I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which rod blank for wifey?
Posted by: Brent Nelson (72.24.181.---)
Date: November 11, 2006 11:34PM

My lovely wife has stated that since we moved back to Idaho, and she has seen new life come into my eyes at the prospect of once again fishing my home waters, that she would like to join me and learn to fish. I have decided to build some rods this winter, and would like to make a special one for her. I was hoping someone might have some suggestions. We will likely be fishing mostly lakes from the bank, with some river and creek fishing. I would like to build her a versatile rod that she can enjoy in a variety of these settings. I know it is possible to actually have rods specialized for every different body of water, but I fished with only one for years, and it did fine. I used to fish with a fenwick HMG. My wife is 5' 4", in good shape, and pretty strong. She has not fished since she was very little, and said she would prefer to try mostly spinners/jigs/spoons/etc. What do you guys suggest for the blank and size? I was thinking about Lamiglas IMS72ML or CTS C601 or 602. I would like the rod to be light, sensitive, and medium to fast action. Likely will be using 6 lb test, 8 lb max.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which rod blank for wifey?
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 12:00AM

Brent,
I've become very partial to the CTS line. I really like them alot. I also like the G. Loomis stuff especially the GLX line. Super light and strong but pricey. I'm assuming that your looking at a spinning rod so my suggestion would be CTS in the weights you described probably 6' or 6.5'. My .02. Randy.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 12:28AM

Brent;
Earlier this year I built my wife a rod. Set it up as a bait caster, because she gets frustrated with flipping a spinning reel. But put a Zebco 50 classic reel on it because she cannot use a bait caster either, and does not fish enough to get proficient with either. Chose a 6'6 med. blue blank that I got from Andy dear at the rod show. Used purple and gold thread. The color came out perfect for a woman. Chose med because she can cast variety of baits get and good distance with out a lot of effort. Med. is also a little more forgiving when fighting fish. Went with 6'6" because she is 5'4" inches tall also and it's an easy length for her to handle. She told me last night she now wants a short ultra light.

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 01:20AM

There are a bunch of blanks out there that would work well. My wife and son both use rods made on St Croix Avid blanks (6'6", 2 piece, M or ML powern) that are good all around rods for walleye fishing (and anything you want to go after with 8lb test line). My goto rod is a bit lighter (6' Legend Elite blank, L) and my daughter really likes the Light power rod (5' Cascade Composites blank IIRC) I made for her as she is very good at catching crappie and trout with it. All of those are good from a bank. On the other hand, if you need to reach out farther or tuck in under branches (trees covering a pool that you really can't cast to) a 10'6" or 12' salmon/steelhead blank (6-12lb test) can work wonders. There's one pool on a local trout water that I can't cast to with a fly rod, can't wade (too deep), can't cast to with any rod (branches), but I can sneek my 12' steelhead rod in between the branches and flick a bobber worm rig into and catch a fair number of fish. The long rods also work nice along certain stretches of the Mississippi river that I like to fish. So you really have a lot of choice but any G Loomis, Rainshadow, St. Croix blank appropriate for the situation you plan on fishing will work well.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 01:41AM

Personally, I would go with the CTS. It's an incredibly light rod that is a real joy to fish with. You can get it in an array of colors (including bubble gum pink that is actually really good looking.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.153.7.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 05:58AM

Brent :

As my wife likes to fish too .. I think that I'll let you in on the best rod building secret ever !!! Get her involved !!!! teach her about blanks guides an so on. Let her pick it out what feels good to her .
We just built my wife a birthday rod on a root beer color blank and she wanted it wraped in Black Hills Gold colors. Turned out great ! Every one she shows it to likes it ....All but the Red Fish and they have sore mouths and can't speak about it !! Trust me on this one .... It might help you on your next build.....
Now lets us in on a story that is going around here in Florida.... Do you use taters for bait in Idaho for the monsters?? (lol) Good Luck.

Tight Lines
Bill Rice

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.gamma9.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: November 12, 2006 06:21AM

Brent,

Just built this beautiful Gloomis CB 756 Mahogany ( now is in bronze), 6'3", line 12-20. Nice spinning rod for a fair lady. Infact I built it for someone's girlfriend. Just posted recently .

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 09:55AM

Brent;
Even though I posted earlier, I really like Bill Rice’s Idea. I going to do that with the rod my wife wants now.
Thanks Bill!

Posted by: Brent Nelson (72.24.181.---)
Date: November 12, 2006 11:57AM

Great idea! I think she'll really enjoy learning about the whole process. You just know it will drive her nuts watching the blank being built, too, as she'll want to see the finished product (as we all do)! The only potential problem I see is that she is originally from Wisconsin, and will possibly want a blank wrapped with Green Bay Packer colors (lol). But seriously, thanks again for the idea. I'm going to show her all the components involved today, and we'll go look at blanks. The selection here is limited, but she can always look with me on the net as well, once she gets a rough feel for the size and weight.

In reply to whether or not we use potatoes to catch the lunkers up here, we actually use mr. potato head lure kits. Real potatoes at hard to keep on the hook. :)

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 06:06PM

Here's my 2 cents worth. If your wife does not have a lot of experience fishing I would build her a Tiger Eye. They are low priced sharp looking blanks and look good with fall colored threads and gold metalic trim bands. Then, for her birthday or anniversary later on, you can build her that high dollar rod and when she feels the difference she will totally understand why you need to build yourself some new high end rods! :)

Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster