the thread will deform them and eventually break. I had a machinist make some spools out of aluminum. When I used wood spools I found it hard to find good ones and it was hard to find the size spools I wanted. The aluminum spools have worked great now for about ten years. It was a bit expensive but I use them all the time and want to have some more made.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 07:13PM

Hi Italo and Thomas. I have bought 1oz size spools simiar to the old Gudebrod spools and am quite happy with them. I am including the site info but I am not sure if that is allowed. If not then please email me and I will give you the info. [www.craftparts.com] They have all kinds of stuff there.

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.131.du.eli.iinet.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 07:41PM

Doc

I had a bunch of the SP-8300 spools. They work fine until you load them up about 20 times then they tend to deform and break, because of the pressure of the thread. I don't have any of them left, they all broke, but I took one to the machinist to have my aluminum spools made. I also used to have a bunch of the old Gudebrod spools they all deformed and broke too. For somebody that doesn't wrap as many rods as I do they would probably work just fine and the price is good.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 14, 2006 09:59PM

I guess I dont run into that problem because thread colors I use a lot (ie Black and some other major colors) I use the 4 oz spools and wrap directly from them. I modified some of my thread trays to handle 4 oz spools. Also when do load thread onto wood spools I put very little pressure on them. I guess that is why they last so long for me.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2006 10:13PM

Italo,

I have hundreds of the old Gudebrod wooden 1-ounce spools. You are welcome to them. I can bring them to the show in February or try to ship you some, but it might be a couple weeks before I can get to the post office to get the custom forms filled out and mailed off to you. Just let me know.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 15, 2006 12:24AM

Perhaps you could find some tailor shops or alterationists that would save empty ones for you. I know that typically they use the large spools for the predominate colors, but often use small ones for unpopular colors.

Posted by: italo busi (---.44-151.net24.it)
Date: November 15, 2006 12:49AM

Hello,
thank you very much at all for your welcomed and apreciated answers and tips.
For sure I will try to do what you suggested me.
Thank you again,
ciao Italo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster